Rite Aid and private label food

storewanderer

Rite Aid and private label food

Post by storewanderer »

It appears Rite Aid is replacing its "Big Win" food private label with Essential Everyday. I was in Rite Aid this week and found EE honey, oil, dried fruit, and a few other things. Some of the shelf tags said EE and others said Big Win. The EE items are being included in whatever promotion the Big Win item is involved in (for instance this week had the Big Win Honey 4/$12 which is an excellent deal at this point, then $3 back in rewards; the promotions applied to the EE Honey without issue and luckily they even had 4 in stock).

Rite Aid seems to be having trouble. A lot of trouble. I noticed the Big Win plastic wrap went away a while ago and was replaced with the packer label, Presto. The rest of that category (foil, trash bags) is all Big Win but they do have some Essential Everyday Coffee Filters (they've had those for a while now, those were the only EE item previously).

This is a logical move with how the chain has downsized, the previous Wild Harvest line brought into Rite Aid, and the overall logistics environment. It will be interesting to see if this is strictly on the food category or will apply to all consumables. I would hope Rite Aid will retain its own private label on core drugstore categories (OTC, etc.).

This also could enable Rite Aid to more easily expand its private label food mix. Throw in more canned foods- cheap inventory that stays good for years- to help fill the empty stores.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid and private label food

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 10:58 pm It appears Rite Aid is replacing its "Big Win" food private label with Essential Everyday. I was in Rite Aid this week and found EE honey, oil, dried fruit, and a few other things. Some of the shelf tags said EE and others said Big Win. The EE items are being included in whatever promotion the Big Win item is involved in (for instance this week had the Big Win Honey 4/$12 which is an excellent deal at this point, then $3 back in rewards; the promotions applied to the EE Honey without issue and luckily they even had 4 in stock).

Rite Aid seems to be having trouble. A lot of trouble. I noticed the Big Win plastic wrap went away a while ago and was replaced with the packer label, Presto. The rest of that category (foil, trash bags) is all Big Win but they do have some Essential Everyday Coffee Filters (they've had those for a while now, those were the only EE item previously).

This is a logical move with how the chain has downsized, the previous Wild Harvest line brought into Rite Aid, and the overall logistics environment. It will be interesting to see if this is strictly on the food category or will apply to all consumables. I would hope Rite Aid will retain its own private label on core drugstore categories (OTC, etc.).

This also could enable Rite Aid to more easily expand its private label food mix. Throw in more canned foods- cheap inventory that stays good for years- to help fill the empty stores.
I've also noticed that at least in the pantry aisle,the 'Big Win' house brand has been supplanted by still-Supervalu-owned-and-supplied Essential Everyday for some but not all grocery items.Additionally,some school/office items previously branded as Rite Aid Home(so far only affecting white envelopes)have been replaced by another offbrand supplier,Kaisa(never heard of them before,they have a very basic website).I must note that in the dollar shop aisle,we've received budget toilet paper from an Argentine company with no English labeling whatsoever(we did have imported Mexican paper product for about a year during the early stages of the pandemic induced supply chain disruptions,but at least it had bilingual labeling).
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid and private label food

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 11:28 pm

I've also noticed that at least in the pantry aisle,the 'Big Win' house brand has been supplanted by still-Supervalu-owned-and-supplied Essential Everyday for some but not all grocery items.Additionally,some school/office items previously branded as Rite Aid Home(so far only affecting white envelopes)have been replaced by another offbrand supplier,Kaisa(never heard of them before,they have a very basic website).I must note that in the dollar shop aisle,we've received budget toilet paper from an Argentine company with no English labeling whatsoever(we did have imported Mexican paper product for about a year during the early stages of the pandemic induced supply chain disruptions,but at least it had bilingual labeling).
I am wondering if this EE stuff is a temporary fill in or a change for good. It is odd Big Win would be missing in oil, honey, and dried fruits; all of these categories are from different suppliers (the dried fruits are probably imported). I don't think EE could replicate the rather expansive Rite Aid Big Win/Dreamhouse snack/candy mix either (they could get the canned nut category or in the case of EE the nuts come in a clear plastic container, but beyond that, not really a good match up between Big Win and EE in snack/candy).

I don't think Supervalu has any private label envelopes to send so I guess they had to go outside for those. Supervalu could get private label copy paper and tape in under EE.