Ralphs 69 goldenwest and warner

California. No non-grocery posts.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Ralphs 69 goldenwest and warner

Post by Retailuser »

I worked there briefly whilst in college 2002 to 2005 and left to work a real job.
Does anyone know happen to that store as it seems like the address is now a sprouts. I no longer live in Huntington beach as I moved to the phoenix area (chandler) does anyone know the history of that store ?
Sorry if this not the right place to ask this.
Thanks
storewanderer

Re: Ralphs 69 goldenwest and warner

Post by storewanderer »

Retailuser wrote: March 6th, 2022, 6:01 pm I worked there briefly whilst in college 2002 to 2005 and left to work a real job.
Does anyone know happen to that store as it seems like the address is now a sprouts. I no longer live in Huntington beach as I moved to the phoenix area (chandler) does anyone know the history of that store ?
Thanks
There have been a couple Ralphs closures in Huntington Beach:

6942 Warner - appears to have closed around 2011 (maybe it was too close to 5241 Warner)

10081 Adams (which was a Ralphs Marketplace) that closed in 2016. That was probably one of the last new build Ralphs Stores (or at least one of the last 5 new build Ralphs Stores)... Whole Foods took that building over. I don't think that store failed as Ralphs.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

There was also a store in the Huntington harbour area that closed too. The adams store was to
Roumored to close when I worked for them. I thought whole foods took over a location at Bella terra am I wrong?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: 10081 Adams (which was a Ralphs Marketplace) that closed in 2016. That was probably one of the last new build Ralphs Stores (or at least one of the last 5 new build Ralphs Stores)... Whole Foods took that building over. I don't think that store failed as Ralphs.
It looks like that store opened in 2006 and closed in 2020. Definitely one of the last new build Ralphs — I believe that the Downtown LA, Lake Forest and Irvine locations that opened in 2007 were the last. But what do you mean you don’t think that store failed as a Ralphs? Kroger almost undoubtedly had at least a 20 year lease on the building…
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:40 pm
storewanderer wrote: 10081 Adams (which was a Ralphs Marketplace) that closed in 2016. That was probably one of the last new build Ralphs Stores (or at least one of the last 5 new build Ralphs Stores)... Whole Foods took that building over. I don't think that store failed as Ralphs.
It looks like that store opened in 2006 and closed in 2020. Definitely one of the last new build Ralphs — I believe that the Downtown LA, Lake Forest and Irvine locations that opened in 2007 were the last. But what do you mean you don’t think that store failed as a Ralphs? Kroger almost undoubtedly had at least a 20 year lease on the building…
I don't think it failed as Ralphs... it is odd it only lasted 10 years though. If it was really a flop you would have thought it would have closed before 10 years. Ralphs loved to close few years old stores (see: Elk Grove, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, Clovis, Bakersfield, Fresno, Clovis)... funny how they all ended up as other grocers.

Midway in San Diego was a Kroger build Ralphs sometime in the 2010 range. Kroger floorplan in there; quite unlike the typical Ralphs.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:57 pm
I don't think it failed as Ralphs... it is odd it only lasted 10 years though. If it was really a flop you would have thought it would have closed before 10 years. Ralphs loved to close few years old stores (see: Elk Grove, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, Clovis, Bakersfield, Fresno, Clovis)... funny how they all ended up as other grocers.

Midway in San Diego was a Kroger build Ralphs sometime in the 2010 range. Kroger floorplan in there; quite unlike the typical Ralphs.
That intersection of Brookhurst and Adams is a traffic nightmare. The traffic count sounds just amazing - so landlords all want top dollar there and are ruthlessly cutthroat. I worked for a company who was contacted by the landlord of a tenant who is still open at this intersection and they were willing to boot them in exchange for us going in at what would have undoubtedly been the highest rent we paid in all of Orange County for an ancient, dilapidated building... I said thanks but no thanks... The landlord sent back an email that I am some kind of complete moron for turning down "the best retail intersection in all of Orange County" and said that I have "lost my company millions of dollars in profits" for refusing to get into a bidding war with an established existing tenant that would almost assuredly end in courtroom battles for years because the landlord was negotiating with his own tenant in bad faith.

Ralphs probably got suckered in and spent an ungodly amount of money on their rent only for the store to hemorrhage cash from day one. It definitely closed due to underperformance right at the ten year mark. The store was always completely dead, almost uncomfortably so. It also had a strange interior - probably the last to go up with the brown, cream walls with the green script and giant Ralphs logos everywhere, but then it had a full warehouse ceiling that was very dark and a dark brown, very dull looking concrete floor. It was a twin to Lake Forest which is unremodeled to this day and possibly the gloomiest feeling Ralphs you'll ever enter. The store decor felt very.... brown. It opened as a 24 hour store and slashed to a early close within two months. The Wells Fargo next door closed only a few years after it opened as a new build super sized branch during the era where they were only opening inside supermarkets. There were rumors of closure just a few years after it opened.

