Cocos and carrows

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Cocos and carrows

Post by jamcool »

Retailuser wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:49 am Now it looks like Sunland closed so now it looks like they have (fourteen) 14 locations left and still one (1) Carrows left.
And Flagstaff is still open.
I imagine the Flagstaff location would interest Black Bear Diner.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

We went to Coco's last month. It was my second ever visit to Coco's, and nearly 25 years after my first visit. I saw elsewhere on the internet that they were offering their version of Denny's Value Slam for $5.99, and the Super Slam for $7.99. We signed up for their rewards club and were quickly e-mailed about the promotion. Well, apparently it's only at participating locations and the Laguna Hills isn't one of them -- I wonder which of the other remaining dozen does participate :).

We were about to walk out (without the promotion, the prices are $9.99 and $14.99) when the server/cashier agreed to honor it. The restaurant was dated but very clean (granted, we were the only diners at 6PM on a Friday evening), the server was excellent and the food was good although I think Denny's has better pancakes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 10:33 pm We went to Coco's last month. It was my second ever visit to Coco's, and nearly 25 years after my first visit. I saw elsewhere on the internet that they were offering their version of Denny's Value Slam for $5.99, and the Super Slam for $7.99. We signed up for their rewards club and were quickly e-mailed about the promotion. Well, apparently it's only at participating locations and the Laguna Hills isn't one of them -- I wonder which of the other remaining dozen does participate :).

We were about to walk out (without the promotion, the prices are $9.99 and $14.99) when the server/cashier agreed to honor it. The restaurant was dated but very clean (granted, we were the only diners at 6PM on a Friday evening), the server was excellent and the food was good although I think Denny's has better pancakes.
How did they honor it? Did they have a coupon code in their register to honor it or did they have to do a manual discount?

Running promotions like that means they need traffic and they shouldn't give people trouble who try to redeem it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I don't know, but a restaurant on a Friday at 6pm with no customers is scary to me. Something must be wrong............

I think about how fast that food is selling and how fresh it is with no customers?

I am sure I would have turned around and left.

🤷‍♂️
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Cocos is busier for breakfast and lunch.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

jamcool wrote: June 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm
Retailuser wrote: February 16th, 2023, 9:49 am Now it looks like Sunland closed so now it looks like they have (fourteen) 14 locations left and still one (1) Carrows left.
And Flagstaff is still open.
I imagine the Flagstaff location would interest Black Bear Diner.
The flagstaff location is still open.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 9:03 am I don't know, but a restaurant on a Friday at 6pm with no customers is scary to me. Something must be wrong............

I think about how fast that food is selling and how fresh it is with no customers?

I am sure I would have turned around and left.
One possibility (though it may not apply here) would be what else was occurring at that time.

Example - we went to our local diner for dinner the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend (we go about the same time on Saturdays fairly often) and it was quite a bit less busy that usual - likely that many were going out the next day for the holiday and thus not also going out that night before.

Using the given that it was a Friday - our local high school holds graduation on a Friday night in June (the poster said last month), usually around 7pm - so I could see restaurants in the area not being as busy that night around the time the event occurs. Either people are having family at their homes before/after, or if they are eating they go earlier to allow time to get ready for the event or stop afterwards (probably earlier more likely).
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 11:39 pmHow did they honor it? Did they have a coupon code in their register to honor it or did they have to do a manual discount?

Running promotions like that means they need traffic and they shouldn't give people trouble who try to redeem it.
She just overrode the price on the cash register. The cash register looks ancient, but the receipt is fairly modern.
BillyGr wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 4:23 pmOne possibility (though it may not apply here) would be what else was occurring at that time.

Example - we went to our local diner for dinner the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend (we go about the same time on Saturdays fairly often) and it was quite a bit less busy that usual - likely that many were going out the next day for the holiday and thus not also going out that night before.

Using the given that it was a Friday - our local high school holds graduation on a Friday night in June (the poster said last month), usually around 7pm - so I could see restaurants in the area not being as busy that night around the time the event occurs. Either people are having family at their homes before/after, or if they are eating they go earlier to allow time to get ready for the event or stop afterwards (probably earlier more likely).
That's a good point. I don't recall anything special happening on that day, but I can recall a couple months ago when In-And-Out was dead on a Friday night... until we were ready to leave, and all the local high school kids showed up in their prom attire.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

And it looks like three (3) more closed.
Glendora and Rialto and palm desert
But there are not reflected on the website. Looks ten (10) now.
And these were franchises.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Now it looks like the Glendora location reopened bringing it back up to 11 locations now and that location is now Corporate owned.