Coke For Passover -- Shortage?

California. No non-grocery posts.
SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Coke For Passover -- Shortage?

Post by SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT »

With the start of Passover fast approaching, have any of you noticed a shortage/limited supply of the "yellow cap" two liter bottles of Coca-Cola (Coke for Passover) at your favorite grocer?

This is the time of the year where you can purchase Coca-Cola in two liter bottles, made without high fructose corn syrup and produced within the United States - not imported from a foreign country.

Any experiences?

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Coke For Passover -- Shortage?

Post by ClownLoach »

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT wrote: April 14th, 2022, 9:17 am With the start of Passover fast approaching, have any of you noticed a shortage/limited supply of the "yellow cap" two liter bottles of Coca-Cola (Coke for Passover) at your favorite grocer?

This is the time of the year where you can purchase Coca-Cola in two liter bottles, made without high fructose corn syrup and produced within the United States - not imported from a foreign country.

Any experiences?

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Gelsons has pallets of it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 14th, 2022, 10:38 am
SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT wrote: April 14th, 2022, 9:17 am With the start of Passover fast approaching, have any of you noticed a shortage/limited supply of the "yellow cap" two liter bottles of Coca-Cola (Coke for Passover) at your favorite grocer?

Any experiences?

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Gelsons has pallets of it.
I don't think this Coke gets sent up to Nevada.
SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Gelson's is kind of far to travel. My local Ralph's Fresh Fare has had Coke for Passover on and off. I think others have caught on and stock-up knowing it contains sucrose (cane/beet sugar) instead of high fructose corn syrup - not necessarily those that are observant for Passover - but that strains supplies for those of us who don't drink Coke with the red caps during Passover.

I know, I know, such real world problems. At least one of the largest Matzo factories in the world is located in Ukraine and is still able to produce Matzo - which ironically was prohibited in the former Soviet Union.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT wrote: April 15th, 2022, 11:55 am Gelson's is kind of far to travel. My local Ralph's Fresh Fare has had Coke for Passover on and off. I think others have caught on and stock-up knowing it contains sucrose (cane/beet sugar) instead of high fructose corn syrup - not necessarily those that are observant for Passover - but that strains supplies for those of us who don't drink Coke with the red caps during Passover.

I know, I know, such real world problems. At least one of the largest Matzo factories in the world is located in Ukraine and is still able to produce Matzo - which ironically was prohibited in the former Soviet Union.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Seems in that case the ones producing Coke in that area should simply make more of it with the sugar formula, if it is a popular seller.

If they did that over a longer period, those wanting it beyond those who celebrate Passover would be able to stock up and there would still be enough for everyone.

After all, Pepsi has been canning (not sure about bottles) a made with real sugar version for some time now, which is sold alongside the traditional one with corn syrup and that works just fine, so why not have Coke offer the same?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: April 17th, 2022, 10:46 am

Seems in that case the ones producing Coke in that area should simply make more of it with the sugar formula, if it is a popular seller.

If they did that over a longer period, those wanting it beyond those who celebrate Passover would be able to stock up and there would still be enough for everyone.

After all, Pepsi has been canning (not sure about bottles) a made with real sugar version for some time now, which is sold alongside the traditional one with corn syrup and that works just fine, so why not have Coke offer the same?
At least in Nevada, the Pepsi Real Sugar is sold in 20 ounce plastic bottles. Not sure about 2 L.

I wonder if some Coke bottlers make the real sugar version all year in the US?
SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

The other issue is that Coke for Passover production must be overseen by a Rabbi - not an easy task, hence the limited time availability around the Passover holiday. Also, not every Coke bottling plant produces Coke for Passover.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT wrote: April 19th, 2022, 12:16 am The other issue is that Coke for Passover production must be overseen by a Rabbi - not an easy task, hence the limited time availability around the Passover holiday. Also, not every Coke bottling plant produces Coke for Passover.

SO_CAL_RETAIL_SLUT
But nothing would stop them from making additional with that formula (the real sugar) that those who don't care about Passover could purchase, thus leaving the specially packaged stuff for those who do care.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Not sure about what the situation is in other parts of the country, but up in the Pacific Northwest a lot of stores and quick serve Mexican restaurants sell imported Coke products from Mexico which are made with cane sugar and sold in glass bottles. Coca Cola and Orange Fanta are the most common ones to find, but every so often you can find Sprite or other Fanta flavors (I know I've found Strawberry and Pineapple before) as well. Typically these are found in the Mexican foods aisle next to the Jarritos and other Mexican sodas, so I would assume that whoever is supplying those to the stores is also the one supplying Mexican Coke.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some of the Mexican sodas in Mexico switched to high fructose corn syrup to save costs in 2013. Mexico claims that they do not use high fructose corn syrup in the Mexican sodas they send to the U.S. There is high fructose corn syrup in use in Mexico. You might be scammed by used bottles that still say sugar. In Mexico, they sell sodas in plastic bags and they give you a straw to drink it.