Cocos and carrows

Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Cocos and carrows

Post by Retailuser »

It looks like Tucson has closed leaving just one (1) location that is company owned in Arizona and bringing the number back down to ten (10).
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Maybe the reason for the closing
https://healthinspect.pima.gov/Portal/I ... 1cd7fa24b0
Not good.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Does anyone know why the decline of the chain?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Retailuser wrote: November 25th, 2023, 12:35 pm Does anyone know why the decline of the chain?
Because it's boring?
Ultimately that is the answer.

The American palate has changed as today's consumers demand interesting foods from all around the world. As a result we see the demise of the traditional "American" restaurants that serve mediocre and bland food. The only "American" restaurants that are thriving are the ones that serve it at higher quality levels or at a great value.

It's the same reason why we see the decline of the traditional American supermarkets that can barely keep their doors open in SoCal in many places but operators like Northgate and 99 Ranch are ready to sign paperwork and move in tomorrow.

We want more international and interesting food experiences.

Cocos and Carrows didn't evolve with the times.

The rest of the details of miscellaneous transactions, sales, financing, etc. Don't really matter because none of those would have occurred if the concept stayed fresh and relevant to the customer.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Boring?
I like the food that they serve and they have great seasonal specials.(Love the peach pies)
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

And speaking of closures what do you all think that the next Cocos location too close will be?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Retailuser wrote: November 26th, 2023, 11:54 am Boring?
I like the food that they serve and they have great seasonal specials.(Love the peach pies)
Problem is there is nothing unique that you can't get elsewhere. That is why restaurants fail. There has to be a balance of "old" traditional items that are unique standards for the restaurant, combined with new and trendy items. I don't see either at Coco's. Lots of places have great pies. If they disappeared tomorrow you could find the same food elsewhere. That's the problem.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I'll outline my experience with their corporate parent and I guess you can decide for yourself...
1) Pickup for carry out experience at Shari's: Around $15 for a fresh cooked sizeable cheeseburger and side, easy in and out. No way to leave a gratuity though, so I always try to have a little cash. Person at host counter seemed confused about if I had paid, but a waitress knew. In and out and much better than the $12 (!) combo from Carl's Jr. one mile up the road.
2) After positive experience, asked my partner to go there with me for a Sunday (or maybe Saturday) brunch. Restaurant was very busy, understaffed. The manager apparently had to go cook in the kitchen as 2 cooks called off. Our waitress was not very helpful and brought me a coffee refill with her fingers over the top of the mug (sorry, just ick). Host was doing a good job of seating parties to keep lobby somewhat open and grabbing initial beverages. Food was ok, and mine was a great value at under $10 but the bacon could have used a little help. I didn't notice, but my partner said that our orders sat at the pass waiting for the server for several minutes. Grumbles about how delivery would have been faster and we would have been done eating. Partner was also disappointed that T-Bone steak no longer offered. I feel their menu does offer some more contemporary items now and is a reasonable size at around a double-sided 11x17 piece of cardstock. Many photos to help in deciding.

... I think a lot of Shari's in Oregon remain open as "lottery delis" but not much more. They don't have that in California or Washington to lean on.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Is there a listing of every Cocos and Carrows ever opened?
GMJim
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by GMJim »

I remember going to Carrow's and Coco's with my dad in California as a kid. Only fond memories. When I moved to Salem Oregon in the late 1980s I ate at the Carrow's there. Since that time I've mostly eaten at Shari''s when I wanted an old school coffee shop breakfast and I've been very happy with that choice. I did notice that a Shari's in Vancouver Washington recently closed and has been torn down.