Food 4 Less Norwalk-Imperial Highway- closed 3/26/22

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Food 4 Less Norwalk-Imperial Highway- closed 3/26/22

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: April 15th, 2022, 10:16 pm

It did have a security guard stationed out front, and recently Woke Kroger stopped locking up most items previously under key, and added a second security guard to patrol the store. I wouldn’t be surprised if high theft + the added security sealed this store’s fate.
Have the quit locking up liquor too? Lots of locked up liquor in the FoodsCo units. If areas are not staffed properly, this set up of locking stuff up doesn't work out. In the case of Kroger I never heard about any problems with people being unable to access locked up products (just some folks got offended about what was being locked up), but I am sure we will start hearing problems with people not finding what they needed because the stuff all got stolen and was not promptly replenished.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:04 pm
CalItalian wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:02 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:27 am

Not sure that self checkout is still there. I was in that store a few weeks ago. I could have missed it (I didn't buy anything).

It does seem like a conventional store in there anyway.
It's on the far left side of the checkstands. Mission Valley (San Diego) also has them. I don't understand what you mean by conventional store?
The store was laid out like a Ralphs, not like a Food 4 Less. Produce on opposite side of the store from bakery/deli. I entered/exited on produce side. Did not notice the self checkouts which it sounds like would have been over on the bakery/deli side. The store wasn't busy at all when I went in (early afternoon); had a few registers open and no lines. Must get a lot busier afternoon/evening.

Is it a converted Ralphs?
I don't know the history of the store. Long Beach is a strange city as you have lower income neighborhoods right up against higher income neighborhoods. A real patchwork. I believe there is only one entrance/exit area, though. There is just one row of self checkouts (3, I think). It's right up against a regular checkstand.

On Yelp, you'll see mention of self check out at the Mission Valley location. There's a photo that shows the area at that location (overhead sign) but not the actual SCO's. Next time I'm in San Diego, I'll take a picture and post it.

I did find a pic of self checkouts at another San Diego location. I hope this directs to the photo correctly. https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/food-4- ... DMJngQ3Lrg
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:16 pm
Bagels wrote: April 15th, 2022, 10:16 pm

It did have a security guard stationed out front, and recently Woke Kroger stopped locking up most items previously under key, and added a second security guard to patrol the store. I wouldn’t be surprised if high theft + the added security sealed this store’s fate.
Have the quit locking up liquor too? Lots of locked up liquor in the FoodsCo units. If areas are not staffed properly, this set up of locking stuff up doesn't work out. In the case of Kroger I never heard about any problems with people being unable to access locked up products (just some folks got offended about what was being locked up), but I am sure we will start hearing problems with people not finding what they needed because the stuff all got stolen and was not promptly replenished.
Heck no. Speaking of the Temecula location, they lock up all their liquor (with the exception of some advertised items). The worst part is you have to tell your cashier what you need and she has to leave her station to get it. I have gone with the cashier to point out what I want more than once. Horrible way to do it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:44 pm I don't know the history of the store. Long Beach is a strange city as you have lower income neighborhoods right up against higher income neighborhoods. A real patchwork. I believe there is only one entrance/exit area, though. There is just one row of self checkouts (3, I think). It's right up against a regular checkstand.
Looks like the liquor license went to Alpha Beta in 1982-2001, DBA Ralphs 252, then another license to that same address 2001-2004 Ralphs 605, then from 2004-present it is Food 4 Less 762.

I suspect this was an 80's Alpha Beta then expanded (in the front) into a big Ralphs but that didn't work in that neighborhood so it converted to Food 4 Less.

The process of the cashier leaving the register to get liquor from the locked case is consistent with how it works at FoodsCo too.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:00 pm
CalItalian wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:44 pm I don't know the history of the store. Long Beach is a strange city as you have lower income neighborhoods right up against higher income neighborhoods. A real patchwork. I believe there is only one entrance/exit area, though. There is just one row of self checkouts (3, I think). It's right up against a regular checkstand.
Looks like the liquor license went to Alpha Beta in 1982-2001, DBA Ralphs 252, then another license to that same address 2001-2004 Ralphs 605, then from 2004-present it is Food 4 Less 762.

I suspect this was an 80's Alpha Beta then expanded (in the front) into a big Ralphs but that didn't work in that neighborhood so it converted to Food 4 Less.

