Free Masks

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Free Masks

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: February 6th, 2022, 1:42 am
Hope they do that here too. A bag of 20 of those brand name is worth at least $30+. It'll save me on buying my next box at Home Depot.
I went to another Smiths; no masks to be found and no evidence of masks. Did not ask pharmacy about it due to line.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Free masks at Rite Aid again- but the ones they had sitting out loose last week are gone, now they are single masks wrapped in single use plastic. A couple of employees were wearing the masks that were being given out last week.

These new single wrapped masks are a bit strange, they feel soft almost like a foam material, not a scratchy paper-like material like many other masks.

Nevada just lifted its indoor mask mandate for all individuals regardless of vaccination or other status effective yesterday morning so it will be interesting to see how long it takes these places to get rid of these masks. Seems like it will be a good idea to keep masks on hand...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The masks are definitely sought after if they are wrapped. People ask at my pharmacy for them if they are wrapped. No one wants the unwrapped ones.

In just the past few weeks, it seems like most of the people working in my pharmacy have caught COVID. Some employees were out sick for over a week. They said they definitely do not want to suffer through that again. One person was out sick for only a few days with no symptoms except for coughing up blood. The store lets people go back to work after 5 days without a second COVID test. If the mask requirement in California is lifted, I would not want to be around that person so soon after testing positive.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 2:03 pm The masks are definitely sought after if they are wrapped. People ask at my pharmacy for them if they are wrapped. No one wants the unwrapped ones.

In just the past few weeks, it seems like most of the people working in my pharmacy have caught COVID. Some employees were out sick for over a week. They said they definitely do not want to suffer through that again. One person was out sick for only a few days with no symptoms except for coughing up blood. The store lets people go back to work after 5 days without a second COVID test. If the mask requirement in California is lifted, I would not want to be around that person so soon after testing positive.
I think the mask mandate in CA is ending on 2/15 for vaccinated; still will require mask for unvaccinated indoors.

I have been curious about all this- 5 days timing thing. I know someone who has been pretty sick, but is saying they will return to work 5 days after their positive test (even as they have symptoms) "since that is what CDC says to do." It should be about if you have symptoms still. If you still have symptoms, I don't care what CDC says, I don't care if it has been 2 days, 5 days, 10 days, whatever- please stay away from other people. Have heard of other people who have cough/flu but test negative so their employer tells them well you don't have COVID so you can come to work.

I find it very curious after the US Government went to all of the effort to distribute masks that so many states have turned around and said masks are no longer necessary literally a few days after the mask distribution effort was really swinging. Also all these stores that went to the effort to distribute the masks... I don't want to say the mask distribution effort was for not but it is pretty confusing the chain of events... I don't care what is happening in about 7 months or the implications of it; I care about what is happening now.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

After the California mask mandate ended the other day, demand for N95 masks had drastically dropped. 3M announced that they are cutting production of N95 masks. I see more maskless people now as well as more people just wearing masks as chin straps.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Rite Aid still has the free N95 individually wrapped masks. For some reason nobody seems to want them??

I am seeing pretty high prices still though for masks that are actually for sale to buy in stores. I have to assume this is not our last rodeo with masks and I plan to stockpile masks in preparation for the next perhaps planned perhaps random pandemic, as we have already been promised another is coming by certain high profile individuals.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 26th, 2022, 12:56 am Rite Aid still has the free N95 individually wrapped masks. For some reason nobody seems to want them??

I am seeing pretty high prices still though for masks that are actually for sale to buy in stores. I have to assume this is not our last rodeo with masks and I plan to stockpile masks in preparation for the next perhaps planned perhaps random pandemic, as we have already been promised another is coming by certain high profile individuals.
Huh?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 26th, 2022, 8:48 am
storewanderer wrote: February 26th, 2022, 12:56 am Rite Aid still has the free N95 individually wrapped masks. For some reason nobody seems to want them??

Huh?
Yes, huh. I don't know what to think anymore either. Best to just prepare. It is possible the high profile individual who was into software and is now into talking pandemics who recently promised us another is coming is wrong, but better safe than sorry.

It is up to us as individuals to prepare for what we think is going to be necessary for the next upcoming pandemic(s). The past 2 years have proven that it all falls on the individual to prepare. We have had a test run followed by a run through the past 2 years. Masks, cleaning items, paper products, gloves, now we know. Also now knowing the supply chain limitations, gives us more insight over what to do and how to stockpile.

Or we just sit back and hope we are taken care of. Like the free masks that showed up 2 years too late and then 2 weeks after they showed up we got told we don't need to wear masks inside public places anymore. I'll probably be using those masks for discretionary things like yard work or going into airplanes. They were supposed to be used by the broad public to help stop virus spread. Not for discretionary activities. Better than nothing I guess.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It is a good idea to stockpile free masks. If biological warfare were to be unleashed, we would not want to be caught unprepared. The government stockpiled these masks in preparation for a biological war. It may be time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 26th, 2022, 1:40 pm It is a good idea to stockpile free masks. If biological warfare were to be unleashed, we would not want to be caught unprepared. The government stockpiled these masks in preparation for a biological war. It may be time.
I think masks, cleaning products, paper products, and a few weeks worth of canned food such as soups, beans, etc. and some junk food with long shelf life in fully air sealed containers (nuts, Pringles, etc.) are a good idea to keep on hand. For dated products of course you have to keep an eye on use by dates and then just donate them if they are going to expire in a couple months and replenish with current available supplies.