Round Table Pizza on CBS' undercover boss

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Round Table Pizza on CBS' undercover boss

Post by SamSpade »

My first thought when they showed the franchise company's conference room was "oh, look at all those other brands they've allowed to decline. . ."

I will say though, they definitely produce a higher level product than some other large pizza chains.

PS - for a western brand, kinda funny the CEO lives in Georgia
Alpha8472

Re: Round Table Pizza on CBS' undercover boss

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some of those Round Table Locations are really nice places. Some are called Round Table Clubhouses. They have arcade games, sports bars, grills, and all sorts of other entertainment. They are really popular on the weekends.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Round Table was "employee owned" for quite a few years. I was surprised when they fell under the current ownership group but the chain had gone in and out of bankruptcy and their poorly run overpriced and staffed at minimum wage (gee I wonder why they performed so poorly) corporate operated units seemed to be a lead weight around their neck. Franchise locations of this chain were always better than the corporate operated units.

In Reno area (which is a corporate operated market) they've closed most of their locations but still have enough left that they have penetration greater than most other pizza chains (except Little Caesars who has opened quite a few new locations). I think some of the locations around here may be franchise now and some have flipped back and forth between franchise and corporate and franchise again over the years. There is one in Fernley that opened and closed multiple times under multiple franchisees and I think it is currently corporate. They have staffing issues and the location near me was closed for weeks over the summer; had broken windows on the unit for weeks covered by cardboard, has a sign up that says no public restroom, no buffet, and looks filthy inside if you look in the windows. I would not eat from this place with how it looks.

They had a longstanding corporate location in Sparks on Baring Blvd. and they did a major remodel on it about 4 years ago. This was historically a really good performing location due to being in a busy shopping center, high school across the street, and a middle class neighborhood. It looked really good inside after the remodel. At some point, at least a year ago now, it quietly went out of business. The space is still empty.

Around 1990 they had old 70's and 80's era locations all over town, practically one on top of the other.

Locations they've closed over the years- these were all corporate units.
Pyramid and Holman-Sparks- closed in early 90's
Prater and McCarran-Sparks- closed in early 90's
McCarran and Smithridge- Reno- closed in early 90's
Mira Loma and McCarran- Reno- closed around 2012
Northtowne Lane-Reno- opened 1998 by acquiring a Mountain Mike's that had opened in 1995- closed approximately 2012
Pyramid and La Posada-Sparks-opened 1997- closed approximately 2014
5th and Vine- Reno- closed approximately 2021
Baring and Sparks-Sparks-opened 1988- closed approximately 2021
Fallon- closed around 2014
Spring Creek- closed around 2014
Zephyr Cove- franchise unit the whole time- opened as Straw Hat in late 90's, switched to Round Table in early 00's, closed by 2010

That doesn't even count the weird closures, reopenings, closures, reopenings, in a couple cases short runs as independent pizza parlors, of the units in Fernley, Winnemucca, Gardnerville, Quincy, Susanville...
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Actually,the Georgia connection is due to an Atlanta-based entity that bought Round Table out of bankruptcy.Just last year it was acquired by Fat Brands of Beverly Hills, returning to west coast ownership in the process.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: February 27th, 2022, 4:31 pm Round Table was "employee owned" for quite a few years. I was surprised when they fell under the current ownership group but the chain had gone in and out of bankruptcy and their poorly run overpriced and staffed at minimum wage (gee I wonder why they performed so poorly) corporate operated units seemed to be a lead weight around their neck. Franchise locations of this chain were always better than the corporate operated units.

In Reno area (which is a corporate operated market) they've closed most of their locations but still have enough left that they have penetration greater than most other pizza chains (except Little Caesars who has opened quite a few new locations). I think some of the locations around here may be franchise now and some have flipped back and forth between franchise and corporate and franchise again over the years. There is one in Fernley that opened and closed multiple times under multiple franchisees and I think it is currently corporate. They have staffing issues and the location near me was closed for weeks over the summer; had broken windows on the unit for weeks covered by cardboard, has a sign up that says no public restroom, no buffet, and looks filthy inside if you look in the windows. I would not eat from this place with how it looks.

They had a longstanding corporate location in Sparks on Baring Blvd. and they did a major remodel on it about 4 years ago. This was historically a really good performing location due to being in a busy shopping center, high school across the street, and a middle class neighborhood. It looked really good inside after the remodel. At some point, at least a year ago now, it quietly went out of business. The space is still empty.

Around 1990 they had old 70's and 80's era locations all over town, practically one on top of the other.

Locations they've closed over the years- these were all corporate units.
Pyramid and Holman-Sparks- closed in early 90's
Prater and McCarran-Sparks- closed in early 90's
McCarran and Smithridge- Reno- closed in early 90's
Mira Loma and McCarran- Reno- closed around 2012
Northtowne Lane-Reno- opened 1998 by acquiring a Mountain Mike's that had opened in 1995- closed approximately 2012
Pyramid and La Posada-Sparks-opened 1997- closed approximately 2014
5th and Vine- Reno- closed approximately 2021
Baring and Sparks-Sparks-opened 1988- closed approximately 2021
Fallon- closed around 2014
Spring Creek- closed around 2014
Zephyr Cove- franchise unit the whole time- opened as Straw Hat in late 90's, switched to Round Table in early 00's, closed by 2010

That doesn't even count the weird closures, reopenings, closures, reopenings, in a couple cases short runs as independent pizza parlors, of the units in Fernley, Winnemucca, Gardnerville, Quincy, Susanville...
Dayton is another one that closed - it was at the end of the Smith's plaza, where Chopstix is now. Closed around 2013/14ish.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: March 11th, 2022, 4:25 pm
Dayton is another one that closed - it was at the end of the Smith's plaza, where Chopstix is now. Closed around 2013/14ish.
Forgot about Dayton. It is funny how many units Round Table had that came and went. I suspect they had a unit on Highway 50 East somewhere in Carson City too- maybe in the old Lucky/Longs center that is now the freeway.

I always found it weird they left Dayton, yet kept Yerington and Fernley. Yerington used to be a franchise unit but corporate took it over at some point, long before 2014. When Yerington was a franchise unit it was excellent. Fernley as I said above opened as a franchise, failed for multiple franchisees, but corporate is or was running it more recently.

In hindsight they could have implemented video poker/slot gaming machines in the NV locations in the 80's and probably done pretty well at least through the 90's. I know it isn't family friendly but they had alcohol too.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: March 11th, 2022, 7:56 pm
bryceleinan wrote: March 11th, 2022, 4:25 pm
Forgot about Dayton. It is funny how many units Round Table had that came and went. I suspect they had a unit on Highway 50 East somewhere in Carson City too- maybe in the old Lucky/Longs center that is now the freeway.

I always found it weird they left Dayton, yet kept Yerington and Fernley. Yerington used to be a franchise unit but corporate took it over at some point, long before 2014. When Yerington was a franchise unit it was excellent. Fernley as I said above opened as a franchise, failed for multiple franchisees, but corporate is or was running it more recently.

In hindsight they could have implemented video poker/slot gaming machines in the NV locations in the 80's and probably done pretty well at least through the 90's. I know it isn't family friendly but they had alcohol too.
You were close on the location... it was next to Scolari's, where Flat Earth Pizza is now. It was a Straw Hat for a short time as well. The Lucky/Longs center had a Port of Subs and Little Caesars. It was the only Little Caesars in town for a long time, until they built the one at Super K (such as it was) and tore down the complex for the freeway.