Dollar Tree Operations

luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Dollar Tree Operations

Post by luckysaver »

West Covina CA also has an ex-Walgreens turned Dollar Tree (corner of Glendora and Merced). They actually remodeled the ENTIRE interior to Dollar Tree specs so that the interior looks nothing like a Walgreens. I can't even tell where Walgreens had their photo and pharmacy departments.

Besides Dollar Tree, a number of ex-Walgreens (the full-size corner stores) have been interestingly converted to many other types of stores - from other dollar stores to auto parts stores to WSS Shoe stores to small grocery stores (usually Aldi or Grocery Outlet), and one that was split 3 ways (7-Eleven/Davita Dialysis/employment office - Baldwin Park CA). Many of the smaller drive-up buildings have been converted to real estate offices, check cashing businesses, fast food eateries, 7-Elevens, dental offices, cell phone retailers etc.

luckysaver
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Well Dollar Tree has posted record profits and issued a glowing outlook. I guess the price hike is a success, along with the rodent issue at the Arkansas distribution that supplied Family Dollars in multiple surrounding states.

I suggest next year since they will need to make Wall Street happy again to do a price hike to $1.75 on every item at the Dollar Tree banner. There is no need to stop in the middle at $1.50. Go to $1.75 and watch those profits fly. Just like the old Albertsons in the late 90's and 00's- focus on making a huge profit margin on a lower volume of sales. It is sure to be a winning strategy that will make Wall Street very happy (until it suddenly falls apart).

We will see how it goes long term for them.

Dollar General is still heavily pushing $1 items. Family Dollar also still has many $1 items, I guess they are scared to price increase due to the way Dollar General is holding the $1 on so many items.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 28th, 2022, 12:13 am Dollar General is still heavily pushing $1 items. Family Dollar also still has many $1 items, I guess they are scared to price increase due to the way Dollar General is holding the $1 on so many items.
Though I did notice some items at the one Family Dollar I occasionally get to go to that were now $1.25 - they seemed to be the items that were also available at Dollar Tree locations (one example, the 5.x oz. Wise snacks bags, that are actually often cheaper at even $1.25 than they are in larger bags in supermarkets).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:46 pm
storewanderer wrote: May 28th, 2022, 12:13 am Dollar General is still heavily pushing $1 items. Family Dollar also still has many $1 items, I guess they are scared to price increase due to the way Dollar General is holding the $1 on so many items.
Though I did notice some items at the one Family Dollar I occasionally get to go to that were now $1.25 - they seemed to be the items that were also available at Dollar Tree locations (one example, the 5.x oz. Wise snacks bags, that are actually often cheaper at even $1.25 than they are in larger bags in supermarkets).
I've been into a few Family Dollars and the pricing seems to vary. Every store has a sign in the window that says Dollar Tree Dollar Spot $1 (it still says $1- not the tree logo like Dollar Tree windows now have with no $ on it). One I went into is not by anything else and they had priced everything up above $1; the previous $1 items were either 1.15, 1.25, or 1.35. Another I went into has a Dollar General across the highway and almost all of those items were still $1. I bought a couple items to test it out thinking maybe this was a store behind on price changes but it was not; both items scanned $1. I went to a third location which has a Wal Mart nearby and at that location the items were all either $1 or $1.15. Also found all 3 of the stores to be neat and orderly and pretty well stocked.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:11 pm
BillyGr wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:46 pm
I've been into a few Family Dollars and the pricing seems to vary. Every store has a sign in the window that says Dollar Tree Dollar Spot $1 (it still says $1- not the tree logo like Dollar Tree windows now have with no $ on it). One I went into is not by anything else and they had priced everything up above $1; the previous $1 items were either 1.15, 1.25, or 1.35. Another I went into has a Dollar General across the highway and almost all of those items were still $1. I bought a couple items to test it out thinking maybe this was a store behind on price changes but it was not; both items scanned $1. I went to a third location which has a Wal Mart nearby and at that location the items were all either $1 or $1.15. Also found all 3 of the stores to be neat and orderly and pretty well stocked.
This is just a Family Dollar (no Dollar Tree mixed in) store, no separate section, just items in categories as would be standard.
I simply meant that items on the shelves were now marked $1.25 that used to be $1, and the ones I noticed were ones that you would also find at an actual Dollar Tree, so it made sense that they wouldn't sell them for less in one store than the other.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

luckysaver wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 1:45 am West Covina CA also has an ex-Walgreens turned Dollar Tree (corner of Glendora and Merced). They actually remodeled the ENTIRE interior to Dollar Tree specs so that the interior looks nothing like a Walgreens. I can't even tell where Walgreens had their photo and pharmacy departments.

