Stater Bros. Employees Ratify 2022 Contract

California. No non-grocery posts.
SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Stater Bros. Employees Ratify 2022 Contract

Post by SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT »

Per UFCW Local 1167 in Bloomington, CA....

New Stater Bros. contract has been ratified!
A new 3-year agreement with Stater Bros. has been ratified by SoCal UFCW Stater Bros. members and goes into effect starting today, April 9, 2022.

For more than two years of Stater Bros. members risking their lives to serve California’s communities as essential workers, and because of their solidarity and commitment to fighting for the contract they deserve, the new contract includes:

Significant wage increases
Guaranteed minimum hours
Healthcare improvements
Protected pension
While the pandemic and its deadly impact may not be over, UFCW Local 1167 members solidarity, and the outpouring of support from your customers and communities, have proven it is possible to secure a fair deal when we have each other's backs.

This new contract secured raises our Stater Bros. members deserve, better healthcare, and protected pension over the next three years, and sets the benchmark for generations of essential California grocery workers for years to come.

I'll withhold an opinion until I review what the contract actually states. I do find it strange that the unions decided to wait until the day of the vote to present any key points of the proposal - until a member is actually at the voting location and then presented with a few details of what was agreed to by the bargaining committee and the grocers.

However, any wage increases are surely to be wiped out by rampant inflation many sectors of the economy are experiencing - which we have not seen since the mid and late 1970's.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
storewanderer

Re: Stater Bros. Employees Ratify 2022 Contract

Post by storewanderer »

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:05 pm I'll withhold an opinion until I review what the contract actually states. I do find it strange that the unions decided to wait until the day of the vote to present any key points of the proposal - until a member is actually at the voting location and then presented with a few details of what was agreed to by the bargaining committee and the grocers.

However, any wage increases are surely to be wiped out by rampant inflation many sectors of the economy are experiencing - which we have not seen since the mid and late 1970's.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT[/font]
Take it a few ways:
1. The contract is so bad we are afraid to show it to membership. You have to vote on it to see what is actually in it. But once you vote yes it is basically too late what is done is done. Sorry. Gee, that sounds like something else. Off topic and not going there.

2. We don't have time to show it to membership we need to do the vote now (or... what? what is the downside to delaying the vote a bit and letting membership review the details?).

3. We know what is best for our members and we will tell them to vote yes. The members should not question what we agreed to with the chains and we are railroading them into voting for what we agreed to and not telling them. Trust us, it is good stuff.

Frankly if I was involved in a union that was not showing contract details on a contract it was asking me to vote for, I'd vote no. Further, I would attempt to leave that union if I could. Working in a CA grocer you have no choice, you either join the union or you don't work there. The union seems to know this too. These employees are really stuck in the middle of two entities the union and the employer and... well I will just stop talking now.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:05 pm Per UFCW Local 1167 in Bloomington, CA....

New Stater Bros. contract has been ratified!
A new 3-year agreement with Stater Bros. has been ratified by SoCal UFCW Stater Bros. members and goes into effect starting today, April 9, 2022.

For more than two years of Stater Bros. members risking their lives to serve California’s communities as essential workers, and because of their solidarity and commitment to fighting for the contract they deserve, the new contract includes:

Significant wage increases
Guaranteed minimum hours
Healthcare improvements
Protected pension
While the pandemic and its deadly impact may not be over, UFCW Local 1167 members solidarity, and the outpouring of support from your customers and communities, have proven it is possible to secure a fair deal when we have each other's backs.

This new contract secured raises our Stater Bros. members deserve, better healthcare, and protected pension over the next three years, and sets the benchmark for generations of essential California grocery workers for years to come.

I'll withhold an opinion until I review what the contract actually states. I do find it strange that the unions decided to wait until the day of the vote to present any key points of the proposal - until a member is actually at the voting location and then presented with a few details of what was agreed to by the bargaining committee and the grocers.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT

Have you been given any definitive reason WHY the Union is not providing details prior to the vote?

I have never heard of this nor personally experienced this in my younger years as a Union member (Colorado, Florida, New York, California).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 10th, 2022, 10:07 am

Have you been given any definitive reason WHY the Union is not providing details prior to the vote?

I have never heard of this nor personally experienced this in my younger years as a Union member (Colorado, Florida, New York, California).
I am surprised it is even legal to not provide details prior to the vote, of the contract terms/full contract. But assuming it is legal, it still doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I don't expect everyone reads the full contract but transparency is very important. Hiding the details of the contract seems to be the polar opposite of what unions are supposed to do for the employees.

The thing I don't like about this is one of the points of the union is to ensure the employees are more engaged in the process of the wage and benefit negotiation and agreeing to the terms. Unlike at will employment in a non union environment where the employer can basically change the game at any point in time, the union and employer operate under the membership approved contract where it sets out the terms and the employees have a clear understanding of how things are going to be for the term of the contract.

Is this possibly a new way of the unions doing things? Telling the employee to join the union but we won't give you full information on a contract you vote on, until after it is passed? This way of operating needs to be squashed real fast.
klkla

Post by klkla »

It's been like this for a while (at least since the 90's). They didn't give any details until the day of the vote and that was basically just a few "we saved your [Benefit] and this was the best we could do."

This doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like this is what is being given at the vote site.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: April 11th, 2022, 10:39 pm

Looks like this is what is being given at the vote site.
Yup. Minimum wage increases in some cities or unincorporated areas are going to be darn close to what they will get under the contract . For example, unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County will be $15.96 per hour starting on July 1, 2022. A 6.4% increase from the previous July determined before inflation really started raging. City of Los Angeles minimum is going up even more to $1.04 per hour ($16.04 minimum) starting July 1, 2022.
West Hollywood is $16.50 starting 7/1/22, $17.50 starting 1/1/23 & $18.86 starting 7/1/23 (CPI yearly starting 7/1/24 but they're talking about a new wage law).
The state has a 3.5% minimum each year after any minimum wage tops out to $15 but cities and countries aren't restricted by it. But these union contracts don't apply to it.