The process of the cashier leaving the register to get liquor from the locked case is consistent with how it works at FoodsCo too.
The Long Beach Anaheim St. Store is next to my childhood home. It was a The Boys market, very small with only 7 aisles plus perimeter and then became Alpha-Beta. In the merger it converted to Ralphs with zero remodel other than a new sign. Store was always too crowded and busy with lines up the aisles but the city wanted more parking before they would approve an expansion. Finally Ralphs worked out a deal and took space next door plus the city compromised in required spaces after the community, including myself and my grandmother who was on the planning commission, supported Ralphs in their effort to expand and leave full service in this center. We were always afraid they would leave and a F4L type operation would go in but they promised to operate a full service store... They tore it down and built the current 55K Sq Ft building over about a 6 month period in a 24/7 construction rush job. The store was highly successful from day one after the remodel. But in the mid 2000's several odd decisions were made at Ralphs/F4L in the Long Beach area. They remodeled the older and smaller one of the two stores that faced each other on PCH between 2nd and 7th into a Fresh Fare (then converted the other store to Fresh Fare a couple of years later and then closed the first). At the same time they suddenly announced the store closing of the nearly brand new Anaheim Street store. They closed the doors, did a quick interior repaint and sign install, and reopened as Food4Less in just a few weeks. I would tell you this was not at all because it didn't work out for Ralphs. In fact another tiny Alpha Beta conversion about the same time 8 blocks south was rebuilt and expanded although it was not as large. I believe that Ralphs/F4L simply made the decision that they completely dominate the neighborhood (which is half upscale Belmont Heights and half lower income folks who don't have cars so they depend on this store) so they can slash labor with the F4L format. They figured they already own the local lower income crowd so why give them full service - and for the upscale customer with a car the first store in three different directions is another Ralphs.

Let me make it very clear - they did not fail as Ralphs, they did not cut prices one cent when converting to F4L, they hardly changed the assortment at conversion, they only did this to take advantage of this working class neighborhood. It was rather obvious that the sales declined under the F4L branding and the store is not nearly as busy anymore. They effectively segregated the stores in the area with this decision. Shrink clearly started going up and higher end SKUs were removed plus the west entrance was converted to a fire exit only. Meanwhile the two Ralphs nearby that are smaller and have limited parking are now packed beyond capacity. Ralphs should have left this alone and enjoyed the fact they have a stranglehold on East Long Beach. The neighbors supported them and now in hindsight I wish we would have let them close so a committed operator like Vallarta or Northgate could have built a full size, full service store here instead.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:44 pm The store was highly successful from day one after the remodel. But in the mid 2000's several odd decisions were made at Ralphs/F4L in the Long Beach area. They remodeled the older and smaller one of the two stores that faced each other on PCH between 2nd and 7th into a Fresh Fare (then converted the other store to Fresh Fare a couple of years later and then closed the first). At the same time they suddenly announced the store closing of the nearly brand new Anaheim Street store. They closed the doors, did a quick interior repaint and sign install, and reopened as Food4Less in just a few weeks. I believe that Ralphs/F4L simply made the decision that they completely dominate the neighborhood (which is half upscale Belmont Heights and half lower income folks who don't have cars so they depend on this store) so they can slash labor with the F4L format. They figured they already own the local lower income crowd so why give them full service - and for the upscale customer with a car the first store in three different directions is another Ralphs.

Let me make it very clear - they did not fail as Ralphs, they did not cut prices one cent when converting to F4L, they hardly changed the assortment at conversion, they only did this to take advantage of this working class neighborhood. It was rather obvious that the sales declined under the F4L branding and the store is not nearly as busy anymore. Ralphs should have left this alone and enjoyed the fact they have a stranglehold on East Long Beach. The neighbors supported them and now in hindsight I wish we would have let them close so a committed operator like Vallarta or Northgate could have built a full size, full service store here instead.
In that time period more than several odd decisions were made at Ralphs, and it was in a lot more areas than Long Beach.......

But I am surprised to see they did this to what was basically a brand new Ralphs solidly performing in a core market. Was this store flagged as a Ralphs Marketplace too? Did F4L have any other stores nearby? They must have wanted a F4L in the area and you have to wonder if that was their intention the entire time. Though construction of a F4L is quite different from construction of a Ralphs, so to build a Ralphs then convert to a F4L is quite a show to put on. Was the Ralphs nicely finished inside (it looked like they had pulled up a tile floor)? How long did the new building operate as a Ralphs? Was it even a couple years?

