New Smith's Marketplace in Henderson, NV

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

New Smith's Marketplace in Henderson, NV

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Looks like Smith's opened a new Marketplace in Henderson, NV last month. A Kroger Marketplace in all but name.
Beautiful store.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Smith ... 14.9722911
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: New Smith's Marketplace in Henderson, NV

Post by marshd1000 »

It looks very nice. It also seems to be a whole new decor package compared to Kroger Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace and Fred Meyer. I live in Fred Meyer territory and really love shopping there. Since I have been to all the stores I listed, I would say that the "Marketplace" stores come very close to being a full Fred Meyer. But I don't know why Kroger is hesitant to go full-on Fred Meyer with these stores? From what I understand, the Smith's Marketplace stores in Salt Lake, that were formerly Fred Meyer stores, still have full apparel like a Fred Meyer. Having said that, if I lived near one of these stores, I would shop them as they are still fairly one stop. One other thing I have noticed, from snooping on the internet, the fairly new Fred Meyer in Palmer, Alaska is actually signed as a Fred Meyer Marketplace. But it is an upgrade from the former Fred Meyer Marketplace, which usually meant it was a food and drug only operation, without apparel. But the new on in Palmer has apparel but the building is way smaller than most Fred Meyer stores. So I am guessing in that case, they did a "Kroger Marketplace" type set up? While I am at it, the Kroger Marketplace stores remind me of The Real Canadian Superstore. Perhaps Loblaws and Kroger should explore a merger?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 5:19 pm Looks like Smith's opened a new Marketplace in Henderson, NV last month. A Kroger Marketplace in all but name.
Beautiful store.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Smith ... 14.9722911
How many square feet do you think this store is?

Love the ceiling and the floor!

This is my kind of store!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

marshd1000 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:15 am It looks very nice. It also seems to be a whole new decor package compared to Kroger Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace and Fred Meyer. I live in Fred Meyer territory and really love shopping there. Since I have been to all the stores I listed, I would say that the "Marketplace" stores come very close to being a full Fred Meyer. But I don't know why Kroger is hesitant to go full-on Fred Meyer with these stores? From what I understand, the Smith's Marketplace stores in Salt Lake, that were formerly Fred Meyer stores, still have full apparel like a Fred Meyer. Having said that, if I lived near one of these stores, I would shop them as they are still fairly one stop. One other thing I have noticed, from snooping on the internet, the fairly new Fred Meyer in Palmer, Alaska is actually signed as a Fred Meyer Marketplace. But it is an upgrade from the former Fred Meyer Marketplace, which usually meant it was a food and drug only operation, without apparel. But the new on in Palmer has apparel but the building is way smaller than most Fred Meyer stores. So I am guessing in that case, they did a "Kroger Marketplace" type set up? While I am at it, the Kroger Marketplace stores remind me of The Real Canadian Superstore. Perhaps Loblaws and Kroger should explore a merger?
Sure wish I had a Ralphs Marketplace in my area of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood!!

:(
Super S

Post by Super S »

marshd1000 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:15 am It looks very nice. It also seems to be a whole new decor package compared to Kroger Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace and Fred Meyer. I live in Fred Meyer territory and really love shopping there. Since I have been to all the stores I listed, I would say that the "Marketplace" stores come very close to being a full Fred Meyer. But I don't know why Kroger is hesitant to go full-on Fred Meyer with these stores? From what I understand, the Smith's Marketplace stores in Salt Lake, that were formerly Fred Meyer stores, still have full apparel like a Fred Meyer. Having said that, if I lived near one of these stores, I would shop them as they are still fairly one stop. One other thing I have noticed, from snooping on the internet, the fairly new Fred Meyer in Palmer, Alaska is actually signed as a Fred Meyer Marketplace. But it is an upgrade from the former Fred Meyer Marketplace, which usually meant it was a food and drug only operation, without apparel. But the new on in Palmer has apparel but the building is way smaller than most Fred Meyer stores. So I am guessing in that case, they did a "Kroger Marketplace" type set up? While I am at it, the Kroger Marketplace stores remind me of The Real Canadian Superstore. Perhaps Loblaws and Kroger should explore a merger?
From what I have seen of the general merchandise selection at Fred Meyer over the last few years, I honestly don't think Kroger would be able to successfully operate the Fred Meyer format in other markets, especially with the likes of Walmart nationwide, and established regional operators such as Meijer. Fred Meyer has been steadily scaling back on the non-grocery side, and now has the card gimmick to deal with. Fred Meyer is far less of a "one-stop" store today, and I don't think Kroger has a full grasp on how to operate the non-food side of the store.

