Vancouver, WA Chuck's Produce stores sold to Jim Pattison Group

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Vancouver, WA Chuck's Produce stores sold to Jim Pattison Group

Post by Super S »

https://www.columbian.com/news/2022/mar ... n-company/

This is the same company that acquired the Roth's stores in Oregon.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Vancouver, WA Chuck's Produce stores sold to Jim Pattison Group

Post by marshd1000 »

It is interesting that the Pattison group has reached into Oregon and Southwest Washington. If Haggen and Metropolitan Market weren't already spoken for, it seems like they would have been candidates to be acquired by them. But I am wondering if a combo of Town & Country Markets and the former Brown & Cole Stores would make sense for Pattison?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

marshd1000 wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 8:08 am It is interesting that the Pattison group has reached into Oregon and Southwest Washington. If Haggen and Metropolitan Market weren't already spoken for, it seems like they would have been candidates to be acquired by them. But I am wondering if a combo of Town & Country Markets and the former Brown & Cole Stores would make sense for Pattison?
Rosauers Supermarkets would seem to be a better fit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 2:39 pm
marshd1000 wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 8:08 am It is interesting that the Pattison group has reached into Oregon and Southwest Washington. If Haggen and Metropolitan Market weren't already spoken for, it seems like they would have been candidates to be acquired by them. But I am wondering if a combo of Town & Country Markets and the former Brown & Cole Stores would make sense for Pattison?
Rosauers Supermarkets would seem to be a better fit.
Not really because Rosauers is part of URM and URM is a cooperative of multiple independent groups. It isn't as easy to sell that. Rosauers is owned by URM itself, and is the highest volume piece of URM and if you took it away, the buying power of that group would move down a bracket or two. URM has been making significant growth the past few years (thanks to various customer gains from independents who had previous been Associated Seattle-United-Unified-Supervalu-UNFI customers) and URM does a great job putting together ad groups and providing other support to the independents it supplies so they can better compete with larger chains. URM is one of those really good wholesalers that actually tries to make its independents drive volume and get them the needed resources to succeed. URM also runs a convenience store supply division and restaurant supply division. URM reminds me of a smaller version of Associated-Utah. Excellent wholesaler and you see many successful independents in their territories.

Pattison does have some kind of a wholesale operation in Canada so I guess it is possible URM would be a good fit. I don't believe I've been to an independent supplied by them so I am not sure how they are as a supplier. But, Save-On Foods, which is the primary Pattison banner in BC, is nothing to get excited about. Sort of like a Safeway before Lifestyle remodels; not great prices, weaker private labels, better staffing levels and lackluster fresh quality.

I'm not really sure what Pattison is going after but Roth's seemed like a pretty well selected fit format-wise. Chuck's Produce is an interesting choice. Outside the produce department at Chuck's which is rather similar to how Roth's does produce, I don't see the similarities.

The Market group up closer to Canada (old Brown and Cole chain) seems like a pretty good fit for Pattison; they may actually be able to improve operations there as that operation has been pretty bad, though that group joined URM Stores so things there should improve.