It sat empty for a year or so then Orchard and Ulta split it. Orchard demolished a good portion of the Ralphs for a garden center and actually had left some roof in place to hold up the HVAC units - the ducts were reinsulated and routed back onto the sales floor. Obviously they didn't last long either and Lowes liquidated the chain less than a year after they opened. Whole Foods had to build it back up. PetSmart converted a bank branch there on a tiny corner and opened a store that only had four aisles in it. They must have been convinced they had stolen a super valuable site with those insane car counts and spent a fortune on this tiny store sparing no expense. It never had any customers and closed after less than two years.

The reason why this looks like such a good spot - but isn't - is because Adams is a great bypass of the terrible 405 freeway through Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach. For the HB resident who works far south - they can exit in Costa Mesa on Fairview right before the traffic comes to a dead stop for ten miles every day - and cut through to Huntington Beach. So tens of thousands of cars pass this intersection daily... But they don't stop there! Even the Target seems to be very slow and never really caught on after multiple remodels (and a complete rear down and replacement around 2010 that moved the entrance from Adams to Brookhurst - really was a huge mistake). Raising Cane's has a location on Harbor that was their first California restaurant and they have done multiple interviews where they stated from day of opening it became the #1 store in their company. Drive through line routinely blocks traffic on Harbor. They opened a 2nd store to bleed off the traffic again here at Brookhurst and Adams with a huge two lane drive through. It never has more than three cars in line while Harbor Blvd. Has at least 30 cars in line at all times.

Goes to show that demographics and traffic data are not everything. If a retailer doesn't have local intelligence with boots on the ground and they just looked at numbers Brookhurst and Adams would probably be the best non freeway intersection in, dare I say, Southern California. Its a dead zone.

I want to say that 80,000 cars per day on Adams cross Brookhurst here. Don't remember how many more go down Brookhurst. That is a crazy high number that a real estate person would drool over.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Retailuser wrote: March 6th, 2022, 6:01 pm I worked there briefly whilst in college 2002 to 2005 and left to work a real job.
Thanks

6942 Warner - appears to have closed around 2011 (maybe it was too close to 5241 Warner)

10081 Adams (which was a Ralphs Marketplace) that closed in 2016. That was probably one of the last new build Ralphs Stores (or at least one of the last 5 new build Ralphs Stores)... Whole Foods took that building over. I don't think that store failed as Ralphs.
There were way too many Ralphs in that area of West Huntington Beach/HB Harbor. At one point they had 5 including 3 on Warner in about a 3 mile stretch.

-Warner "Meadowlark" (now flagship Fresh Fare, still open)
-Goldenwest and Garfield (newer store too close to Goldenwest and Warner, now a slow Fresh Fare)
-Beach and Garfield (closed shortly after opening of Goldenwest and Garfield, then Stein Mart, just grand opened as small format Target)
-Goldenwest and Warner (now Sprouts and the old oval Ralphs sign tower is still there with a Sprouts logo)
-Warner in Huntington Harbour (converted Hughes, now Trader Joe's).

They effectively have gone from 5 stores in the area down to 2. Albertsons/Vons in the same time has gone from 3 stores... to 3.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 7th, 2022, 9:44 pm Ralphs probably got suckered in and spent an ungodly amount of money on their rent only for the store to hemorrhage cash from day one. It definitely closed due to underperformance right at the ten year mark. The store was always completely dead, almost uncomfortably so. It also had a strange interior - probably the last to go up with the brown, cream walls with the green script and giant Ralphs logos everywhere, but then it had a full warehouse ceiling that was very dark and a dark brown, very dull looking concrete floor. It was a twin to Lake Forest which is unremodeled to this day and possibly the gloomiest feeling Ralphs you'll ever enter. The store decor felt very.... brown. It opened as a 24 hour store and slashed to a early close within two months. The Wells Fargo next door closed only a few years after it opened as a new build super sized branch during the era where they were only opening inside supermarkets. There were rumors of closure just a few years after it opened.

It sat empty for a year or so then Orchard and Ulta split it. Orchard demolished a good portion of the Ralphs for a garden center and actually had left some roof in place to hold up the HVAC units - the ducts were reinsulated and routed back onto the sales floor. Obviously they didn't last long either and Lowes liquidated the chain less than a year after they opened. Whole Foods had to build it back up. PetSmart converted a bank branch there on a tiny corner and opened a store that only had four aisles in it. They must have been convinced they had stolen a super valuable site with those insane car counts and spent a fortune on this tiny store sparing no expense. It never had any customers and closed after less than two years.
OSH stole some other supermarket sites around that time that were high dollar and pretty good stores. One was a 1999 build Lucky in Pleasant Hill (built with Jewel interior, I forget if it opened as Albertsons or as Lucky).

