Burger King

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Burger King

Post by cjd »

Yesterday I went back to Burger King for the first time in I don't know how long? At least two years, maybe a few months more.

I was surprised to see BK doesn't offer any value type meals anymore. Over the last 8 years or so they've had various combos that I thought were a good deal. They had one that was I think $3.29 where you got two sandwiches (you could mix or match cheeseburgers or chicken) with fries and a drink. I think at another point they had a sandwich (cheeseburger or chicken) fries, drink and cookie IIRC.

They don't seem to offer this anymore. The closest thing to that would be the Whopper Jr meal. I guess with costs increasing they did away with it at some point, but notice that McDonald's still has a value menu, and Wendy's still offers its four for $4. And DQ still offers a $5 lunch on some things, although some of it has increased.

Also the menu options seem to have narrowed somewhat, in fact one of the menu monitors was shut off, condensing everything down to three screens.

Service was very slow, it felt like I was there for a very long time. It was the fries that were taking so long. A lady at the counter told the manager that they had been waiting on fries for ages, like over 30 minutes to which the manager replied "no you weren't" and the customer said "yeah we were!" as she walked off.
Alpha8472

Re: Burger King

Post by Alpha8472 »

Burger King used to have a $4 for 4 something menu years ago. Then that disappeared. They have the 8 chicken nuggets for $1.49. I think they used to be 99 cents for several years.

Burger King said that they were going to cut menu items to increase efficiency just recently. They also were getting rid of paper coupons and encouraging customers to use the app for deals.

On the app under Featured there is a 2 for $5 or 2 for $6 deal for mix and match fish sandwich, Big King, Quarter Pound King, or Original Chicken sandwich. Some restaurants charge $6, while others in the same city charge $5.

There is a mix and match $12 meal. I assume it is for 2 people as there is no single meal option. There are offers on the app for a $7.99 Original Chicken Sandwich meal for 2. That disappears if you use it once.

Late at night sometimes the deals disappear as the menu gets limited. Many items no longer show after a certain time of night.

None of the corporate changes mentioned anything about improving food taste or quality. The fries at Burger King are probably the most bland fries of any fast food chain. I have very little desire to go to Burger King due to their awful fries. The other items on their menu are questionable. I found that their chicken nuggets are cheap, but somehow the taste is not that great. If they are cold and soggy, then they are really bad.

Burger King has come out with the new Whopper Melts. These are supposed to be filled with melted cheese, but ended up being filled with unmelted and melted cheese. The bread was not even toasted on both sides. These are a huge fail, and one wonders why the chain has such terrible quality control standards. The food presentation is so bad, that you will never go back again. The restaurants looked trashed. There are food spills all over the counters and floors. You see flies and bugs in the food preparation area. Someone please call the health department.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Burger King sends out a lot of mixed signals these days. They have been remodeling many older locations in the last few years, but have done very little to improve their product. One major strike is that they are still using the old ways of precooking many items to be reheated in the microwave, and their food is maybe as good as something you could buy in the frozen foods area of the local supermarket. Especially when it comes to breakfast items. On the rare occasion that you actually get something cooked to order the food isn't nearly as bad.

At some point their basic burgers shrunk in size, where the patties are much smaller than the bun. I guess this is how they keep them on the value menu.

Burger King has potential to be good, but they come up short on quality, and I do what I can to avoid them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I recently received some coupons for Burger King with some pretty good deals like 2 Whopper Jr. and 2 Fry for $4 total, 2 Jr Bacon and 2 Fry for $4 or something like that. I have not eaten at a Burger King in many years; perhaps 3 years. The last time I ate at a Burger King was in the Vancouver Airport.

Burger King recently said they want to remove the Whopper from the value menu. Wendy's immediately countered and has had a $1 Single (app order required) for the past four weeks.

Wendy's has cut the 4 for 4 in California to only include the Jr. Cheeseburger (ketchup/mustard/pickle/onion only) and some other Wendy's are now 4 for $4.44. They have a new 4 for 5 in California which is basically the old 4 for 4 but it comes with a small fry and small drink (instead of value fry and value drink).

Burger King allows you to ask for a burger "off the broiler" which means it will be cooked fresh to order. I have not felt very good about the employees when I have gone to Burger King in the past and have felt uncomfortable making a special request of that nature based on the attitude I observed of the employees. So I am not sure how that request works out. I have made that request at Carl's Jr. many times and it definitely makes for a better burger.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Oh, I wasn't impressed with the appearance of the restaurant either. The tables I glanced at (I didn't eat in) looked dirty and one had trash on it. The floors were also pretty dirty. I went to the restroom to wash my hands and it looked like I remembered it (it had a slightly unpleasant smell and the sink looked dirty as usual).

