Baskin Robbins rebrand

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Baskin Robbins rebrand

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/business ... index.html

Baskin Robbins is rolling out new branding that returns to the original brown and pink color scheme they used many years ago, but with a more modern logo. Seems to be an improvement over the logo they've been using since 2006 (which now looks incredibly dated) but looking around some of the local stores here I still see quite a few using the 1991 logo on external signage, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of enforcement of branding. They also didn't take the shortcut of bringing back the original "Circus" logo the way Pizza Hut and Burger King did, but I think that logo would have been too dated to be effective now.
Alpha8472

Re: Baskin Robbins rebrand

Post by Alpha8472 »

I like it better than the hard to read pink colored one.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

More throwing money against the wind :lol:

These companies doing the same thing over and over again expecting different and better results. Crazy!

They always ignore the fundamentals for the affectations instead.
Super S

Post by Super S »

The problem with Baskin-Robbins is that their ice cream has a kinda "manufactured" feel to it and doesn't really stand out. It doesn't help when franchise operators charge $3-$4 (or more) for a very stingy, barely full scoop placed on top of a hollow cone, which is really a poor value when you think about it. They can revamp the logo as much as they want, but when the product doesn't have anything special to offer, the new logo means nothing.

I guess they intend to be consistent, which in and of itself is fine. But I don't view them as a premium product, which I sometimes get the feeling is how they try to market their ice cream.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: April 13th, 2022, 2:40 pm The problem with Baskin-Robbins is that their ice cream has a kinda "manufactured" feel to it and doesn't really stand out. It doesn't help when franchise operators charge $3-$4 (or more) for a very stingy, barely full scoop placed on top of a hollow cone, which is really a poor value when you think about it. They can revamp the logo as much as they want, but when the product doesn't have anything special to offer, the new logo means nothing.

I guess they intend to be consistent, which in and of itself is fine. But I don't view them as a premium product, which I sometimes get the feeling is how they try to market their ice cream.
I am surprised this chain has survived. The ice cream tastes like store brand ice cream from a supermarket, has less flavor selection than most store brand ice creams from supermarkets, and is way overpriced for what it is. Between various "better" ice cream chains or the fro-yo self serve places, cheaper regional places like Braum's in OK, I have no idea how this chain survives.

Also in CA the Baskin Robbins ice cream is sold in pints at various supermarkets, often about 2.50 each pint. It is made at the same plant that a lot of store brand ice cream is made. It tastes like store brand ice cream. Not bad. But not worth 2.50 a pint let alone what some shops charge for 1 air-in-the-middle scoop.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Super S wrote: April 13th, 2022, 2:40 pm The problem with Baskin-Robbins is that their ice cream has a kinda "manufactured" feel to it and doesn't really stand out. It doesn't help when franchise operators charge $3-$4 (or more) for a very stingy, barely full scoop placed on top of a hollow cone, which is really a poor value when you think about it. They can revamp the logo as much as they want, but when the product doesn't have anything special to offer, the new logo means nothing.

They're definitely a throwback and I can't remember the last time I went to one, although I used to pass by their long running location near the National Zoo everyday. Whenever the last time was, it seemed like they hadn't changed much in ages. They probably have been able to trade on nostalgia. They also have avoided the mistakes of others---Friendly's went the full service coffee shop model and has had extreme ups and downs for ages. Farrell's (which never seemed very good to me) went into malls, had a brief heyday and no long exists. Swenson's ultimately had more success in Thailand than in the US. Cold Stone rose with the mix-in fad and then seemed to evaporate. Baskin Robbins' old niche was relatively premium, high fat ice cream with many flavors. Haagen-Daz and Ben & Jerry's took over much of that niche and could be bought in supermarkets but were closing stores even before COVID and there are new competitors like Jenni's (trendy flavors) and Graeter's (an old regional with a truly premium product). Carvel is the one other oldie that has managed to persist by sticking mostly to their tried and true model--the ice cream cakes aren't as popular as they once were, but still a novelty---otherwise I never cared for their ice cream, but a lot of other people still do.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

buckguy wrote: April 14th, 2022, 5:36 am

They're definitely a throwback and I can't remember the last time I went to one, although I used to pass by their long running location near the National Zoo everyday. Whenever the last time was, it seemed like they hadn't changed much in ages. They probably have been able to trade on nostalgia. They also have avoided the mistakes of others---Friendly's went the full service coffee shop model and has had extreme ups and downs for ages. Farrell's (which never seemed very good to me) went into malls, had a brief heyday and no long exists. Swenson's ultimately had more success in Thailand than in the US. Cold Stone rose with the mix-in fad and then seemed to evaporate. Baskin Robbins' old niche was relatively premium, high fat ice cream with many flavors. Haagen-Daz and Ben & Jerry's took over much of that niche and could be bought in supermarkets but were closing stores even before COVID and there are new competitors like Jenni's (trendy flavors) and Graeter's (an old regional with a truly premium product). Carvel is the one other oldie that has managed to persist by sticking mostly to their tried and true model--the ice cream cakes aren't as popular as they once were, but still a novelty---otherwise I never cared for their ice cream, but a lot of other people still do.
In the Portland.market, a local chain Salt & Straw is absolutely killing it. They have lines out the door for their extremely expensive ice cream even during the winter months. They're also in Washington, California and Florida. These more local, higher end ice cream shops seem to be taking a lot of market share from the national ice cream chains, many of which seem to be downsizing.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

When people see Baskin-Robbins ice cream for sale at a supermarket, it makes you not want to go into a Baskin-Robbins. You can get the ice cream for cheaper. Who wants to pay for overpriced ice cream. This is probably what hurt the Baskin-Robbins stores the most.

Dairy Queen seems to be more popular than Baskin-Robbins. Perhaps it is the addition of hot food. Or perhaps the portions at Dairy Queen seem less stingy.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:41 pm When people see Baskin-Robbins ice cream for sale at a supermarket, it makes you not want to go into a Baskin-Robbins. You can get the ice cream for cheaper. Who wants to pay for overpriced ice cream. This is probably what hurt the Baskin-Robbins stores the most.

Dairy Queen seems to be more popular than Baskin-Robbins. Perhaps it is the addition of hot food. Or perhaps the portions at Dairy Queen seem less stingy.
Then again you have areas like here where there aren't any Baskin Robbins stores any longer (they used to be around, then some areas had, and may still have, them as a co-operative with Dunkin Donuts).

So in that case they get the benefit of being in a supermarket for regular sales and also to remind people of the brand, which may give them reason to stop at an actual BR store if they are in an area where it exists as they recognize the name.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: April 17th, 2022, 10:53 am

Then again you have areas like here where there aren't any Baskin Robbins stores any longer (they used to be around, then some areas had, and may still have, them as a co-operative with Dunkin Donuts).

So in that case they get the benefit of being in a supermarket for regular sales and also to remind people of the brand, which may give them reason to stop at an actual BR store if they are in an area where it exists as they recognize the name.
I've bought some of the supermarket BR items including both pints of ice cream and ice cream sandwiches. The quality of these items seemed to be at or below the quality of standard (not even premium like a Private Selection) private label ice creams. The quality of the supermarket items cemented my opinion that BR is not worth the price and solidified my future plans that I will not be likely setting foot in a freestanding BR because I perceive it as not being worth the price.