Burger King

Alpha8472

Re: Burger King

Post by Alpha8472 »

I would say Burger King is OK for sandwiches, decent for onion rings, and no so great for fries.

They could get more customers if they would just improve the fries and onion rings. Do they not have taste testers at the company?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

People either love or hate BK’s (mixed) onion rings. IMO, they’re not bad but for many of us, they’re known for causing painfully foul smelling gas.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I think most fast food (for good reason) causes that......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't even tell ya what Del Taco used to do to me!

Of course I have discontinued Fast Food for many years ✌️
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 20th, 2022, 8:46 am I think most fast food (for good reason) causes that......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't even tell ya what Del Taco used to do to me!

Of course I have discontinued Fast Food for many years ✌️
Burger King burger being flame broiled (or Carls) is actually quite lean as most fat melts off in the flame broiling, and one of the "healthier" burgers if we are just talking burger. Problem with Burger King is they seem to love to put a mayonnaise portion on burgers that is the size of the meat.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2022, 12:08 am Problem with Burger King is they seem to love to put a mayonnaise portion on burgers that is the size of the meat.
That's always been an issue with them. I remember back in the 70's, they put so much of the stuff on the Whopper it actually brought the flavor of the tomato out more than the meat and sometimes you couldn't even taste the meat.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I received some coupons again from Burger King this week. The back of the coupon page has a new $5 meal with a Double Whopper Jr., Small Fry, Small Drink, and 4 Chicken Nuggets for $5. That sounds very familiar to a Wendy's Biggie Bag with a Double Stack.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I saw videos online about someone who had never tried Burger King before. His reaction was that the Burger tasted like a sauce burger. You could not taste much of the meat at all.

The mayo and sauces are out of control. They have lost the flavor of the meat. Perhaps it is to mask the frozen meat flavor or the microwave taste. When you microwave meat, the flavor is altered versus flame broiling.

The onion rings are so processed. They have a coating on them that is like a manufactured shell. It is too sweet and artificial. Other restaurants fry real fresh onions. Does Burger King get their onion rings prefrozen?
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 4:18 am I saw videos online about someone who had never tried Burger King before. His reaction was that the Burger tasted like a sauce burger. You could not taste much of the meat at all.

The mayo and sauces are out of control. They have lost the flavor of the meat. Perhaps it is to mask the frozen meat flavor or the microwave taste. When you microwave meat, the flavor is altered versus flame broiling.

The onion rings are so processed. They have a coating on them that is like a manufactured shell. It is too sweet and artificial. Other restaurants fry real fresh onions. Does Burger King get their onion rings prefrozen?
To answer your question about the Onion Rings, they are prefrozen, at least that was the case when I worked there over 10 years ago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 4:18 am I saw videos online about someone who had never tried Burger King before. His reaction was that the Burger tasted like a sauce burger. You could not taste much of the meat at all.

Burger King, Carl's Jr., Habit, Jack in the Box all get frozen onion rings and fry them like french fries.

Sonic does make onion rings freshly battered in store. Same for Farmer Boys.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

To be clear, just about everything on sale at a Burger King has been frozen -- at least that was the case 20+ years ago when I worked at one. Whopper patties, chicken patties, fish patties -- all frozen. French fries, onion rings -- all frozen. Egg patties, sausage, bacon -- all frozen. Chicken Tenders -- frozen. Biscuits -- arrived in preformed frozen patties and were baked each morning. The apple pies -- frozen. We would pull a day or two worth, unthaw them, then warm them in the microwave when they were ordered.

Lettuce was pre-bagged and arrived in the store already shredded.

Cheese of course was not frozen.

Bread arrived from a local-ish bakery and wasn't frozen.

Tomatoes were sliced in store. I believe cucumbers for the salads were also.

At least then, technical procedures were that all beef patties had to be microwaved, even if it came directly out of the broiler and skipped the holding steamer. Ironically if you got a patty that was fresh out of the broiler, you could end up with a really soggy bun after it came out of the microwave because the juices from the patty would just annihilate the bun when it was microwaved.

The mayo had enough preservative that it did not require any refrigeration whatsoever. (It went back in the fridge overnight, but could sit out on the burger boards all day long). Same for the sauce for the Big King and the tartar sauce for the fish sandwich.

On occasion, we would run out of onion rings. It wasn't unheard of to take some money from petty cash, drive down to Albertsons, buy a few bags of their frozen onion rings, and toss them in the fryer. We really didn't sell that many onion rings. Maybe something like one order of onion rings for every 25 orders of fries.

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 5:47 pm

To answer your question about the Onion Rings, they are prefrozen, at least that was the case when I worked there over 10 years ago.