This Burger King I believe is around 10 years old and I don't recall it ever having a remodel done.

I've generally found Burger King employees to be pretty good however. There was one lady who I remember was a little barky but she was quick and I began to notice she did a good job and really knew her stuff. There were some other really good ones I remember. I recognized a few of the employees from two years ago.

For bad employees, I used to have the most issue at some McDonald's. They really had a bad attitude in one location, one I remember when I approached the counter gave me a hateful look and said "WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" I should've said "Nothing!" and left.
Last edited by cjd on March 27th, 2022, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 26th, 2022, 8:48 pm Burger King used to have a $4 for 4 something menu years ago. Then that disappeared. They have the 8 chicken nuggets for $1.49. I think they used to be 99 cents for several years.

Burger King said that they were going to cut menu items to increase efficiency just recently. They also were getting rid of paper coupons and encouraging customers to use the app for deals.

On the app under Featured there is a 2 for $5 or 2 for $6 deal for mix and match fish sandwich, Big King, Quarter Pound King, or Original Chicken sandwich. Some restaurants charge $6, while others in the same city charge $5.

There is a mix and match $12 meal. I assume it is for 2 people as there is no single meal option. There are offers on the app for a $7.99 Original Chicken Sandwich meal for 2. That disappears if you use it once.

Late at night sometimes the deals disappear as the menu gets limited. Many items no longer show after a certain time of night.

None of the corporate changes mentioned anything about improving food taste or quality. The fries at Burger King are probably the most bland fries of any fast food chain. I have very little desire to go to Burger King due to their awful fries. The other items on their menu are questionable. I found that their chicken nuggets are cheap, but somehow the taste is not that great. If they are cold and soggy, then they are really bad.

Burger King has come out with the new Whopper Melts. These are supposed to be filled with melted cheese, but ended up being filled with unmelted and melted cheese. The bread was not even toasted on both sides. These are a huge fail, and one wonders why the chain has such terrible quality control standards. The food presentation is so bad, that you will never go back again. The restaurants looked trashed. There are food spills all over the counters and floors. You see flies and bugs in the food preparation area. Someone please call the health department.
What I will usually do when I have a taste for Burger King is buy my burgers there and drive over to McDonald's, Wendy's, Five Guys or WingStop for my fries.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I actually think the Burger King fries are pretty good. McDonald's are pretty good if a little dry, and Wendy's to me have improved a little with their crispier campaign. DQ has good fries too although FIve Guys are just too greasy to me.

I like Checker's fries a lot too it's too bad the one here closed and I'd have to drive way out of the way to go there, so I rarely ever get them.

I liked the BK Satisfries (crinkle cut) I wish they still had them.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

cjd wrote: March 27th, 2022, 7:59 am I actually think the Burger King fries are pretty good. McDonald's are pretty good if a little dry, and Wendy's to me have improved a little with their crispier campaign. DQ has good fries too although FIve Guys are just too greasy to me.

I like Checker's fries a lot too it's too bad the one here closed and I'd have to drive way out of the way to go there, so I rarely ever get them.

I liked the BK Satisfries (crinkle cut) I wish they still had them.
Wendy's new fries are kind of reminiscent of Burger King's fries circia the late 90s / early 2000s, which weren't bad.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: March 27th, 2022, 9:11 amWendy's new fries are kind of reminiscent of Burger King's fries circia the late 90s / early 2000s, which weren't bad.
I can remember "french fry wars" of that era where it seemed everyone was competing for the best fries, particularly McDonald's and Burger King.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Decided to give Burger King a try today.

I had a coupon for 2 Bacon Cheeseburgers, Small Fry, Small Drink for $4.

Coupon was accepted without issue. While waiting I did not see the Bacon Cheeseburgers on the menu so not sure what the price would be without the coupon but the Small Fry was 2.55 on the menu and Small Drink 2.30 on the menu. Neither one of those items is worth those prices, wouldn't pay full price for them, large crow in parking lot enjoyed many fries. The Whopper was 6.19. Value menu is not on the menu (didn't ask about if it is there but not advertised).

Burgers were pretty good, just a small ketchup/pickle/mustard topped burger with a couple torn pieces of bacon, probably worth something around $1.89 each at current pricing. Fries were as I remember, not great; a couple onion rings got mixed in with the fries and those tasted better than I remember them being (I remember them being inedible, these were certainly edible but not great).

Location was very clean and had something like 8 employees working. Most surrounding fast food was closed for Easter so it was quite busy.