Papa Johns logo change

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Papa Johns logo change

Post by SamSpade »

Super S wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 8:56 am A logo change means little if they don't do something to improve their product.
I made the mistake of trying their "NY style" last night. I was excited to see they have Canadian bacon as a topping. The meat was cut in the same way Little Caesear cuts its ham (weird matchstick style pieces) and the overall product was horrid. What a tragic error.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 12:12 pm
Super S wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 8:56 am A logo change means little if they don't do something to improve their product.
I made the mistake of trying their "NY style" last night. I was excited to see they have Canadian bacon as a topping. The meat was cut in the same way Little Caesear cuts its ham (weird matchstick style pieces) and the overall product was horrid. What a tragic error.
It's hard to screw up pizza, but Papa John's figured out a way. I tried them a few times when I still lived in Vancouver, WA and just gave up on them. There are many options in the segment which have a better product.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 4:55 pm
It's hard to screw up pizza, but Papa John's figured out a way. I tried them a few times when I still lived in Vancouver, WA and just gave up on them. There are many options in the segment which have a better product.
I used to order from them years ago for office lunch meetings because they were the only chain to allow online ordering. I could order pizza when I got in at 8am and have it at our noon meeting. But once that technological advantage went away, I stopped ordering from them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Little Caesar is a better product than Papa John's. It is certainly at least priced appropriately. Little Caesar does actually make the dough in the unit from scratch, the tomato sauce is mixed in store from a plain sauce base and a spice packet, and some of the vegetables are cut in the store (assuming they still have any vegetables). Also I find the crust at Little Caesar to be soft whereas the one at Papa John's is sort of rubbery (reminds me of something frozen and defrosted, but they say it is better pizza fresh dough).

Those weird chunks of ham at Little Caesar are cheaper than a normal slice since it is basically like the un-sliceable not nice looking parts (think those cans of chopped olives vs. a sliced olive). But if Papa John's is "better ingredients" why are they sourcing that type of a topping?

Little Caesar used to use pepperoni-like round slices of Canadian Bacon. I guess they discontinued that topping entirely.

I think the thing that makes some of these big chain pizzas most disgusting is the heavy use of spray can non-stick solution (oil?) on the pans used to cook the pizzas. If they do not clean the pans properly between use and get the residual of that spray out, the dough from the next pizza gets that flavor and it is just awful. You already have a lot of grease from the cheese and certain of the toppings, add old re-cooked spray can grease to the mix and you come up with a disgusting combination.

You do not see many independent pizza places, especially ones using brick ovens, use that spray. They make the pizza and put it into the oven. And to bring back the old Shakey's thread I don't think they used it either.