2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Mgomrjsurf
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Re: 2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Post by Mgomrjsurf »

Still one in MN with name on Building.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

The Miami Kmart is downsizing with walls going up, but here's the catch: It is going over a part of the salesfloor that had already been vacated by Kmart a few years before. I wonder if any new decor will go up in that area.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kmart/comments ... ubdivided/
Mgomrjsurf wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:48 pm Still one in MN with name on Building.
This is quite common for retailers who go bankrupt or are low on cash in general.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BatteryMill wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:07 am The Miami Kmart is downsizing with walls going up, but here's the catch: It is going over a part of the salesfloor that had already been vacated by Kmart a few years before. I wonder if any new decor will go up in that area.
Mgomrjsurf wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:48 pm Still one in MN with name on Building.
This is quite common for retailers who go bankrupt or are low on cash in general.
One has to assume if they are spending money to build a wall, someone is subleasing the space. I can't imagine they'd spend money unless there was a good reason and for them good reason means something to do with monetizing real estate.
trainman
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by trainman »

"Store Closing" signs are now up on the Burbank Sears.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:47 am
BatteryMill wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:07 am The Miami Kmart is downsizing with walls going up, but here's the catch: It is going over a part of the salesfloor that had already been vacated by Kmart a few years before. I wonder if any new decor will go up in that area.
One has to assume if they are spending money to build a wall, someone is subleasing the space. I can't imagine they'd spend money unless there was a good reason and for them good reason means something to do with monetizing real estate.
I remember seeing it posted somewhere that At Home was taking the rest of the space for their store.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was driving around San Leandro, California last night, and it seemed like there were tons of furniture stores in former abandoned retail locations. These were rundown strip mall locations near main streets.

I could not believe that there were so many. There were few cars in the parking lots, but they were all open for business on a Friday night. Furniture stores seem to survive without the need for crowds.

Perhaps Kmart and Sears could convert to furniture stores. The Sears in Concord, California has lots of furniture and home furnishings. Furniture stores seem to be profitable these days with so many people buying houses instead living in apartments.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on October 8th, 2022, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 9:47 am I was driving around San Leandro, California last night, and it seemed like there were tons of furniture stores in former abandoned retail locations. These were rundown strip mall locations near main streets.

I could not believe that there were so many. There were few cars in the parking lots, but they all open for business on a Friday night. Furniture stores seem to survive without the need for crowds.

Perhaps Kmart and Sears could convert to furniture stores. The Sears in Concord, California has lots of furniture and home furnishings. Furniture stores seem to be profitable these days with so many people buying houses instead living in apartments.
I read somewhere that these furniture stores are profitable mainly because of the financing options that they offer buyers. Same as cash sells product apparently in furniture stores. Beside that I do think there is a market for a quality furniture store that is between IKEA and the super high end places like Basset. Maybe that type of store is Ashley or Havertys. I'm not sure. Also, I think there is a good bit of furniture sold at places like Homesense. They have a location near me and I see people buying furniture pretty regularly. Maybe there is a market for old Eddie to get into once he finally closes down Sears and Kmart.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

If I found out that Eddie was behind ANYTHING...............................I would run for the hills.

Don't care if every single person on the planet raved and loved it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

mjhale wrote: October 8th, 2022, 11:32 am
Alpha8472 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 9:47 am I was driving around San Leandro, California last night, and it seemed like there were tons of furniture stores in former abandoned retail locations. These were rundown strip mall locations near main streets.

I could not believe that there were so many. There were few cars in the parking lots, but they all open for business on a Friday night. Furniture stores seem to survive without the need for crowds.

I read somewhere that these furniture stores are profitable mainly because of the financing options that they offer buyers. Same as cash sells product apparently in furniture stores. Beside that I do think there is a market for a quality furniture store that is between IKEA and the super high end places like Basset. Maybe that type of store is Ashley or Havertys. I'm not sure. Also, I think there is a good bit of furniture sold at places like Homesense. They have a location near me and I see people buying furniture pretty regularly. Maybe there is a market for old Eddie to get into once he finally closes down Sears and Kmart.
Living Spaces and Rooms for Less?
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

mjhale wrote: October 8th, 2022, 11:32 am

Like the appropriately named “Conn’s”