New Smith's Marketplace in Henderson, NV

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: New Smith's Marketplace in Henderson, NV

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

marshd1000 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:15 am While I am at it, the Kroger Marketplace stores remind me of The Real Canadian Superstore. Perhaps Loblaws and Kroger should explore a merger?
Yeah, they are very similar to Real Canadian Superstore. Another grocery chain I wish we had down here in San Diego... Brand it as Real American Superstore. :lol:
storewanderer wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:10 am At least Ralphs still has a dozen or so stores with the "Kitchen Place" department. I guess that is about as far as they go.
Kroger under Dillon could've built real Ralphs Marketplace stores in SoCal, similar to a Fry's Marketplace; back when more land was available in SoCal. That format would've worked well in places like the Inland Empire, where Walmart had a larger Supercenter presence.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 12:38 pm
marshd1000 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:15 am While I am at it, the Kroger Marketplace stores remind me of The Real Canadian Superstore. Perhaps Loblaws and Kroger should explore a merger?
Yeah, they are very similar to Real Canadian Superstore. Another grocery chain I wish we had down here in San Diego... Brand it as Real American Superstore. :lol:
storewanderer wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:10 am At least Ralphs still has a dozen or so stores with the "Kitchen Place" department. I guess that is about as far as they go.
Kroger under Dillon could've built real Ralphs Marketplace stores in SoCal, similar to a Fry's Marketplace; back when more land was available in SoCal. That format would've worked well in places like the Inland Empire, where Walmart had a larger Supercenter presence.
Kroger Marketplace is a little more perishables-focused and a bit more upscale than Real Canadian Superstore and also has a little more non food. They are pretty similar formats though.

Real Canadian Superstore is a concept I really like though.

I think Ralphs pricing scale is a huge liability in the inland empire and large Marketplace stores would not have worked with that pricing. If they could figure out a way to get prices down to a Smiths or Frys scale... the results would be much different. They did some of that with King Soopers Marketplace- got prices lower on some center store in the Marketplace units than the other locations. Not sure if it is still like that.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Fry’s Marketplace is basically a large Fry’s with a clothing section and seasonal items, including patio furniture. It is nothing like Fred Meyer was or even the original Smitty’s superstores of the 70s-80s , which had a little bit of everything-even a set down restaurant.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:28 am Fry’s Marketplace is basically a large Fry’s with a clothing section and seasonal items, including patio furniture. It is nothing like Fred Meyer was or even the original Smitty’s superstores of the 70s-80s , which had a little bit of everything-even a set down restaurant.
Are they still doing garden centers in the Marketplace units?

Also the expanded Kitchen Place, additional items in the baby category as well, and some real light attempt at very basic bat and ball level sporting goods. There is basically the single aisle that has some random hardware/auto type stuff but that aisle isn't much different than that aisle would be in any Fry's above about 60k square feet.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Whatever seasonal plants they sell (like tomato plants/flowers) are near the front door..not a full garden department
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: February 10th, 2022, 9:33 pm This store has been coming soon for close to 5 years if not longer. I am happy to see they actually built it. It is on the way out to "Lake Las Vegas." This store should do very well, it is in a good location, and there should be additional development in the future that will benefit the store. There is an Albertsons somewhat nearby that previously did very well, since it was the last store out that way, and it will take a real hit.
The 'coming soon' sign was definitely out there longer than five years. My mom was in an adult care facility out there and I didn't think the store was going ever going to get built. It wasn't a nice area at all.

Cadence had been promoting the new housing development on property they owned to the north and west of the proposed store location and then the market crashed in 2007-2008 and it's taken that long to get the master plan that included this market to come to fruition.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: February 13th, 2022, 7:30 pm

The 'coming soon' sign was definitely out there longer than five years. My mom was in an adult care facility out there and I didn't think the store was going ever going to get built. It wasn't a nice area at all.

Cadence had been promoting the new housing development on property they owned to the north and west of the proposed store location and then the market crashed in 2007-2008 and it's taken that long to get the master plan that included this market to come to fruition.
CVS had a store out there even further east, that is probably 10 years old. I seem to recall some fast food/gas station out there too. The area was kind of odd. What is great about this for Smiths is that it is an actual new store, not a relocation.

This should also draw from whoever is actually out at Lake Las Vegas. There is a small Associated Utah supplied independent out at Lake Las Vegas that has opened and closed multiple times. Less than 10k square feet but a perfectly useful store for basic items when I saw it. Not sure who owns the place but wondering if the developer is subsidizing it because I'm not sure how the store can possibly be profitable.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

If only we had one in Dayton… instead, we’re suffering through another remodel right now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 10:52 pm If only we had one in Dayton… instead, we’re suffering through another remodel right now.
I hope the current batch of post-COVID remodels come out better than the remodels they were doing a few years ago that made nice looking perimeter departments but within the store aisles narrowed the aisles, reduced facings, cut out checkstands.... At least this will finally force them to put new signs on Dayton.