No Monopoly game promotion this year at Albertsons

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

No Monopoly game promotion this year at Albertsons

Post by CalItalian »

Apparently the digital game didn't go over well last year. Probably why I was given hundreds of game pieces by each cashier I encountered in the final days of the 2021 game.
https://couponsinthenews.com/2022/03/02 ... this-year/
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: No Monopoly game promotion this year at Albertsons

Post by veteran+ »

I am elated!!!
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Didn't the Monopoly game actually bump up some prices at the store? I guess with them trying to jack up prices again, raising prices again may not have be such a workable strategy.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The monopoly game required a ton of workers at the corporate office to handle all of the work of the promotion. I suspect that these workers are the first to go before the impending break up of Albertsons Companies. The entire company showed signs of splitting up going back about a year ago.

They started remodeling the San Francisco Bay Area stores like crazy into new decor packages. They made all of the stores look really nice as if they are shopping out the entire Safeway Northern California division. These past few months, construction crews have been remodeling stores like crazy. They are rushing to make everything look good inside and out. They raised prices to outrageous levels to make the stores look like they are doing good sales numbers in terms of dollars.

I suspect that Northern California will be the first to be sold off.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

CalItalian wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 11:25 am Apparently the digital game didn't go over well last year. Probably why I was given hundreds of game pieces by each cashier I encountered in the final days of the 2021 game.
I know you're a big couponer, but I have no complaints at cutting down on clutter and promotions at the store(s). This will surely be a blessing on store level employees too.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

SamSpade wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 4:18 pm
CalItalian wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 11:25 am Apparently the digital game didn't go over well last year. Probably why I was given hundreds of game pieces by each cashier I encountered in the final days of the 2021 game.
I know you're a big couponer, but I have no complaints at cutting down on clutter and promotions at the store(s). This will surely be a blessing on store level employees too.
It didn't impact store employees at all in 2021 other than asking if you wanted game pieces. All redemptions were done digitally for game piece coupons and all instant win game pieces. They had to be scanned in to your Just For U account on the 2021 Monopoly Shop, Play, Win App.

The only issue I encountered was obtaining a gift card instant win. Shift supervisor had to call c.s. who told us that I had to have the specific store location I was trying to receive the gift card in selected as my store in my Just For U account. I did not. Customer service switched it and after the shift supervisor scanned the gift card with my Just For U account, it worked fine.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 3:04 pm The monopoly game required a ton of workers at the corporate office to handle all of the work of the promotion. I suspect that these workers are the first to go before the impending break up of Albertsons Companies. The entire company showed signs of splitting up going back about a year ago.

They started remodeling the San Francisco Bay Area stores like crazy into new decor packages. They made all of the stores look really nice as if they are shopping out the entire Safeway Northern California division. These past few months, construction crews have been remodeling stores like crazy. They are rushing to make everything look good inside and out. They raised prices to outrageous levels to make the stores look like they are doing good sales numbers in terms of dollars.

I doubt Safeway will exit NorCal, they are #1 there and will continue to be for years. Albertsons aggressively remodeled stores in SoCal in the early to mid-2000s, and they are still here today.
I doubt Albertsons will break up again. I hope not :cry:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 3:04 pm The monopoly game required a ton of workers at the corporate office to handle all of the work of the promotion. I suspect that these workers are the first to go before the impending break up of Albertsons Companies. The entire company showed signs of splitting up going back about a year ago.

The last thing they would spend money on is an asset that is going to be disposed of. Look where they are not spending money... Northern California was way overdue for capital. CapEx which funds remodel construction is a multi year write off so if you spend on an asset that is discarded later the earnings hit stays on the books.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am glad to see they have canceled the Monopoly game. Despite the fact that I have received so many free items this promotion was a serious hassle, caused empty shelves, and was just a cumbersome mess of a promotion for all involved.

They'd almost be better off doing a straight instant win game that is 100% digital and everyone is automatically opted in- here is your receipt- you earned 5 drawings in our instant win game and also 5 entries to win a free car in the grand prize drawing in May; oh look you have won a free French Bread we have automatically loaded it to your club card for you and it is good through June. A 100% digital game would mean no counting pieces for the cashier and no entering codes for the customer. Seems like a win-win, for folks who wanted to play and followed their receipt. Better yet it could even be an opt in thing via the pinpad- do you want to play Monopoly yes/no? If yes then it would apply your items purchased to the above instant win game automatically, and if no then it just wouldn't apply.

A straight instant win game would need to have fewer prizes since there would be higher redemption rates/less breakage (majority of customers did NOT take Monopoly pieces, then you had some who did take the pieces not enter the pieces into the website, then you had some who entered into website and won not redeem the prizes).
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

They cancelled Monopoly, but they replaced it with point multipliers - right now, you earn double points some days, and select items early 4x points.