At some point in the last few years, the Fred Meyer in Vancouver in Hazel Dell, which is also a "Marketplace", remodeled and brought back a limited apparel department, which was removed when everything was consolidated in to one building during the 1990s and the main building was converted to the Marketplace format. It looks a little more downscale than a typical Fred Meyer.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The building design is similar to the Fry’s in Buckeye AZ (Jackrabbit Tr @ Indian School) outside and inside. The Fry’s was supposed to be a Marketplace store but they decided to make it a larger traditional Food & Drug store- with larger meat/deli/bakery departments and wider aisles. It is a nicer store than the Marketplace store in Litchfield Park, which is crowded and understocked.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Nice to see Kroger still at it with new Marketplace stores. The format and interior decor is decent, has everything one needs out of this concept. Although I'm not a fan of the new exterior prototype, again it uses so much of the present retail design language and feels awkward with its single large vestibule design that is a far cry from what came before.
This package (Artisan) has been used at several Marketplace and Fred Meyer stores already.

I do find it interesting that Smith's hides the Fred Meyer format within some of its Marketplace stores in Utah. One such store even opened several years after the conversion from FM.

As for the Palmer, AK store - interestingly there was a previous Fred Meyer Marketplace it moved from that opened in 2004. I can't tell if it was the pre-Kroger, grocery-only concept that was adapted from some sites it bought out. Gig Harbor is a similar case to the new Palmer store but does not carry the Marketplace banner.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This store has been coming soon for close to 5 years if not longer. I am happy to see they actually built it. It is on the way out to "Lake Las Vegas." This store should do very well, it is in a good location, and there should be additional development in the future that will benefit the store. There is an Albertsons somewhat nearby that previously did very well, since it was the last store out that way, and it will take a real hit.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

BatteryMill wrote: February 10th, 2022, 6:55 pm Nice to see Kroger still at it with new Marketplace stores. The format and interior decor is decent, has everything one needs out of this concept. Although I'm not a fan of the new exterior prototype, again it uses so much of the present retail design language and feels awkward with its single large vestibule design that is a far cry from what came before.
This package (Artisan) has been used at several Marketplace and Fred Meyer stores already.

I do find it interesting that Smith's hides the Fred Meyer format within some of its Marketplace stores in Utah. One such store even opened several years after the conversion from FM.

As for the Palmer, AK store - interestingly there was a previous Fred Meyer Marketplace it moved from that opened in 2004. I can't tell if it was the pre-Kroger, grocery-only concept that was adapted from some sites it bought out. Gig Harbor is a similar case to the new Palmer store but does not carry the Marketplace banner.
From what I read about the Palmer, AK Fred Meyer relocation is that it was planned to have an apparel section so people didn’t have to drive to Wasilla. But it was not the size of more recent Fred Meyer stores. So I am guessing it kept the Marketplace branding as it wasn’t truly a full size Fred Meyer. As for the previous Fred Meyer Marketplace, it was mostly and food and drug store with some general merchandise. This was a concept of Fred Meyer, pre-Kroger. But the Palmer store was built by Kroger as the older version of a Fred Meyer Marketplace as there wasn’t room in Palmer for much else at the time. But here’s the background on most of the pre-Kroger Fred Meyer Marketplace stores. In Oregon, most were formerly Fred Meyer stores that were considered full line but built in the era before the current supercenters that we see today. So when they became Marketplace Fred Meyer stores, they lost the apparel sections and gained larger grocery departments. The original Fairbanks Fred Meyer, which didn’t have grocery when it opened gained a grocery and became a Marketplace and lost the apparel and the either expanded or rebuilt and became full line. In Washington most of the Marketplace stores were bought from grocers like Food Pavilion, LowBuck$, and Stock Market Foods.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Smiths seems to really like the Marketplace format. Though there are the 5 that used to be Fred Meyer plus the Lehi Store that are still Fred Meyer/Smiths combination stores (non food side is 100% Fred Meyer program and the stores have a shared P&L between the two divisions) and the other 13? Marketplace Stores Smiths has built are under the standard Kroger program, that is still a good chunk of stores as Marketplace Stores.

I am surprised they have not tried to get a Marketplace Store in the Albuquerque area. Los Alamos was the first of the Kroger-format Marketplaces they opened and is a bit far, and that was somewhat of a unique situation as no other stores are up there and Wal Mart/Target passed on invitations from the city to come in; Smiths had to work hard with all parties involved (city, Kroger, etc.) to get that store in that format there.

At least Ralphs still has a dozen or so stores with the "Kitchen Place" department. I guess that is about as far as they go.