Target 2022

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target 2022

Post by veteran+ »

HCal wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 3:37 am
storewanderer wrote: April 7th, 2022, 9:37 pm Target closing Gainsville small format store.

https://www.gainesville.com/story/news/ ... 036035001/

I think these small format stores are going to often times fail. It will be interesting to see what the success rate ends up being.
It's funny how big box retailers in the US are having so much trouble with small format stores. In Europe, it's common for the same retailer to have large, medium and small stores, with a product assortment tailored to each size. For example, Tesco has everything from 100k sq. ft. supercenters down to small convenience stores. I suppose it's early in the game and they are still experimenting, but I would have thought that Walmart and Target would have figured this out by now.
Perhaps, but after billions of dollars (Fresh & Easy and more) in losses and massive "contraction", Tesco SHOULD have it right by now.

Just sayin....................... ;)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:37 am

Perhaps, but after billions of dollars (Fresh & Easy and more) in losses and massive "contraction", Tesco SHOULD have it right by now.

I think they had it right in some territories, before and after F&E.

F&E was doomed due to real estate and the structure and attitude of the leadership. They would have failed expanding into other new markets from scratch too. Their other successes were in already established markets for Tesco.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 9:10 pm

F&E was doomed due to real estate and the structure and attitude of the leadership. They would have failed expanding into other new markets from scratch too. Their other successes were in already established markets for Tesco.

Japan, South Korea, USA, Turkey, Thailand, Malaysia, France, Poland.......................to name a few of their failures.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Tesco also briefly operated clothing departments in Hy-Vee (F&F) for about three years before it was replaced with Loblaws' Joe Fresh.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 8:16 am
storewanderer wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 9:10 pm

Japan, South Korea, USA, Turkey, Thailand, Malaysia, France, Poland.......................to name a few of their failures.
They weren't in many of those markets for even a decade though were they (I feel like one or two of those markets was longer term)?

What is funny about the US is people were calling the failure before they even opened the doors for the first time based on real estate strategy, let alone observation of the actual store operation.

But there is a side of me that misses Fresh & Easy. I actually got to like some of their products. Bland prepared foods aside I did have confidence in the quality of their products. I do think Trader Joe's is a close substitute in terms of products and store size.
buckguy
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: June 4th, 2022, 12:33 am
veteran+ wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 8:16 am
storewanderer wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 9:10 pm I think they had it right in some territories, before and after F&E.

They weren't in many of those markets for even a decade though were they (I feel like one or two of those markets was longer term)?

What is funny about the US is people were calling the failure before they even opened the doors for the first time based on real estate strategy, let alone observation of the actual store operation.

But there is a side of me that misses Fresh & Easy. I actually got to like some of their products. Bland prepared foods aside I did have confidence in the quality of their products. I do think Trader Joe's is a close substitute in terms of products and store size.
They were in Thailand for over a couple decades and did well enough to buy out their local partner at one point. They pioneered the hypermarket there and developed various, smaller versions of the model. They outlasted Carrefour and Marko and survived revolution and the Asian currency crisis. They sold to CP (Thai conglomerate behind Chester's Chicken) after a flat performance in a slack economy. They did not do well in China, but a lot of their foreign selling was related to the need to compensate for a ab accounting scandal with their main business.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I wish you all knew Tesco from the inside like I knew them............................................
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 4th, 2022, 8:00 am I wish you all knew Tesco from the inside like I knew them............................................
The results speak for themself. They got theirs. The problem is thousands of others got screwed in the process.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Two San Francisco stores are still closing at 6pm including Metreon.

One of the two is a small format on Folsom. Looking at pictures - this is a store that was put together on a budget so low Food4Less or Walmart wouldn't approve it. Plain warehouse where they didn't even paint the rafters. I think they spent more on the outside than the inside. Horrible condition concrete floor. It must have been a test on "how cheap of a store can we build?" which is probably also what keeps it open. A true low point for the Target brand looking at those pictures. (As is typical of Google there are some drop ceiling "normal" Target pictures mixed in so ignore those) Exterior conditions look somewhere between a garbage dump and a prison.

https://goo.gl/maps/1KKhZ4njDzbw5KrW9

https://goo.gl/maps/fvWTRpfoVQEKfDYi8

https://goo.gl/maps/UT4rHJrop47fLCSa7

https://goo.gl/maps/eJ3BoqDLWGfoVtnu6

https://goo.gl/maps/RwiuGZMuZG522HZL9

https://goo.gl/maps/VUwVLPqiNpnhGG8M6

https://goo.gl/maps/i5SshWQuyAsKwxR36

ALSO - what is interesting is that just a few blocks away there is an independent "Rainbow Grocery" which looks to be a well-entrenched local market that looks like they understand the San Francisco market completely. It also has a no-frills interior, yet it also appears to sell a very diverse range of foods from basic produce to luxury/high end. The decor that they do have is perfect for San Francisco as they highlight the civil rights/diversity and inclusion movements... I'll bet this store does many times the business of the 6pm close Target... and despite being in what is a very difficult neighborhood they are open until 9pm and I didn't see a single glass case in any of the pictures either. Target clearly does not understand San Francisco, they need to pull out of the city proper and retreat to the surrounding cities where they still seem to have volume and traffic.

https://g.page/RainbowGrocery?share
Last edited by ClownLoach on June 5th, 2022, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The concrete floor trend is not a good one. The floor is in really bad shape. It makes it seem like the store is falling apart. Target used to be known for gleaming white tiled floors and an upscale appearance compared to Walmart. Now this Target looks like a cheap broken down warehouse. Target was all about image before, and it is certainly projecting a very negative image with this store. The rundown floor reminds you that you are in one of the worst neighborhoods in San Francisco overrun with homelessness and neglect.