Long John Silver's

Alpha8472

Long John Silver's

Post by Alpha8472 »

Long John Silver's is offering Swashbockler beer at two pubs in Louisville.

I have not heard much from this company in a long time. Most of the Long John Silver's KFC combo restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area have either closed or switched to KFC only.
storewanderer

Re: Long John Silver's

Post by storewanderer »

LJS/A&W is a separate company from YUCK now and the co-brands seem to slowly be fading away. The food in the co-branded units is supposedly not quite the same as the freestanding units get but I am not sure what the difference is. I think it may have something to do with the breading process.

LJS has been shrinking a lot over many decades. Since breaking off from YUCK they started to take over some failing franchise units and run them as corporate units in an effort to save the chain. I think some of the CA units are corporate but I am not sure which ones.

There are still a few freestanding LJS units around Sacramento, one in Reno, and one in Yuba City. The Reno LJS franchisee also owns the Sparks A&W and it has a stable loyal customer base and has had the same manager for many years, the current labor shortage is a problem and the owner is also working in the restaurant fairly often (age 70's or 80's) again. It is as good as LJS can get- piping hot and very well fried fish but the problem is the level of salt in this product seems to be off the charts (almost too salty to be edible). I can get a piece or two of fish down but nothing more. Completely gave up even attempting to consume any side items with the fish. The location has not been renovated in many years and does not use the corporate cash register so no gift cards, online ordering, etc.

Honestly, if you want seafood and are not with many options, go spend the $15.99 on a pick 3 at Red Lobster. It at least is not so salty. It also isn't much more expensive.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 5:41 pm Long John Silver's is offering Swashbockler beer at two pubs in Louisville.

I have not heard much from this company in a long time. Most of the Long John Silver's KFC combo restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area have either closed or switched to KFC only.
Long John SIlver's continues to close locations and decrease its visibility. I would be surprised it is in business long term.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Most of the LJS locations I've seen are still in the old buildings they've occupied for at least the last 35+ years. Here in Austin, LJS hasn't disappeared as much as Houston (though both have about six each per metropolitan area, Houston being the bigger loss since the area is so much more spread out) and in both cases, combo stores reign supreme.

The KFC/LJS/7-Eleven right near me in the Austin area seems to be still holding out, and I eat there occasionally without incident.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There is a 7-Eleven inside as well? Now that is unusual.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The only LJS location I knew of around here was a combination KFC/LJS in Everett that eventually rebranded to just a KFC some time in late 2019 (there was also one in Federal Way, but that one seems to have converted to a straight KFC some time ago.) Fish and chips places have largely fallen by the wayside around here with the exception of Ivar's, which seems to be fairly stable.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 12th, 2022, 12:27 pm There is a 7-Eleven inside as well? Now that is unusual.
Yeah, many of the former 7-Eleven stores were former Stripes, which in turn were former Sac-N-Pac stores, so as a result, there are things like that and a 7-Eleven/Schlotzsky's. In the latter's case, there's a straight entrance from one side to the other, in the former, the seating is along a hallway toward the restaurant counter, and no clear demarcation other than different ceiling lights (the store does not have an unusually greasy smell that tends to collect here, especially with a counter directly on the sales floor). The store is about 6,700 square feet including both the store and the restaurant.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Long John Silver's has brought back Lobster Bites. This is Norway Lobster tail coated in a savory buttery breading.

There is only one Long John Silver's left in the San Francisco Bay Area in Fairfield, California. It is a KFC/LJS Combo restaurant.

There are a couple in Sacramento. Back around 5 years ago there were more in the San Francisco Bay Area They seemed to have converted to just plain KFC locations.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Alpha8472 wrote:Long John Silver's has brought back Lobster Bites. This is Norway Lobster tail coated in a savory buttery breading.

There is only one Long John Silver's left in the San Francisco Bay Area in Fairfield, California. It is a KFC/LJS Combo restaurant.

There are a couple in Sacramento. Back around 5 years ago there were more in the San Francisco Bay Area They seemed to have converted to just plain KFC locations.
Sacramento is down to three:North Highlands, South natomas (on Northgate),and in the south area near Florin Towne center.I grew up with the Citrus Heights location (8000 block of Greenback)which became a jimboy's tacos and has since been converted into yet another Starbucks.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Their unit count seems to keep dwindling. Only 17 units in CA. I think most of those are co-brands.

There is one in Reno that is a freestanding one, it keeps hanging on, and has a loyal following. They do the best they can with the brand, they try very hard and have a lot of loyal regular customers, but I decided the food is just too salty for me.