Cocos and carrows

Alpha8472

Re: Cocos and carrows

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Coco's in Citrus Heights and Dublin, California have been empty since they closed. I hope the company is not still paying rent on an empty building. The one in Dublin in the Bay Area still has the signs up and someone still takes care of the landscaping.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Alpha8472 wrote:The Coco's in Citrus Heights and Dublin, California have been empty since they closed. I hope the company is not still paying rent on an empty building. The one in Dublin in the Bay Area still has the signs up and someone still takes care of the landscaping.
The Citrus Heights Coco's has been demolished for the past year or two.A new multi-tenant pad(Starbucks, Firehouse subs,and a vacant space)has been built on the former site as part of ongoing Sunrise Village renovations.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Cocos recently closed the Montebello location. It was busy during the day but the evenings were dead. Wonder what could take its place. In neighboring Monterey Park, the second to last Carrows closed its doors. This was originally a VanDeKamps bakery restaurant.

I am thinking that Carrows is winding down with Cerritos. Once its lease is done im sure the chain is done. Cocos looks to be winding down as well. Its truly sad, as Carrows was a great chain just a few years ago.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: December 11th, 2022, 12:08 pm I find it funny the last open Carrows isn't even an original Carrows but a converted Bob's Big Boy. Sad decline for the chain. Carrows had a nicer/larger restaurant design than the typical IHOP, Denny's, or Bob's back in the late 70's or early 80's when a lot of these were built.
The former Carrows in Beaverton, Oregon is quite large. It's presently a Vietnamese / pho shop that clearly intended to do something with the rear lounge space but COVID-19 appeared to shorten that plan.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

One former Carrow's in Reno is open as Jack's Coffee Shop (Wells Avenue) and had minimal remodeling. Jack's has a second location in Sparks (Victorian Ave.) a former Sambo's which was a Pizza Hut between Sambo's and Jack's (no sign of Pizza Hut in there, looks like it went straight from Sambo's to Jack's).

What was odd in Reno is there was a building which was obviously a Coco's building, but it never operated as a Coco's, it operated as a Cattin's and was eventually demolished. Carrow's had a large location nearby. Cattin's was a chain of some kind and the final location was in Puyallup, WA. That Puyallup, WA Cattin's looks like a Jerry's, I think these two chains Jerry and Cattin are offsprings of Sambo's.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Jeff wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:12 am Cocos recently closed the Montebello location. It was busy during the day but the evenings were dead. Wonder what could take its place. In neighboring Monterey Park, the second to last Carrows closed its doors. This was originally a VanDeKamps bakery restaurant.

I am thinking that Carrows is winding down with Cerritos. Once its lease is done im sure the chain is done. Cocos looks to be winding down as well. Its truly sad, as Carrows was a great chain just a few years ago.
Yes and the website just confirmed it as there are only 21 locations left.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Well an update.
They have closed more locations of Cocos Costa Mesa and Phoenix have closed (I got e-mails and texts on these) but they are still listed on the website.
The e-mails gave an address to a nearby location to visit.
So we are down to 18 or 19 locations??? now. Still 1 Carrows left too.
Wow.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That Cocos in Costa Mesa is a building that was identical to the long-demolished "Cattins" building in Reno.

Recent reviews on the location are pretty good. Surprising. Interesting it closed given the positive reviews lately.

I think this segment of restaurant in general is, for lack of better words, pretty screwed.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

storewanderer wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:51 pm
I think this segment of restaurant in general is, for lack of better words, pretty screwed.
Yes.
I think that they all are in closing mode now.
I have been to both of those locations (most recently the phoenix location) and had no problems.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:51 pm That Cocos in Costa Mesa is a building that was identical to the long-demolished "Cattins" building in Reno.

Recent reviews on the location are pretty good. Surprising. Interesting it closed given the positive reviews lately.

I agree. There’s nothing wrong with Coco’s/Carrow’s, but this segment of the restaurant industry is in decay. I haven’t been in these establishments in years and have no plans to do so in the future. A piece of history, yes, but somethings are left in the past. For the pricing, you can get a better meal in a higher quality restaurant elsewhere.