Albertsons to reopen former Minyard/Fiesta in Irving

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Re: Albertsons to reopen former Minyard/Fiesta in Irving

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

To the point SoleOwnerOfMyName made, I think H-E-B greatly underestimates the extent of disgust DFW shoppers have for Tom Thumb / Albertsons' "Everyday Sky High Prices With Mediocre Stores Guaranteed!" model. In the heart of the Metroplex, people only shop at Tom Thumb / Albertson's because it's often the only nearest option aside from Kroger (which isn't any better).

They don't realize the storm that will be brewing when the first few stores open, sort of like In-N-Out was when thet first opened in DFW
Last edited by DFWRetaileWatcher on April 21st, 2022, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: April 21st, 2022, 3:23 pm To the point SoleOwnerOfMyName made, I think H-E-B greatly underestimates the extent of disgust DFW shoppers have for Tom Thom / Albertsons' "Everday Sky High Prices With Mediocre Stores Guaranteed!" model. In the heart of the Metroplex, people only shop at Tom Thumb / Albertson's because it's often the only nearest option aside from Kroger (which isn't any better).

They don't realize the storm that will be brewing when the first few stores open, sort of like In-N-Out was when thet first opened in DFW
I think you could say that for the various western regions Safeway dominates too. People are not satisfied with the place but keep shopping there because they basically don't have much of another choice. Albertsons has at least made some improvements to staffing levels in the stores compared to how the old Safeway did things but beyond that the quality being hit and miss, more limited product mix compared to competitors, and terrible pricing, it is the same old story all over the place.

If WinCo ends up deciding they are unable to get mass in DFW and pull out- would their stores make good HEB conversions? They are large... built for volume...

I wonder if WinCo and HEB would make a good merger. WinCo being ESOP, not clear how that would work.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2022, 6:30 pm
DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: April 21st, 2022, 3:23 pm To the point SoleOwnerOfMyName made, I think H-E-B greatly underestimates the extent of disgust DFW shoppers have for Tom Thom / Albertsons' "Everday Sky High Prices With Mediocre Stores Guaranteed!" model. In the heart of the Metroplex, people only shop at Tom Thumb / Albertson's because it's often the only nearest option aside from Kroger (which isn't any better).

I think you could say that for the various western regions Safeway dominates too. People are not satisfied with the place but keep shopping there because they basically don't have much of another choice. Albertsons has at least made some improvements to staffing levels in the stores compared to how the old Safeway did things but beyond that the quality being hit and miss, more limited product mix compared to competitors, and terrible pricing, it is the same old story all over the place.

If WinCo ends up deciding they are unable to get mass in DFW and pull out- would their stores make good HEB conversions? They are large... built for volume...

I wonder if WinCo and HEB would make a good merger. WinCo being ESOP, not clear how that would work.
If what I hear is true, I don't think that WinCo will pull out of DFW short of some sort of corporate disaster that requires them to offload stores, nor do I think H-E-B would be able to pull off buying them out of the market.

The comparison with In-N-Out seems apt...a lot of hype for sure but at the end of the day it's not going to change anything. And H-E-B dominates much of south Texas because it really is the only grocery store around. Where else are you going to go to? Walmart? An independent Hispanic grocer?

Like I said, everyone assumes that H-E-B will automatically do well, but the only market it conquered in any recent history is Houston, which can be summed up with striking at the right time with the Pantry stores and then a series of lucky breaks. And it STILL took years to really get to where it was today.

Meanwhile, there are a few markets south and east of Austin (Cleburne, Waxahachie, Burleson) where both Albertsons and H-E-B have competed for a while.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: April 21st, 2022, 9:51 pm
If what I hear is true, I don't think that WinCo will pull out of DFW short of some sort of corporate disaster that requires them to offload stores, nor do I think H-E-B would be able to pull off buying them out of the market.

The comparison with In-N-Out seems apt...a lot of hype for sure but at the end of the day it's not going to change anything. And H-E-B dominates much of south Texas because it really is the only grocery store around. Where else are you going to go to? Walmart? An independent Hispanic grocer?

