Vons Westminster, CA 16450 Beach Blvd

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Vons Westminster, CA 16450 Beach Blvd

Post by CalItalian »

steps wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:50 am
Bluelightspecial wrote: February 12th, 2022, 12:17 am Not really surprising. I believe it's been on the "watch list" for years. The location was never great and the initial Pavilions leases were notorious for being to high. Westminster opened as a new Pavilions.....most of those have closed or changed to "Vons" branding. Most of the successful Pavilions that are still open came after the Safeway buyout of Vons. Many are previous Safeway locations.....West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Woodland Hills, South Pasadena......I think there are only a few left that opened as Pavilions that are still Pavilions...Other than the Orange County ones that opened as Pavilions I can think of only Long Beach, Burbank and maybe Thousand Oaks. I'm really surprised the Long Beach location is still a Pavilions, If I had to bet I'd say that was the next to go.
It's the other way around. The Vons buyout of Safeway locations in 1988 brought them prime locations that were converted into Pavilions. I did some reach and there are 7 stores that are original Vons built locations. There are a few I'm not sure about, specifically the ones in Laguna Hills and New Port Beach. The remaining open Pavilions are all former Safeway and Pantry stores.

Culver City
Long Beach
Mission Viejo
Thousand Oaks
Burbank
Rancho Santa Margarita
West Hills

Long Beach is a massive store in a nice area but the Grocery Outlet near by throws me off. The Ralphs near by closed recently so maybe that will help with business.
Marina del Rey was originally a Vons but was completely demolished and rebuilt as a Pavilions.

Pavilions Malibu was a Cooke's, Westward Ho & Mayfair location prior.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2022, 8:18 pm
klkla wrote: February 13th, 2022, 7:33 pm
steps wrote: February 10th, 2022, 11:00 pm Word from employees the rent was raised to $90,000 a month and the store was making $350K a month.
$350,000 a week in sales sounds more likely, not monthly. It was never a great performing store and I'm actually surprised it lasted this long.
Could volume possibly be that low with an 80k square foot store and the sales bump that has come from COVID? If so I am also shocked it made it this long... looking at the photos on Google I don't see many customers... but I see full and fresh looking perimeter departments... lots of open space... there used to be a Round Table Pizza inside this store as a kiosk in open space near one of the doors, it appears to have closed before COVID. That is a big chunk of the open space.
$350,000./week in an 80,000 square foot store?

They must be bleeding RED!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

steps wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:50 am It's the other way around. The Vons buyout of Safeway locations in 1988 brought them prime locations that were converted into Pavilions. I did some reach and there are 7 stores that are original Vons built locations. There are a few I'm not sure about, specifically the ones in Laguna Hills and New Port Beach. The remaining open Pavilions are all former Safeway and Pantry stores.
The Pavilions in Laguna Beach was a Safeway before Vons bought it. May have been a Vons for a while.

There has been musical chairs in Laguna Beach supermarkets.
1999: Albertsons divests its store (dates back to whatever SoCal chain Albertsons bought in 1964) at Coast Hwy and Cleo St to Ralphs, moves into Alpha Beta/Lucky in Aliso Creek Plaza
2015: divests store at Aliso Creek Plaza to Haggen, keeps Pavilions
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Bluelightspecial wrote: February 13th, 2022, 9:27 pm
Bluelightspecial wrote: February 12th, 2022, 12:17 am Not really surprising. I believe it's been on the "watch list" for years. The location was never great and the initial Pavilions leases were notorious for being to high. Westminster opened as a new Pavilions.....most of those have closed or changed to "Vons" branding. Most of the successful Pavilions that are still open came after the Safeway buyout of Vons. Many are previous Safeway locations.....West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Woodland Hills, South Pasadena......I think there are only a few left that opened as Pavilions that are still Pavilions...Other than the Orange County ones that opened as Pavilions I can think of only Long Beach, Burbank and maybe Thousand Oaks. I'm really surprised the Long Beach location is still a Pavilions, If I had to bet I'd say that was the next to go.
It's the other way around. The Vons buyout of Safeway locations in 1988 brought them prime locations that were converted into Pavilions. I did some reach and there are 7 stores that are original Vons built locations. There are a few I'm not sure about, specifically the ones in Laguna Hills and New Port Beach. The remaining open Pavilions are all former Safeway and Pantry stores.

Culver City
Long Beach
Mission Viejo
Thousand Oaks
Burbank
Rancho Santa Margarita
West Hills

Long Beach is a massive store in a nice area but the Grocery Outlet near by throws me off. The Ralphs near by closed recently so maybe that will help with business.
Actually this is not correct. Culver City (in it's current location) opened as a Pavilions. Long Beach, Mission Viejo, Thousand Oaks & Rancho Santa Margarita opened as Pavilions, never Safeways. Burbank replaced a Vons across the street with a Pavilions. West Hills was a Safeway (originally a Thriftymart) The only Pavilions left that used to be a Pantry is in Pasadena. In Long Beach there has been a lot of high end competition near that Pavilions that has opened, including Whole Foods and Gelsons. Because the Long Beach store is in the 80K range, this is why If I had to guess it doesn't have much longer.
South Pasadena opened as a Safeway and became a Pavillions after the merger. There was already a Pantry turned Vons across Monterey Rd from the store. Today, both stores still operate.... across the street from each other.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Jeff wrote: February 14th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Culver City
Long Beach
Mission Viejo
Thousand Oaks
Burbank
Rancho Santa Margarita
West Hills