This explains why this store seemed to have actual service departments and felt like a conventional store. Also in converting to F4L they would be able to swap in the F4L union contract (so lower wages).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:44 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:00 pm

The Long Beach Anaheim St. Store is next to my childhood home. It was a The Boys market, very small with only 7 aisles plus perimeter and then became Alpha-Beta. In the merger it converted to Ralphs with zero remodel other than a new sign. Store was always too crowded and busy with lines up the aisles but the city wanted more parking before they would approve an expansion. Finally Ralphs worked out a deal and took space next door plus the city compromised in required spaces after the community, including myself and my grandmother who was on the planning commission, supported Ralphs in their effort to expand and leave full service in this center. We were always afraid they would leave and a F4L type operation would go in but they promised to operate a full service store... They tore it down and built the current 55K Sq Ft building over about a 6 month period in a 24/7 construction rush job. The store was highly successful from day one after the remodel. But in the mid 2000's several odd decisions were made at Ralphs/F4L in the Long Beach area. They remodeled the older and smaller one of the two stores that faced each other on PCH between 2nd and 7th into a Fresh Fare (then converted the other store to Fresh Fare a couple of years later and then closed the first). At the same time they suddenly announced the store closing of the nearly brand new Anaheim Street store. They closed the doors, did a quick interior repaint and sign install, and reopened as Food4Less in just a few weeks. I would tell you this was not at all because it didn't work out for Ralphs. In fact another tiny Alpha Beta conversion about the same time 8 blocks south was rebuilt and expanded although it was not as large. I believe that Ralphs/F4L simply made the decision that they completely dominate the neighborhood (which is half upscale Belmont Heights and half lower income folks who don't have cars so they depend on this store) so they can slash labor with the F4L format. They figured they already own the local lower income crowd so why give them full service - and for the upscale customer with a car the first store in three different directions is another Ralphs.

Let me make it very clear - they did not fail as Ralphs, they did not cut prices one cent when converting to F4L, they hardly changed the assortment at conversion, they only did this to take advantage of this working class neighborhood. It was rather obvious that the sales declined under the F4L branding and the store is not nearly as busy anymore. They effectively segregated the stores in the area with this decision. Shrink clearly started going up and higher end SKUs were removed plus the west entrance was converted to a fire exit only. Meanwhile the two Ralphs nearby that are smaller and have limited parking are now packed beyond capacity. Ralphs should have left this alone and enjoyed the fact they have a stranglehold on East Long Beach. The neighbors supported them and now in hindsight I wish we would have let them close so a committed operator like Vallarta or Northgate could have built a full size, full service store here instead.

They did the same thing in Mission Valley.

A Fresh Fare and 2 blocks away a F4L.

I would consider this area to be clearly upscale.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 17th, 2022, 12:54 am
ClownLoach wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:44 pm The store was highly successful from day one after the remodel. But in the mid 2000's several odd decisions were made at Ralphs/F4L in the Long Beach area. They remodeled the older and smaller one of the two stores that faced each other on PCH between 2nd and 7th into a Fresh Fare (then converted the other store to Fresh Fare a couple of years later and then closed the first). At the same time they suddenly announced the store closing of the nearly brand new Anaheim Street store. They closed the doors, did a quick interior repaint and sign install, and reopened as Food4Less in just a few weeks. I believe that Ralphs/F4L simply made the decision that they completely dominate the neighborhood (which is half upscale Belmont Heights and half lower income folks who don't have cars so they depend on this store) so they can slash labor with the F4L format. They figured they already own the local lower income crowd so why give them full service - and for the upscale customer with a car the first store in three different directions is another Ralphs.

Let me make it very clear - they did not fail as Ralphs, they did not cut prices one cent when converting to F4L, they hardly changed the assortment at conversion, they only did this to take advantage of this working class neighborhood. It was rather obvious that the sales declined under the F4L branding and the store is not nearly as busy anymore. Ralphs should have left this alone and enjoyed the fact they have a stranglehold on East Long Beach. The neighbors supported them and now in hindsight I wish we would have let them close so a committed operator like Vallarta or Northgate could have built a full size, full service store here instead.
In that time period more than several odd decisions were made at Ralphs, and it was in a lot more areas than Long Beach.......

But I am surprised to see they did this to what was basically a brand new Ralphs solidly performing in a core market. Was this store flagged as a Ralphs Marketplace too? Did F4L have any other stores nearby? They must have wanted a F4L in the area and you have to wonder if that was their intention the entire time. Though construction of a F4L is quite different from construction of a Ralphs, so to build a Ralphs then convert to a F4L is quite a show to put on. Was the Ralphs nicely finished inside (it looked like they had pulled up a tile floor)? How long did the new building operate as a Ralphs? Was it even a couple years?

This explains why this store seemed to have actual service departments and felt like a conventional store. Also in converting to F4L they would be able to swap in the F4L union contract (so lower wages).
Waking up and thinking about this - the post about liquor licenses threw off my train of thought about the timing of this and made me forget what was likely the final excuse for Ralphs making this change. There was one conventional competitor, a small Albertsons three blocks away at 7th and Redondo. This was a small old Lucky that I suspect was also an Alpha Beta in previous life.

