Long John Silver's

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Long John Silver's

Post by SamSpade »

Former Simpsons writer Bill Oakley recently went to the only location in the Portland, Ore. area (a cobrand with Taco Bell in Hillsboro) and his review was not positive. Like above, he mentioned that it was just. so. salty. and that perhaps this was something people in the 1970s were just more into than current times.

I believe this was an Instagram story post, so I cannot link to it now.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

there's only on LJS left in fresno area in clovis and it's a combo with A&W. it wouldn't be a shock if soon enough they ditch LJS and convert the remaining locations to freestanding A&W stores at some point.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have never seen an A&W standalone restaurant in California. There are many KFC/A&W combo restaurants in California.

There are not enough people who want A&W food by itself. They can get burgers at many other places. I have no idea how an A&W can survive on its own in California.

I always get something from the KFC menu and maybe get ice cream. There is nothing else at A&W that interests me.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm I have never seen an A&W standalone restaurant in California. There are many KFC/A&W combo restaurants in California.

There are not enough people who want A&W food by itself. They can get burgers at many other places. I have no idea how an A&W can survive on its own in California.

I always get something from the KFC menu and maybe get ice cream. There is nothing else at A&W that interests me.
There is a long standing freestanding A&W up in San Rafael. There is another long standing freestanding A&W in Lodi. Lodi might be the original A&W or something along those lines but not sure. The last one up here in NV is in Sparks; it does pretty well. There was an A&W in Reno that did well but lost its lease and the building was demolished unfortunately.

The LJS food sold in the combo units is not made the same as it is in the freestanding units. The A&W food is supposedly the same. I've never been impressed with A&W food.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

there is also a standalone A&W in visalia and it's really busy.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Reno Long John Silvers has closed.

The owner reportedly decided to retire.

I am surprised the very long term manager did not assume operations of the location. The physical condition of the location wasn't the best, registers needed to be upgraded, etc.

Awful lot of fall out of restaurants in Reno area lately.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Most of the LJS stores have left Houston but a few combo units are still in the greater Austin area. I used to eat at the combo KFC/LJS/7-Eleven sometimes.

Elsewhere in the county, there was an LJS/A&W combo store, rebuilt from a regular LJS in the early 2000s. The A&W part closed in the early 2010s and the rest of the chain closed about five or six years after that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It appears the inflation situation is really bringing a lot of restaurants to their bitter end now. As prices just keep going up and up (it is VERY difficult when we get told 7.7% inflation is an improvement- yes it is an improvement but still very painful) it seems like the finances just aren't working out for more and more of these restaurant businesses and they have to just close down rather than sell and stay open. 30-40 years in business down the drain just like that.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I don't think that heavily battered salty fried fish is popular anymore, people prefer lighter breadings/seasonings.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:53 am I don't think that heavily battered salty fried fish is popular anymore, people prefer lighter breadings/seasonings.
They have had grilled items in the past also. They used a small George Foreman type grill similar process to how Chickfila serves grilled chicken. It was still very salty though.