2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: 2022: 11 Kmart, 29 Sears stores remain...

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 9:18 am

And the shareholders as well......

:lol:
Well the shareholders lost out in the bankruptcy but I'm sure the better connected ones got out before it all came down.

I get the impression the current management group/Simon are trying to make a go of it at JCP. The alternative would have been the entire chain folded at once. Frankly they are such a terrible retailer I wouldn't have cared. I'd have rather seen Sears stay alive than JCP. Maybe they could have tried to merge Sears Hardlines 10 years ago (which was still a very productive business then) into JCP's clothing (bad but better program than Sears...) and it may have limped along longer.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I should have said stakeholders.

;)
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

submariner wrote: December 31st, 2021, 3:37 pm Based on data available as of December 31st, 2021, here's where we stand:

Kmart: 5 stores in the 50 States, 1 in Guam, 1 in Puerto Rico, and 4 in the USVI.
• Key West, FL
• Hamilton, MT
• Avenel, NJ
• Westwood, NJ
• Bridgehampton, NY
• Tamuning, GU
• Hato Rey, PR
• Frederiksted, VI
• St. Croix, VI
• St. Thomas (Tutu Park Mall), VI
• St. Thomas (Lockhart Gardens), VI

Sears: 27 in the 50 states, and 2 in Puerto Rico remain.
• Anchorage, AK
• Burbank, CA
• Concord, CA
• Stockton, CA
• Whittier, CA
• Fort Collins, CO
• Fort Lauderdale, FL
• Miami, FL
• Orlando, FL
• Palm Beach Gardens, FL
• Honolulu, HI
• Overland Park, KS
• Lafayette, LA
• Frederick, MD
• Braintree, MA
• Westland, MI
• Jersey City, NJ
• Massapequa, NY
• Newburgh, NY
• Greensboro, NC
• Camp Hill, PA
• Media, PA
• Willow Grove, PA
• El Paso, TX
• Pharr, TX
• Tukwila, WA
• Union Gap, WA
• Hato Rey, PR
• Naranjito, PR
I'm pretty sure the Kendall Kmart in Miami is still open? Either way, interesting to see there's still quite a bit of Sears out there even if Kmart is super paltry now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Take a look on Google Maps of the Jersey City, NJ Sears.

The inside of the store if you focus on the flooring and the fixtures doesn't look too bad. But in recent photos if you start to look at the ceiling you start to notice some things. Missing tiles, stained tiles, tarps, all over the place. In some cases surrounding lights that are actually appear to be turned on...
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: January 5th, 2022, 11:23 pm Take a look on Google Maps of the Jersey City, NJ Sears.

The inside of the store if you focus on the flooring and the fixtures doesn't look too bad. But in recent photos if you start to look at the ceiling you start to notice some things. Missing tiles, stained tiles, tarps, all over the place. In some cases surrounding lights that are actually appear to be turned on...
Oh, so it sounds like it has been downgraded to 'Kmart' :P :lol:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

It sounds like most of these have subleases like Primark, Whole Foods etc. that probably are the only reason it's still open. I wonder how much longer before they just turn the lights off on the rest of it. At this point just to get merchandise bought and shipped in they have to have more employees on the corporate/distribution side than in the remaining stores. Unless the hypothesis on this board is true, that they have given up and hired a liquidator like Great American or Hilco as their source of merchandise. Fast Eddie Lampert should just turn the rest of the store into a Dave and Busters/Escape Room/Laser Tag place. It'll probably drive higher sales volume than this pathetic fleet of moldy old empty stores. Heck, some of these have so many weird offices, corridors and hallways that they're basically already set up for the Escape Room concept, no construction required!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

submariner wrote: December 31st, 2021, 3:37 pm Based on data available as of December 31st, 2021, here's where we stand:

Kmart: 5 stores in the 50 States, 1 in Guam, 1 in Puerto Rico, and 4 in the USVI.
• Key West, FL
• Hamilton, MT
• Avenel, NJ
• Westwood, NJ
• Bridgehampton, NY
• Tamuning, GU
• Hato Rey, PR
• Frederiksted, VI
• St. Croix, VI
• St. Thomas (Tutu Park Mall), VI
• St. Thomas (Lockhart Gardens), VI

Sears: 27 in the 50 states, and 2 in Puerto Rico remain.
• Anchorage, AK
• Burbank, CA
• Concord, CA
• Stockton, CA
• Whittier, CA
• Fort Collins, CO
• Fort Lauderdale, FL
• Miami, FL
• Orlando, FL
• Palm Beach Gardens, FL
• Honolulu, HI
• Overland Park, KS
• Lafayette, LA
• Frederick, MD
• Braintree, MA
• Westland, MI
• Jersey City, NJ
• Massapequa, NY
• Newburgh, NY
• Greensboro, NC
• Camp Hill, PA
• Media, PA
• Willow Grove, PA
• El Paso, TX
• Pharr, TX
• Tukwila, WA
• Union Gap, WA
• Hato Rey, PR
• Naranjito, PR
Strike my original post. There is no full line Sears dept. store in Honolulu. They sold it back to the mall owner and it closed in 2013. They do have a small appliance and mattress only store there that opened in 2017. The space was redeveloped into an expansion of Ala Moana Mall (which I believe is still the highest grossing mall in the US, and quite a fun place to shop despite being laid out like a labyrinth).

I wonder if any of the other above listed locations are just appliance and mattress stores?
Bradford011
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Bradford011 »

I wasn't aware there was a K Mart on Guam. But then again it opened 20 years after I was there. I find it interesting that attitudes towards the Japanese have changed, but then again the generation that lived under their rule from 1942 until 1944 are now gone...

The Leesburg store closed in 2003 while the Herndon store stuck around until 2017 when it finally closed. The inside was gutted and revamped for an LA Gym, an IHOP and MOD Pizza which opened in 2019.

The small Sears store in Leesburg closed in 2019.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 7:48 am
storewanderer wrote: January 5th, 2022, 11:23 pm Take a look on Google Maps of the Jersey City, NJ Sears.

Oh, so it sounds like it has been downgraded to 'Kmart' :P :lol:
I've never seen a Kmart with a ceiling in that condition... kind of surprised the building is even holding. Maybe they are trying to destroy the thing and collect insurance.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:14 pm It sounds like most of these have subleases like Primark, Whole Foods etc. that probably are the only reason it's still open. I wonder how much longer before they just turn the lights off on the rest of it. At this point just to get merchandise bought and shipped in they have to have more employees on the corporate/distribution side than in the remaining stores. Unless the hypothesis on this board is true, that they have given up and hired a liquidator like Great American or Hilco as their source of merchandise. Fast Eddie Lampert should just turn the rest of the store into a Dave and Busters/Escape Room/Laser Tag place. It'll probably drive higher sales volume than this pathetic fleet of moldy old empty stores. Heck, some of these have so many weird offices, corridors and hallways that they're basically already set up for the Escape Room concept, no construction required!
Yet somehow the Sears in Whittier has a 4.0 Rating on Google Maps. How can that be?

Escape Room sounds good.

They also are replying to negative reviews. They are suggesting people with complaints such as, fitting rooms not open, contact a HomeServies e-mail address for further assistance. Maybe the customer service department for the stores got shut down and Home Services handles that function now.