Besides Dollar Tree, a number of ex-Walgreens (the full-size corner stores) have been interestingly converted to many other types of stores - from other dollar stores to auto parts stores to WSS Shoe stores to small grocery stores (usually Aldi or Grocery Outlet), and one that was split 3 ways (7-Eleven/Davita Dialysis/employment office - Baldwin Park CA). Many of the smaller drive-up buildings have been converted to real estate offices, check cashing businesses, fast food eateries, 7-Elevens, dental offices, cell phone retailers etc.

luckysaver
In Lake Forest, a former Vons was split between a Walgreens and Grocery Outlet. The Walgreens didn't last long (the Vons closed in late 2015 ... I don't recall when Walgreens opened, but it closed in 2019). Dollar Tree assumed the space and completely re-did it, wasting millions that Walgreens spent on its buildout...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: May 31st, 2022, 1:46 pm

In Lake Forest, a former Vons was split between a Walgreens and Grocery Outlet. The Walgreens didn't last long (the Vons closed in late 2015 ... I don't recall when Walgreens opened, but it closed in 2019). Dollar Tree assumed the space and completely re-did it, wasting millions that Walgreens spent on its buildout...
I wonder why the Walgreens closed.

There is actually a lot more of Walgreens left in there. The lighting is definitely left from Walgreens. No way Dollar Tree put can lights in anywhere. The photo department is there but the counter is gone. The entry/exit doors are from Walgreens. It looks like the pharmacy may be hidden behind shelving also around the can lights as there is an angled space there. I suspect the floor is also left from Walgreens as Walgreens did cement flooring at that time, and the shelves appear to be left from Walgreens also (or the same type of shelves).

Dollar Tree needs to stop using the pee-yellow colored walls. Looks really bad. Hides dirt and grime well, perhaps that is the objective.

Also why is there a Ralphs gas station there but no Ralphs?
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I assume the Ralphs is within a mile of the Ralphs gas station. Fry’s has a similar situation in Phoenix- if there is no room for a fuel center in the store parking lot, they build a fuel center on a separate lot nearby.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: June 1st, 2022, 6:43 pmI wonder why the Walgreens closed.

There is actually a lot more of Walgreens left in there. The lighting is definitely left from Walgreens. No way Dollar Tree put can lights in anywhere. The photo department is there but the counter is gone. The entry/exit doors are from Walgreens. It looks like the pharmacy may be hidden behind shelving also around the can lights as there is an angled space there. I suspect the floor is also left from Walgreens as Walgreens did cement flooring at that time, and the shelves appear to be left from Walgreens also (or the same type of shelves).

Dollar Tree needs to stop using the pee-yellow colored walls. Looks really bad. Hides dirt and grime well, perhaps that is the objective.

Also why is there a Ralphs gas station there but no Ralphs?
You have a better eye than me! I guess painting the walls pee-yellow really changed the physical appearance in my eye; it looks nothing like the Walgreens from my vantage point. I'm curious why the Walgreens closed, too; there is another location nearby, but its a standalone pharmacy - but has a drive-through. I've heard that locations without drive-throughs may close (at least in Orange County), might have something to do with poor sales.

There's an ancient Ralphs a mile up Trabuco, and one of their newest (if not the newest) stores a couple miles up El Toro. That store opened in 2007 and still features the 2000s décor package.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 1:08 pm

You have a better eye than me! I guess painting the walls pee-yellow really changed the physical appearance in my eye; it looks nothing like the Walgreens from my vantage point. I'm curious why the Walgreens closed, too; there is another location nearby, but its a standalone pharmacy - but has a drive-through. I've heard that locations without drive-throughs may close (at least in Orange County), might have something to do with poor sales.

There's an ancient Ralphs a mile up Trabuco, and one of their newest (if not the newest) stores a couple miles up El Toro. That store opened in 2007 and still features the 2000s décor package.
If Walgreens closes locations without drive through, that will take out hundreds of the stores they bought from Rite Aid. Good thing they never got a hold of Longs, that would have taken out 85% of the Longs chain.

I think Walgreens front end at this point is struggling so badly that opportunities like this to shift to those old RX Express locations are appealing. It is ironic since they spent years getting ouf of the RX Express locations and moving them to full size stores. Now they have a new store model called the Cooper Store (after the Mini Cooper) that is basically RX Express again with a 7-Eleven sized front end.