Home Depot Set On Fire in San Jose, California

storewanderer

Re: Home Depot Set On Fire in San Jose, California

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: April 18th, 2022, 12:18 am
jamcool wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:05 am The only thing keeping California afloat is the Silicon Valley and Hollywood. Ask the people in the Central Valley or rural California how things are, or U-Haul.
I'm in the Central Valley. As for how things are, we are the fastest-growing region of the state, and home prices are rapidly increasing, although not quite at LA levels yet, due to the influx of residents from both the urban areas of California and from out of state.
I can validate that there are definitely folks moving there from out of state... believe it or not... though census seems to show population is declining net in the state more people leaving the state entirely than those moving to the valley/less crowded parts.

Also will be interesting to see how "return to office" impacts things. Many people moved out of urban areas assuming work from home would last forever. More and more companies have decided that isn't going to be the case and are summoning people back to the office in the big city.
bayford
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by bayford »

An arrest has been made in connection to the fire. Charges and additional information are to be released tomorrow.

https://abc7news.com/home-depot-fire-sa ... /11765668/
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

One down, and however many more are still out there.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Some insight on the local locations:the Carmichael location(which I don't live to far from)is in a converted early 1970's Woolco that later spent time as one of the first local price club(now Costco) locations,and may be the oldest home Depot location locally.Basically all of the other local home Depot locations were new builds(the 2000 Howe location replaced a 1970-era Kmart in the mid-2000's and may or may not retain structural elements of the the prior building).All of the local Lowe's locations are new builds.

Whether sabotage was truly involved or not, I do have to wonder if the south San Jose location in question (on blossom Hill opposite Westfield Oakridge)was a new build or pre-code recycled big box, considering the possibilty that the store lacked working fire suppression systems as suggested by the ABC 7 news Bay area news article.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Fire sprinklers only turn on if the fire is hot enough to melt the metal plugs and release the water. This ancient technology is outdated and by the time the water turns on, the fire is already out of control. The sprinklers are 40 or 50 feet up.

Also remember those retail theft rings are paying people to get jobs in loss prevention and inside the stores in order to sabotage and steal from within. Many loss prevention managers were fired several months ago at another chain when it was discovered that they hired people who were in the retail theft ring. It is corrupt from the inside.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The suspect was a shoplifter who set the fire and then tried to wheel a shopping cart of tools out the door. He was stopped at the door by an employee and was prevented from taking the merchandise.

He fled in a car driven by another person and later went to a Macy's in the East Bay and robbed it 30 minutes later. Earlier in the day he robbed a Bass Pro shop. He has stolen from many stores including Sunglass Hut, Guitar Center, and an office supply store. He stole 45 pairs of jeans, 14 Sunglass Hut sunglasses, and a guitar.

The fire cost over 17 million dollars and he faces 14 years to life in prison for grand theft and aggravated arson. Aggravated arson is when you can prove that the arson could have killed people. He is being held without bail. He would be eligible for parole in 6 years.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

May or may not be OT,but a scary thought popped in my head:In the Westlake neighborhood in West Central Los Angeles,there is a block(West Sixth Street on the north,Wilshire Boulevard on the south,Union Avenue on the east,and Burlington Avenue on the west)there is a ad-hoc multi-level retail block built on a sloping hill:On the bottom is a Home Depot on Wilshire and accessible from it with a McD in the parking lot.Going north up the hill via Burlington or Union,you'll hit West Sixth where you can access a Food-4-Less and Rite Aid built atop that particular Home Depot and thus accessible only from West Sixth.Additionally,on the SWC of West Sixth and Union,there some older buildings adjacent to the de facto 2-story retail block but not part of it.Considering that there is quite a bit on the top of and adjacent to this particular Home Depot,I find just the thought of something similar happening here very frightening considering that this is in an even denser setup than the Blossom Hill location with even more destructive potential.

DISCLAIMER:I've only been through LA on one round trip and that was decades ago,thus the info for this and other posts of mine may be based off of Google Maps and Street View.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They make it seem like it was just two robbers. Perhaps it was 2 people paid by the criminal theft ring. The 45 pairs of jeans seems like he works for the retail theft ring. The investigation only talks about 2 that were discovered stealing. Maybe there was an entire group and the others wheeled their shopping carts out during the evacuation.