That Ralphs was basically one built in a Kroger type of feel. Kroger builds of that period were, yes, rather brown due to the cement flooring and the way the interior went with it. The dark ceiling also was a strange choice, not sure what the deal with that was. All you would have had to do was install a white tile floor with some accents around perimeter/frozen around the store, made the ceiling white or cream, and it would have basically looked like any other less than 10 year old Ralphs looked at the time (clean and bright).

Petsmart has a store like you describe in Carmichael, CA as well. It has a few more than 4 aisles though. It is in front of a Wal Mart Neighborhood Market and Home Depot, I am not sure what the building was before, perhaps a video rental store. It seems to have steady traffic.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

ClownLoach wrote: March 7th, 2022, 10:05 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Thanks

There were way too many Ralphs in that area of West Huntington Beach/HB Harbor. At one point they had 5 including 3 on Warner in about a 3 mile stretch.

-Warner "Meadowlark" (now flagship Fresh Fare, still open)
-Goldenwest and Garfield (newer store too close to Goldenwest and Warner, now a slow Fresh Fare)
-Beach and Garfield (closed shortly after opening of Goldenwest and Garfield, then Stein Mart, just grand opened as small format Target)
-Goldenwest and Warner (now Sprouts and the old oval Ralphs sign tower is still there with a Sprouts logo)
-Warner in Huntington Harbour (converted Hughes, now Trader Joe's).

They effectively have gone from 5 stores in the area down to 2. Albertsons/Vons in the same time has gone from 3 stores... to 3.
Do you know when the goldenest and warner store closed?
It had to be after I moved to AZ.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

ClownLoach wrote: March 7th, 2022, 9:44 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2022, 11:57 pm

That intersection of Brookhurst and Adams is a traffic nightmare. The traffic count sounds just amazing - so landlords all want top dollar there and are ruthlessly cutthroat. I worked for a company who was contacted by the landlord of a tenant who is still open at this intersection and they were willing to boot them in exchange for us going in at what would have undoubtedly been the highest rent we paid in all of Orange County for an ancient, dilapidated building... I said thanks but no thanks... The landlord sent back an email that I am some kind of complete moron for turning down "the best retail intersection in all of Orange County" and said that I have "lost my company millions of dollars in profits" for refusing to get into a bidding war with an established existing tenant that would almost assuredly end in courtroom battles for years because the landlord was negotiating with his own tenant in bad faith.

Ralphs probably got suckered in and spent an ungodly amount of money on their rent only for the store to hemorrhage cash from day one. It definitely closed due to underperformance right at the ten year mark. The store was always completely dead, almost uncomfortably so. It also had a strange interior - probably the last to go up with the brown, cream walls with the green script and giant Ralphs logos everywhere, but then it had a full warehouse ceiling that was very dark and a dark brown, very dull looking concrete floor. It was a twin to Lake Forest which is unremodeled to this day and possibly the gloomiest feeling Ralphs you'll ever enter. The store decor felt very.... brown. It opened as a 24 hour store and slashed to a early close within two months. The Wells Fargo next door closed only a few years after it opened as a new build super sized branch during the era where they were only opening inside supermarkets. There were rumors of closure just a few years after it opened.

The reason why this looks like such a good spot - but isn't - is because Adams is a great bypass of the terrible 405 freeway through Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach. For the HB resident who works far south - they can exit in Costa Mesa on Fairview right before the traffic comes to a dead stop for ten miles every day - and cut through to Huntington Beach. So tens of thousands of cars pass this intersection daily... But they don't stop there! Even the Target seems to be very slow and never really caught on after multiple remodels (and a complete rear down and replacement around 2010 that moved the entrance from Adams to Brookhurst - really was a huge mistake). Raising Cane's has a location on Harbor that was their first California restaurant and they have done multiple interviews where they stated from day of opening it became the #1 store in their company. Drive through line routinely blocks traffic on Harbor. They opened a 2nd store to bleed off the traffic again here at Brookhurst and Adams with a huge two lane drive through. It never has more than three cars in line while Harbor Blvd. Has at least 30 cars in line at all times.

Goes to show that demographics and traffic data are not everything. If a retailer doesn't have local intelligence with boots on the ground and they just looked at numbers Brookhurst and Adams would probably be the best non freeway intersection in, dare I say, Southern California. Its a dead zone.

I want to say that 80,000 cars per day on Adams cross Brookhurst here. Don't remember how many more go down Brookhurst. That is a crazy high number that a real estate person would drool over.
Now that I think about it, this was a relocation of a tiny Ralphs that was a converted Alpha-Beta on Brookhurst very close to the beach, possibly at Brookhurst and Indianapolis. That is now a Trader Joe's.