California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Food 4 Less Norwalk-Imperial Highway- closed 3/26/22

Post by storewanderer »

Big looking store there.
klkla

Re: Food 4 Less Norwalk-Imperial Highway- closed 3/26/22

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: April 14th, 2022, 6:51 pm Big looking store there.
It's an old Zody's (which were in the 70K-100K size range. They were called The Giant when Ralphs bought them and then eventually changed to Food4Less. I'm not sure if any of them ever used the Ralphs banner.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote: April 14th, 2022, 7:25 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 14th, 2022, 6:51 pm Big looking store there.
It's an old Zody's (which were in the 70K-100K size range. They were called The Giant when Ralphs bought them and then eventually changed to Food4Less. I'm not sure if any of them ever used the Ralphs banner.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Redondo Beach Ralphs is a former Zody's.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Didnt even realize it closed. I work off the 605/105 and that store was the last I would think of for anything. Im sure being near Costco didnt help it.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Wow. The adjacent Costco gas station usually has the lowest prices in all of the Los Angeles-area, so I’ve stopped there an infinite number of times when I’m visiting a client nearby. Often, I’d make a run into the F4L. There’s multiple tenants in the building, and I was under the impression the store was smaller than most F4L (it lacked a service meat counter, for example). Whenever I was in the store, it has a fair amount of business. However, it was always short staffed and checkout was painfully long so I stopped going there.

It did have a security guard stationed out front, and recently Woke Kroger stopped locking up most items previously under key, and added a second security guard to patrol the store. I wouldn’t be surprised if high theft + the added security sealed this store’s fate.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Do any F4L Stores have self checkout?

Why is Kroger so slow to roll self checkout out in that format? Other discount formats (WinCo...) use it. Food Maxx uses it very heavily, I think has it in every location at this point.

The FoodsCos have this same problem with lines. It is not unusual to see lines 10-15 people long. People who are used to other Kroger operations who visit FoodsCo are pretty shocked with the messy store conditions observed at FoodsCo (looks okay in the morning... customers are very hard on the store and the stores are trashed by mid afternoon) and line length being acceptable like that.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 12:57 am Do any F4L Stores have self checkout?

Why is Kroger so slow to roll self checkout out in that format? Other discount formats (WinCo...) use it. Food Maxx uses it very heavily, I think has it in every location at this point.

The FoodsCos have this same problem with lines. It is not unusual to see lines 10-15 people long. People who are used to other Kroger operations who visit FoodsCo are pretty shocked with the messy store conditions observed at FoodsCo (looks okay in the morning... customers are very hard on the store and the stores are trashed by mid afternoon) and line length being acceptable like that.
Food 4 Less Long Beach Anaheim St. has had self checkout for at least 10 years.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:14 am
storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 12:57 am Do any F4L Stores have self checkout?

Not sure that self checkout is still there. I was in that store a few weeks ago. I could have missed it (I didn't buy anything).

It does seem like a conventional store in there anyway.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:27 am

Not sure that self checkout is still there. I was in that store a few weeks ago. I could have missed it (I didn't buy anything).

It's on the far left side of the checkstands. Mission Valley (San Diego) also has them. I don't understand what you mean by conventional store?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:02 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:27 am

It's on the far left side of the checkstands. Mission Valley (San Diego) also has them. I don't understand what you mean by conventional store?
The store was laid out like a Ralphs, not like a Food 4 Less. Produce on opposite side of the store from bakery/deli. I entered/exited on produce side. Did not notice the self checkouts which it sounds like would have been over on the bakery/deli side. The store wasn't busy at all when I went in (early afternoon); had a few registers open and no lines. Must get a lot busier afternoon/evening.

Is it a converted Ralphs?