Cocos and carrows

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Cocos and carrows

Post by SamSpade »

Retailuser wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:33 am California gift?
The credit card surcharge.

RE: AZ Cocos
Glad they're still there. When I was a kid I got confused as my aunt also had that nickname. I didn't know we were going to the restaurant.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Yes they are but only 4 locations. And 1 is franchised.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

They’re legacy chains, similar to Marie Callander’s, Big Boy, Polly’s Pies, Mimi’s Cafe, etc. Relics of the Pat, unfortunately.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

If I recall correctly the Carrows/Cocos operation took over quite a few Bob's Big Boy units in CA back in the early 90's.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 13th, 2022, 12:29 pm If I recall correctly the Carrows/Cocos operation took over quite a few Bob's Big Boy units in CA back in the early 90's.
I know of at least one in San Diego on El Cajon Blvd in North Park. It closed and was torn down several years ago. IIRC it is a Starbucks now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 13th, 2022, 10:46 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 13th, 2022, 12:29 pm If I recall correctly the Carrows/Cocos operation took over quite a few Bob's Big Boy units in CA back in the early 90's.
I know of at least one in San Diego on El Cajon Blvd in North Park. It closed and was torn down several years ago. IIRC it is a Starbucks now.
Carrows had two legacy restaurants in Reno. They were pretty busy restaurants in their day. The food at Carrows and menu always seemed a step above Denny's and IHOP (Carrows would actually get a decent crowd at dinner in the 90's).

There was another chain affiliated with Carrows and Cocos called Jojos. Never saw one of those.

When Bob's Big Boy shut down in Reno area, there were 3 locations. Two locations got taken over by IHOP (Sparks and Carson City) and reopened with very minimal renovations. The Reno one stayed open a bit longer but eventually was closed; I recall going there for dinner once in the 90's and the place was deserted and food was just not good. I was not surprised when it closed. It had a nice sign- big round circle that said Bob's that blinked/flashed, and a big "home of the big boy" sign attached to it. http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/sou ... /index.htm
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 14th, 2022, 7:07 pm...There was another chain affiliated with Carrows and Cocos called Jojos. Never saw one of those. ...
jojos was started by Jewel in the 1970's. My guess is they opened stores in California after they acquired SavOn. There was a CoCo's in Mira Mesa San Diego that must have been a former jojo's, as it had the same architecture as jojo's.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Two more closed over the weekend bringing the count to 27 cocos left.
It is vista and san pedro.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Apparently a carrows in Gardena closed dome time this month leaving that chain with 3 locations left.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

OOF.

Well, Shari's still seems to be putting out a nice product up here in Oregon. Maybe SoCal is just different now.

We had breakfast there on Tuesday and things were pretty much back to normal. Hot sauce, sugar, salt and pepper back at tables, video lottery (hmm, maybe this is what props Shari's up over the CA restaurants), 2 servers although ours remarked at every table about how she was 'in on her day off.' The bill was a bit up there at almost $50 for two, including non-alcoholic beverages and no sales taxes.

This location is also now open 7 am to 2 am, almost back to 24 hours a day.