Like I said, everyone assumes that H-E-B will automatically do well, but the only market it conquered in any recent history is Houston, which can be summed up with striking at the right time with the Pantry stores and then a series of lucky breaks. And it STILL took years to really get to where it was today.

Meanwhile, there are a few markets south and east of Austin (Cleburne, Waxahachie, Burleson) where both Albertsons and H-E-B have competed for a while.
I guess we could say based on those marketshare figures for HEB in Dallas they are already doing very well, they just have so few stores as to not be so much of a factor in the market. Will future stores perform as well as existing stores? Maybe. That remains to be seen. And if that is the case it would only take 15-20 new HEBs to completely roll over quite a few competitors and it will be bloody ugly for the competitors.

And at the end of the day I still think WinCo is going to put pricing pressure on HEB that HEB has never before experienced. WinCo is much more aggressive on price than Wal Mart in its current form.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Store's still not ready for showtime and still a few months away from opening, but some preliminary construction pictures show it does have Drive Up & Go (limiting square footage) and has Heritage decor. They also stripped out all the flooring and ceiling tiles of the old Minyard/Fiesta so it's more a warehouse look now.

I guess in the event of a merger this is the store they'll keep instead of the nearby Kroger (picked up from Safeway in the late 1980s).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:37 pm Store's still not ready for showtime and still a few months away from opening, but some preliminary construction pictures show it does have Drive Up & Go (limiting square footage) and has Heritage decor. They also stripped out all the flooring and ceiling tiles of the old Minyard/Fiesta so it's more a warehouse look now.

I guess in the event of a merger this is the store they'll keep instead of the nearby Kroger (picked up from Safeway in the late 1980s).
Albertsons to have record openings this year: I don't think the banner Albertsons has opened this many stores since perhaps its first year under Supervalu (clearing out expansions from Larry that were in progress when the company was split up):
2 stores in Montana
1 store in Wyoming
1 store in Texas

I wonder if any others will open.

But I'm sure it will be a net decline in store count for the Albertsons banner after the Safeway people running things in OR/WA convert more Albertsons into Safeway.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:57 pm
pseudo3d wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:37 pm Store's still not ready for showtime and still a few months away from opening, but some preliminary construction pictures show it does have Drive Up & Go (limiting square footage) and has Heritage decor. They also stripped out all the flooring and ceiling tiles of the old Minyard/Fiesta so it's more a warehouse look now.

Albertsons to have record openings this year: I don't think the banner Albertsons has opened this many stores since perhaps its first year under Supervalu (clearing out expansions from Larry that were in progress when the company was split up):
2 stores in Montana
1 store in Wyoming
1 store in Texas

I wonder if any others will open.

But I'm sure it will be a net decline in store count for the Albertsons banner after the Safeway people running things in OR/WA convert more Albertsons into Safeway.
They did convert those Paul's stores to Albertsons around 2015 or 2016.

It may be related to their ongoing financial situation but I expected after COVID that they'd pick up a few independent one-offs to add to their store fleet...but then again, the number of viable independent stores continues to dwindle by the year.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:53 pm

They did convert those Paul's stores to Albertsons around 2015 or 2016.

It may be related to their ongoing financial situation but I expected after COVID that they'd pick up a few independent one-offs to add to their store fleet...but then again, the number of viable independent stores continues to dwindle by the year.
That was the Bob Miller strategy. Recall they picked up those two independent stores for Safeway NorCal in Petaluma/Santa Rosa in that era, plus Andronico's. Also a random Thriftway up in Wilsonville, OR. It was also highly expected they would take over Scolari's in Nevada and rebrand those as Safeway but then those ended up with Raleys instead (was strange how that happened and not what was expected but may have been something about the slot machines as Scolaris still controls the slot machines in the stores they sold to Raleys).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote: May 4th, 2023, 8:16 pm The store opened April 28th!

https://www.google.com/search?q=alberts ... E0eVY2MlIx
Nice looking store. Although I am not a fan of that A/leaf logo, it does look nice as a border on the aisle signs. Not so fond of it plastered on the walls.