Clothing/Softlines and Price on Tag

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Clothing/Softlines and Price on Tag

Post by storewanderer »

So it appears there is a trend specifically at Wal Mart but I assume other retailers as well, where they are no longer including the price on clothing items tags.

Specifically at Wal Mart some "basic" (00-00 items in Wal Mart terms) items are coming in that used to have a price on the tags, but no longer have a price on the tags.

Additionally at Wal Mart what is happening is they are taking some items that are price tagged and ripping the price off the tags in order to faciliate a price increase. So far I have seen this on various denim items (Lee branded and some house branded ones) and also a bunch of beach towels.

For instance I have seen a bunch of Lee jeans that had $15 on the tags and they did a price increase to $19 something. I also saw a bunch of beach towels that just arrived in the store pre-tagged 12.98 and they removed the 12.98 from all of the tags and then put them on a display with a plastic sign that says 14.92. I picked up a few of the last version of those beach towels back in November (ones from last summer) for $3.

I think this may be okay but I am not 100% sure it is going to be legal in all states, and regardless of that if this is the route being taken, these stores are going to need to bring price scanners back to the sales floor again for customers to use.
Alpha8472

Re: Clothing/Softlines and Price on Tag

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart is taking the price off so that customers do not complain and then get the lower price on the attached price tag.

Price increases are unfortunate, but it would be better if every clothing item had a barcode. Price scanners should be pretty cheap these days. The newest style price scanners look like cheap tablet computers. Having price scanners is cheaper than having customers constantly interrupt employees who are busy stocking the shelves to check a price. The Walmart app lets you scan barcodes for the price, but many Walmart customers may not know about that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

If this is the route that is being taken they will need price scanners around.

I do think this will run into pricing laws in some states though. You either need to have a price on the tag or a clear label/sign price. "Starting at 9.98" on a rack of un-label-priced clothing probably won't work.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Last time I was at Target in Carson City, I heard several associates mention that they were re-pricing the store, and to use the Target app for the most current pricing. I think that this will be the norm for Target, Walmart, et al. until things settle down with COVID and the supply chain.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: March 14th, 2022, 7:48 pm Last time I was at Target in Carson City, I heard several associates mention that they were re-pricing the store, and to use the Target app for the most current pricing. I think that this will be the norm for Target, Walmart, et al. until things settle down with COVID and the supply chain.
Target got an order from corporate last month that they had to do a price integrity check on 100% of the store and post new price tags. Stores had been ignoring price changes for months.

The directive to "use the app for most current pricing" is certainly one that can be tried, but in the end they must honor whatever the price is posted on the tag/shelf. I am sorry for the understaffed stores that cannot keep up on price changes but at the end of the day these corporate chains need to figure out how to legally increase prices if they want to increase prices (that means changing the shelf labels). Maybe if they wouldn't increase the same item 3 times in a 4 week period it would work better and the stores would stop being so overwhelmed by price increases.

These POS systems generate a report for price overrides and someone should be reviewing those override reports. I can tell you at Target in Reno and Sparks they weren't reviewing anything as I was getting overcharged for months there on numerous items, the same items (which in many cases had multiple missed price changes). Since the price integrity check took place however they seem to have finally fixed the issues and gotten the new higher prices posted.