Actually this is not correct. Culver City (in it's current location) opened as a Pavilions. Long Beach, Mission Viejo, Thousand Oaks & Rancho Santa Margarita opened as Pavilions, never Safeways. Burbank replaced a Vons across the street with a Pavilions. West Hills was a Safeway (originally a Thriftymart) The only Pavilions left that used to be a Pantry is in Pasadena. In Long Beach there has been a lot of high end competition near that Pavilions that has opened, including Whole Foods and Gelsons. Because the Long Beach store is in the 80K range, this is why If I had to guess it doesn't have much longer.
South Pasadena opened as a Safeway and became a Pavillions after the merger. There was already a Pantry turned Vons across Monterey Rd from the store. Today, both stores still operate.... across the street from each other.
Are there any other Albertsons owned stores across the street from each other?

In Murrieta, there are a Vons & Albertsons that operate across the street from each other. Same ad. At least a Vons & Pavilions have a different ad & slightly different product mix.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

CalItalian wrote: February 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm Are there any other Albertsons owned stores across the street from each other?

In Murrieta, there are a Vons & Albertsons that operate across the street from each other. Same ad. At least a Vons & Pavilions have a different ad & slightly different product mix.
Baker City, Oregon. Albertsons across the street from a Safeway.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Jeff wrote: February 14th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Culver City
Long Beach
Mission Viejo
Thousand Oaks
Burbank
Rancho Santa Margarita
West Hills

Partially true. The South Pasadena store did open as a Safeway and became a Pavilions. Albertson's is now in process of getting approvals to tear down the store and build a new Pavilions there. The store across the street was never a Pantry. It opened as a Vons. The Pantry that became and still is a Pavilions is on California St in Pasadena, not South Pasadena. I imagine if they ever do redevelop the existing Pavilions, they would close the Vons across the street.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 15th, 2022, 5:28 pm
CalItalian wrote: February 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm Are there any other Albertsons owned stores across the street from each other?

Baker City, Oregon. Albertsons across the street from a Safeway.
Las Vegas has a highly visible Albertsons very near but not within eyesight of the infamously sketchy (?) oversized non-lifestyle Twain Vons. This is now the only unremodeled Vons in Las Vegas; they finally remodeled Sky Point.

No self checkout in that Twain Vons either. Interestingly it still has US Bank inside, and it also has the gas station out front (I think they took over an AM PM or Chevron pre-existing out there when they opened the store). I wonder how the Twain Vons would do with a discount format- Lucky. I doubt they'll try that again there... but it might actually be successful in that neighborhood.
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by luckysaver »

some examples of Albertsons-operated stores in the SoCal Region that are about 2 miles or less apart from each other:

Glendora CA - Albertsons-Savon on Route 66 east of Grand Ave and a newly remodeled Vons (minus the original pharmacy) on Grand and Foothill. In nearby San Dimas, an Albertsons-Savon in old town is also about 2 miles away from an old 1980's era Vons.

Fountain Valley CA - 2 Albertsons stores on the same street in the same city (Brookhurst Ave), separated by Interstate 5, a span of about 2-3 miles. The big difference - the location south of the 5 Freeway has a Savon Pharmacy (the building was an original Lucky) and the one further north doesn't have a pharmacy (an original Albertsons).

Anaheim Hills CA - 3 Vons stores separated by about 2 miles each. The old Vons (which recently got a remodel) is on Imperial Hwy and Santa Ana Canyon and the other Vons (rebranded from Pavilions) off Weir Canyon and Santa Ana Canyon. Another 2 miles west of the Imperial store is another remodeled Vons on Lincoln and Tustin Ave.

Brea CA - Albertsons-Savon and Vons separated by the 57 Freeway, about a 2-mile span. The Vons store is about as old as I am (about 40 years old). Brea is also home to the massive Albertsons Puente Street distribution center on the far west end of the city. Albertsons recently sold the DC and is currently leasing it.

San Clemente CA - 2 Albertsons-Savon stores on the same street (Avenida Pico) also within 2 miles apart.

Escondido CA - 2 Albertsons on the same street (Valley Pkwy) and just like Fountain Valley, one has a Savon Pharmacy and the other doesn't. There is also a Vons on Valley Pkwy on the far east end of the city. On El Norte Pkwy, 2 Vons stores separated by Interstate 15 by within a mile! (I think one of them permanently closed - might be the one without a pharmacy).

Catalina Island CA (part of Los Angeles County) - before the existing new Vons opened near the tour bus depot on Sumner Ave, the Vons Metropole was the island's only major supermarket but the prices on all merchandise was higher due to the cost of importing them from Long Beach. They also operated the "Vons Express" convenience store near the cruise terminal on Catalina Ave. Both stores had the red & white Davila era decor until they closed and Albertsons opened the new replacement Vons.

Pasadena CA - California Blvd - Pavilions Place near CalTech (ex Pantry) and Vons (across from Huntington Hospital), also within 2 miles.

Tujunga CA (neighborhood of the City of Los Angeles in the far eastern part of the San Fernando Valley) - along Foothill Blvd in the same neighborhood both a Vons and Albertsons-Savon exist. Again, about 2 miles separates those stores.

luckysaver
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Montebello has both an Albertsons and a Vons, and are 1.9 miles apart from each other.

The Albertsons in Ahambra is exactly two miles from the Pavillions South Pasadena and 2.1 miles from the Vons across the street.