The second Albertsons announced that closure - it was like magic - Ralphs announced the F4L conversion. That was when they knew they dominated that neighborhood and could cut back to a bare bones format.

The time lines are off a bit here though and again I was confused by the liquor license conversation. It actually closed for conversion in 2012. Also when Ralphs opened they knew that they were at risk of shrink with liquor - they had a larger than usual lock up case up front by the registers where most of the brand name hard stuff was secured.

The nearest F4L is in Signal Hill, built from ground up mid 2000's. This is similar to the Mission Valley conversation. Mission Valley is a very upscale area for the most part - but also has some large apartment complexes that are flagged for low income as well as many service jobs. So they figured they have a F4L audience locally.

The aggravating part is that they absolutely did not run any kind of price cut against the Ralphs pricing on Anaheim St. To this day my Aunt has to walk to this store because she is vision impaired and can't drive, and I am appalled by the pricing. They basically are taking advantage of the neighborhood. The store was always somewhat of an oddity in that Ralphs had clearly recognized the international nature of the neighborhood - a real melting pot including a large Cambodian population - and offered a great assortment. The store was like a bit of a mix of a regular Ralphs plus meat/seafood had somewhere between a Hispanic and Asian mix - a significantly expanded selection. Deli was normal Ralphs stuff but everyone loved the sandwiches and there was a long line most days at lunchtime. This was back when their sandwiches were similar format to Subway but with good meats cheeses and produce.

The closest full service Ralphs now is the real oddball at 4th and Orizaba about 8 blocks south. If it has more than 75 parking spaces I'd be shocked. Another old 7 aisle Alpha Beta mostly torn down and expanded, but it is probably only 35K Sq ft and jam packed with customers.

The sad part is that the Anaheim St. Location is probably the slowest store in the area now but it was rebuilt with the capacity to be the 2nd highest volume in Long Beach (again that Marina store was #1 from the day it opened around 1998). So by downscaling this location they have moved the customers who won't tolerate F4L into smaller stores that can't handle the traffic well. I wonder if they will pull the plug on it later this year and hand it off to Northgate or Vallarta.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

"The nearest F4L is in Signal Hill, built from ground up mid 2000's. This is similar to the Mission Valley conversation. Mission Valley is a very upscale area for the most part - but also has some large apartment complexes that are flagged for low income as well as many service jobs. So they figured they have a F4L audience locally."

Check out the rental prices in that area. I lived at The Promenade at Rio Vista.

Expensive!!!!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 17th, 2022, 8:52 am

This was a small old Lucky that I suspect was also an Alpha Beta in previous life.

The second Albertsons announced that closure - it was like magic - Ralphs announced the F4L conversion. That was when they knew they dominated that neighborhood and could cut back to a bare bones format.

The aggravating part is that they absolutely did not run any kind of price cut against the Ralphs pricing on Anaheim St. To this day my Aunt has to walk to this store because she is vision impaired and can't drive, and I am appalled by the pricing. They basically are taking advantage of the neighborhood. The store was always somewhat of an oddity in that Ralphs had clearly recognized the international nature of the neighborhood - a real melting pot including a large Cambodian population - and offered a great assortment. The store was like a bit of a mix of a regular Ralphs plus meat/seafood had somewhere between a Hispanic and Asian mix - a significantly expanded selection. Deli was normal Ralphs stuff but everyone loved the sandwiches and there was a long line most days at lunchtime. This was back when their sandwiches were similar format to Subway but with good meats cheeses and produce.

The closest full service Ralphs now is the real oddball at 4th and Orizaba about 8 blocks south. If it has more than 75 parking spaces I'd be shocked. Another old 7 aisle Alpha Beta mostly torn down and expanded, but it is probably only 35K Sq ft and jam packed with customers.
Yes, that Albertsons was an old Alpha Beta (and Lucky) as well. Not sure how Lucky ended up with it though. But that was not a great store (those old Alpha Betas were quite lousy). It looked healthy for what it was when I was there but obviously wasn't healthy. Closed with Lucky interior in 2012.
Photo591.jpg
Photo592.jpg
So it is ironic Ralphs felt a beat down undersized old Lucky was such competition for them that they needed to have a large modern 55k square foot store as Ralphs, but the second that Albertsons went away, then they decided it was perfectly fine to downgrade the place to a F4L.

Almost seems like they would want to consider converting the F4L back to Ralphs, but I highly doubt that would happen. Do they own or lease the real estate?

Ralphs has some very diversely merchandised stores up in San Gabriel Valley Area as well so they definitely have the ability to do it. If they want to.