Sprouts Operations

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
marketreportblog
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Re: Sprouts Operations

Post by marketreportblog »

storewanderer wrote: April 14th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Some Asian chains seem to work under this strategy but if you look at those stores the H Marts, 99 Ranch, etc. they tend to be quite high volume operations.
You're absolutely right. Another thing worth mentioning about some of these chains with long distances between locations is that sometimes there are family members of the owner's family in these unusual areas. That's a large reason, though of course not the only reason, that some of the NYC area chains (Key Food, Bravo, Ideal, Western Beef) have established a presence in Florida. That's an advantage that Sprouts, or other more corporate chains, don't have. And if there are very few stores in some of these far-flung locations, it's not cost effective to create entire management divisions for the regions.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

marketreportblog wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:21 pm
You're absolutely right. Another thing worth mentioning about some of these chains with long distances between locations is that sometimes there are family members of the owner's family in these unusual areas. That's a large reason, though of course not the only reason, that some of the NYC area chains (Key Food, Bravo, Ideal, Western Beef) have established a presence in Florida. That's an advantage that Sprouts, or other more corporate chains, don't have. And if there are very few stores in some of these far-flung locations, it's not cost effective to create entire management divisions for the regions.
Key Food and Bravo are independent co-ops aren't they? I notice a store that used to be a Bravo is now a Key Foods but I don't think the two are actually related?

I think Key Food orders from UNFI (used to use C&S).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sprouts is opening a new store soon in downtown San Leandro, California near Oakland. It is in an abandoned CVS store that CVS closed in 2014. This is a bad neighborhood with homeless people sleeping in front of downtown stores. People are getting robbed at ATMs in the daytime. It is just down the street from a Walmart that was looted and burned in 2000. Lovely neighborhood...

The Sprouts will have a dark and claustrophobic 2 story parking garage.

The Safeway across the street has such bad theft problems that they have a liquor store inside with unclimable walls and its own cash registers. All the expensive items have to be paid for before leaving the liquor store. You have to step over homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk just to get into the store. Also, this store has to keep the shopping carts inside, because the homeless people will steal them.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 15th, 2022, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marketreportblog
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by marketreportblog »

storewanderer wrote: April 14th, 2022, 10:33 pm
Key Food and Bravo are independent co-ops aren't they? I notice a store that used to be a Bravo is now a Key Foods but I don't think the two are actually related?

Yes, you're right! Key Food Stores Cooperative and Krasdale Foods, the coop that supports Bravo and CTown up north, are competitors. Key Food has taken on a lot of the former Bravos in Florida, along with transplanting some of their NY owners such as Food Fair. Key Food currently has around 50 stores in Florida under various banners; Bravo has more but is losing market share to Key Food -- but that doesn't mean they're exactly struggling. Key Food, however, seems to be trying to build up a better reputation with better maintenance, cleaner stores, and better perishables. If you want to hear more about Key Food and Bravo and so on, I'll be happy to start a new forum topic for that!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

marketreportblog wrote: April 15th, 2022, 10:37 am
storewanderer wrote: April 14th, 2022, 10:33 pm

Yes, you're right! Key Food Stores Cooperative and Krasdale Foods, the coop that supports Bravo and CTown up north, are competitors. Key Food has taken on a lot of the former Bravos in Florida, along with transplanting some of their NY owners such as Food Fair. Key Food currently has around 50 stores in Florida under various banners; Bravo has more but is losing market share to Key Food -- but that doesn't mean they're exactly struggling. Key Food, however, seems to be trying to build up a better reputation with better maintenance, cleaner stores, and better perishables. If you want to hear more about Key Food and Bravo and so on, I'll be happy to start a new forum topic for that!
New thread would be good. Sprouts in Florida would be another interesting topic. I don't hear much about them. Reviews look good (they were good for Lucky's Market in Florida too though).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Another Sprouts closure:
1980 E County Line Rd
Littleton, CO

Next closest Sprouts Stores are 6-10 miles away in a few different directions. This is a solid area of Denver metro and I am surprised by this closure.

I am hoping something seriously changes at Sprouts, or some major expansion of Fresh Thyme takes place to replace this declining Sprouts chain.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sprouts has deteriorated rapidly over the past year. It used to be very popular, but now it is very empty of customers. The employees look like they hate their jobs even more than before.

I totally agree that something new needs to replace them.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: June 20th, 2022, 12:24 am Another Sprouts closure:
1980 E County Line Rd
Littleton, CO

Next closest Sprouts Stores are 6-10 miles away in a few different directions. This is a solid area of Denver metro and I am surprised by this closure.
The closest Sprouts would be in posh Greenwood Village. That one is a former Albertsons that closed in 2009. Who knows what interior that one had as Albertsons.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 20th, 2022, 6:52 pm
1980 E County Line Rd
Littleton, CO

The closest Sprouts would be in posh Greenwood Village. That one is a former Albertsons that closed in 2009. Who knows what interior that one had as Albertsons.
I think the Greenwood Village Albertsons had a repainted blue and gray interior by LLC if it is the store I'm thinking of. Colorado didn't progress much past the Grocery Palace interior.

Sprouts has really lost its way. I do think they are still doing better in some markets than others. I went into a couple in SoCal that looked great, fully stocked, fresh perimeters, pretty good. Pricing isn't great anymore but the stores looked as good as they ever did. The Sprouts I go to in Reno is a pretty terrible store with limited/old meat, poor produce, and very high prices for the market. The cashiers tend to be very friendly but I rarely see the same cashier twice. The store management is detached and doesn't care what is going on. I wish they'd just install self checkouts like I saw in the CA ones. With that said there are many people in Reno who have a very positive impression of Sprouts and truly feel they are getting Whole Foods-level groceries at a fraction of the price. Perception is everything.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 20th, 2022, 6:52 pm
1980 E County Line Rd
Littleton, CO

My friend tells me the Sprouts in Lone Tree is busy and usually in very good shape!

Meanwhile all of them near me are just awful (W. Hollywood, B.H., et al).