Taco Bell Canada closes all locations in Quebec

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Taco Bell Canada closes all locations in Quebec

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://cultmtl.com/2022/01/taco-bell-c ... e-closing/

Don't know how many locations they had there in the first place, but Taco Bell Canada has announced that all of their locations in Quebec are closing. Quebec has only had Taco Bell since 2007, but it appears that these locations have been closing gradually over time, and there are now no remaining locations in the province.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Taco Bell Canada closes all locations in Quebec

Post by jamcool »

Despite introducing the Poutine Enchirito!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder why they didn't make it.

Food in Canada is quite bland. I could see the low quality Taco Bell food which is primarily flavored by various sauces which are quite subjective as to if you like them or not, perhaps not really going over too well there. I don't even consider Taco Bell to be "Mexican Food." It is something else, like its own food type.

Chipotle isn't in Quebec either.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Quebec really isn’t “Canada” either
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: January 9th, 2022, 12:06 pm Quebec really isn’t “Canada” either
It appears PFK is okay for Quebec.

Also looks like maybe the Taco Bell units were co-brands.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 9th, 2022, 6:35 pm
jamcool wrote: January 9th, 2022, 12:06 pm Quebec really isn’t “Canada” either
It appears PFK is okay for Quebec.

Also looks like maybe the Taco Bell units were co-brands.
Quebec seems to have a much better blend of international restaurants than other parts of Canada which makes it a better food destination. You see things like Portuguese rotisserie chicken for example which is unbelievably delicious. And real poutine made with same day fresh cheese curds is addictive. Prior to the pandemic I would spend about two weeks each summer in Montréal. I do not remember ever seeing a Taco Bell there or in neighboring cities. I do remember seeing one in Ontario on the highway to Ottowa.

Most of the local Montréal fast food burger chains are just abysmal. Tasteless overcooked unseasoned hamburgers. Went to a chain called Harvey's which seemed to be everywhere and I would describe the very expensive burger as worse than Jack In The Box. I don't think there was a drop of moisture left in that meat. Extra well done and dry seems to be the way a burger is served everywhere in Canada. I think there is a directive from the government to cook ground beef products to well done there. Ironically, many Quebec steakhouses have a temperature option below rare, called "blue". For all intents and purposes it's a room temperature steak that was flash seared on both sides. So you can get a raw steak for dinner or a extra well done hamburger. Aside from KFC... excuse me, PFK I do not recall any chicken sandwich or chicken finger based chain there. Burgers rule fast food there.

Interestingly enough there are A&W Root Beer burger restaurants practically on every block. Must have at least 100 locations on the isle of Montréal alone. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more locations just in Quebec than in their remaining store fleet across the USA. They do have a trimmed down menu at those stores that reminds me somewhat of Wendy's, basically a core burger that is single, double or triple plus a few seasonal specials. They do not make the root beer on site at any of these restaurants - but I'm not really convinced that they made it from scratch at the last couple US A&W locations I visited either. The density of McDonald's restaurants in Montréal is also remarkable - also seems like they have at least a hundred.

Canada bans many of the chemicals and artificial ingredients along with genetic engineering we have in American food. Usually we overeat our way through Montréal - yet I never feel weighed down, bloated or get indigestion from their food as I frequently experience with fast food here. You see things there that are just plain different. American strawberries are huge things that were bred to be shipped through big freight trucks and distribution centers. Quebec strawberries are no larger than an American raspberry - and they're just delightful. The flavor is super concentrated and amazing. The produce markets such as Marche Atwater are absolute jewels - picture photogenic displays like Pike Place in Seattle, but span multiple city blocks and are surrounded by little specialty shops like authentic French bakeries that are out of this world and gourmet Butchers.

Once things are back to normal I can't wait to return to Quebec.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Me too!!!

:D
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

ClownLoach wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:26 am
Interestingly enough there are A&W Root Beer burger restaurants practically on every block. Must have at least 100 locations on the isle of Montréal alone. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more locations just in Quebec than in their remaining store fleet across the USA. They do have a trimmed down menu at those stores that reminds me somewhat of Wendy's, basically a core burger that is single, double or triple plus a few seasonal specials. They do not make the root beer on site at any of these restaurants - but I'm not really convinced that they made it from scratch at the last couple US A&W locations I visited either. The density of McDonald's restaurants in Montréal is also remarkable - also seems like they have at least a hundred.
United Brands split up A&W back in the 1970s, including the drink division (part of Keurig Dr Pepper today), the American operations (formerly owned by Yum! but split in 2011; some co-brands still exists), and the Canadian operations (also owned separately). The Canadian A&W stores have a different logo and different menu items.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Y’all make me want to see more Canada. :D
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

SamSpade wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:30 pm Y’all make me want to see more Canada. :D
True confession time (and totally off topic) but in spite of the fact I currently live maybe 200 miles (and never having lived more than 400 miles) from the Canadian border, I have NEVER set foot in Canada and honestly I would love to.