Free Masks

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Free Masks

Post by storewanderer »

I may tend to see things less than objectively pertaining to this topic (the distribution of the masks topic... not the topic of mask wearing) for certain reasons but does anyone else see a major problem with how the free mask program is being handled?
https://i.redd.it/49q7v4b6g5f81.jpg

It sounds like the stores just get boxes full of masks, unwrapped (literally masks thrown into cardboard boxes from the factory), then are dumping them into these dump bins in the middle of the store...

But let's say the store said okay we will require the mask to be distributed by store employees. So they put these boxes behind, say, the pharmacy counter or the customer service counter. So then you have the employee who was just touching money or touching paperwork (be it a prescription or a Western Union form) from someone and then touching the box full of loose unwrapped masks... again contaminating them.

I have encountered, and received masks from, various small boxes of masks sitting near, for instance, a store entrance, where there are perhaps 50 masks in a small bag inside a box. At least the box is mostly enclosed and not sitting in the middle of a bunch of traffic. Sure other people are picking masks out of the container too but it is a single stack in there so not so likely they'll touch others.

But this- thousands of masks, sitting there all day in the middle of the aisle for people to cough on, throw unwanted items into (you know someone will), drop on the floor and throw back into the mask bin (again... you know someone will)...

Who in the heck is going to take and use masks distributed like this? Is this some sort of a joke?

I am wondering if how this is being done is a retail store level decision or this is how the program is to take place.
Alpha8472

Re: Free Masks

Post by Alpha8472 »

The government is giving out several different types of N95 masks made by different companies.

The ones I saw at Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area were individually sealed in plastic 3M masks. These are folded flat and expand when you unwrap them. I like the quality and fit. Walmart might have them either at the pharmacy or at the front door. A friend who works at Walmart says thousands were sent to each store.

Kroger should not leave them uncovered like that. Perhaps they could put them in plastic bags and have each cashier hand some out at checkout.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:32 pm The government is giving out several different types of N95 masks made by different companies.

The ones I saw at Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area were individually sealed in plastic 3M masks. These are folded flat and expand when you unwrap them. I like the quality and fit. Walmart might have them either at the pharmacy or at the front door. A friend who works at Walmart says thousands were sent to each store.

Kroger should not leave them uncovered like that. Perhaps they could put them in plastic bags and have each cashier hand some out at checkout.
I would expect the masks to be sealed. Evidently different suppliers are doing things differently... the example cited in the photo is really bad. It is being reported some Meijer units have a similar set up to the Kroger in the photo.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

It was my understanding (from media accounts I've read about this) that there was a limit of 3 per person. Now after seeing that picture from a Kroger store, looks like you could just help yourself to as many as you'd like. Personally I suppose they're better than nothing but I consider all of those masks to be compromised and wouldn't want them either. Wouldn't surprise me if most of them end up in the dumpster unused-what a waste. It shows me the stores just can't (or don't want to) be bothered with this.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:32 pm The ones I saw at Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area were individually sealed in plastic 3M masks. These are folded flat and expand when you unwrap them. I like the quality and fit.
Are those the Aura 9205+? I've bought a few boxes of those at Home Depot but haven't tried them yet. They look very good and they ain't cheap either-$21.00+ for a box of 10 but worth every penny if they're as good as they say they are.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:17 pm I may tend to see things less than objectively pertaining to this topic (the distribution of the masks topic... not the topic of mask wearing) for certain reasons but does anyone else see a major problem with how the free mask program is being handled?
https://i.redd.it/49q7v4b6g5f81.jpg

It sounds like the stores just get boxes full of masks, unwrapped (literally masks thrown into cardboard boxes from the factory), then are dumping them into these dump bins in the middle of the store...

But let's say the store said okay we will require the mask to be distributed by store employees. So they put these boxes behind, say, the pharmacy counter or the customer service counter. So then you have the employee who was just touching money or touching paperwork (be it a prescription or a Western Union form) from someone and then touching the box full of loose unwrapped masks... again contaminating them.

I have encountered, and received masks from, various small boxes of masks sitting near, for instance, a store entrance, where there are perhaps 50 masks in a small bag inside a box. At least the box is mostly enclosed and not sitting in the middle of a bunch of traffic. Sure other people are picking masks out of the container too but it is a single stack in there so not so likely they'll touch others.

But this- thousands of masks, sitting there all day in the middle of the aisle for people to cough on, throw unwanted items into (you know someone will), drop on the floor and throw back into the mask bin (again... you know someone will)...

Who in the heck is going to take and use masks distributed like this? Is this some sort of a joke?

I am wondering if how this is being done is a retail store level decision or this is how the program is to take place.
WOW!!!

That is outrageous!
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:29 am
Alpha8472 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:32 pm The ones I saw at Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area were individually sealed in plastic 3M masks. These are folded flat and expand when you unwrap them. I like the quality and fit.
Are those the Aura 9205+? I've bought a few boxes of those at Home Depot but haven't tried them yet. They look very good and they ain't cheap either-$21.00+ for a box of 10 but worth every penny if they're as good as they say they are.
Yes, the Walmart near me carries the Aura 9205+ masks.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 10:17 am

WOW!!!

That is outrageous!
Health officials in the impacted states, such as Kentucky and Ohio, are saying these free masks displayed out in the open like this are better than no mask at all. It is off topic here to comment further on that so I won't. But I still think this is what was a good idea (retailers distribute masks) with absolutely horrible execution and now these masks that were at one time in such short supply are being contaminated/ruined like this.

I guess living in one of the 9 states that has had a mask requirement going basically the entire time since about June 2020 I am pretty used to this at this point. We had a break of less than 2 months last summer from masks.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

This whole distribution seems like an absolute mess, and with Covid (at least this variant) at its peak, it seems pretty pointless. I have yet to see any availability here in PA though at any retailer.

Also despite early news reports, I was told Costco will not be distributing masks.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are ways to make a mask safe again. You could put it in a paper bag and let it dry out. The virus particles should be harmless after a day or so. The real danger is from virus particles floating in the air that get into the lungs.

Kroger is terrible for leaving them out, but they can still be salvaged.