QFC in Seattle implementing more security

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

QFC in Seattle implementing more security

Post by SamSpade »

Just think, a few years ago, this store was open "24 hours a day, 7 days a week."
QFC is suddenly putting its most sought after merchandise behind lock and key. With new security systems on the Broadway Market store’s freezers, frozen goods including ice cream and sweets now require a employee to access much like the locked-down liquor aisles at area groceries.

The company says another recent security change on north Broadway was a mistake blaming “new store leader” for the daytime deployment of security rollups added to cover the grocery’s glass windows. “He wasn’t aware of the protocol,” a spokesperson tells CHS adding that the “shutters were installed at a couple Seattle locations to be used during closed store hours.”

Hat tip to locally-focused website (would've been a newspaper in the "good ol' days") Capitol Hill Seattle.
https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2022 ... es-coming/
storewanderer

Re: QFC in Seattle implementing more security

Post by storewanderer »

Cannot believe someone would think it was a good idea or prescribed by the corporate office to have the garage doors down all day. How miserable that must have been for the employees too. I would actually call that a safety issues with customers inside. The windows make it so the store is open and visible. The garage doors being down make it look closed and someone could go in there and cause trouble and people passing by would have no clue.

The fact that someone actually implemented that policy and didn't push back to the corporate office immediately when they got the impression they needed to do this, tells you the people running these stores have been trained by the corporate office to be robots and do whatever they are told without question even when it is something like that that makes absolutely no sense and there is no reason for.

Also that QFC is supposedly an upscale store. Given how some of these stores have become maybe they need to convert some to Food 4 Less.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

"Beezus and Ramona!" It got worse.
QFC welcoming Capitol Hill shoppers with new plexiglass grocery maze: Its latest Broadway retail innovation
These stores must really make Kroger some big money or the leases are super iron-clad or something. I mean, this is a very dense neighborhood, but this is just a mess.

Clearly this is to make you walk past a point of sale to exit (in the old days that was the way shoplifiting could be prosecuted, if I recall correctly)?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: June 24th, 2022, 4:33 pm "Beezus and Ramona!" It got worse.
QFC welcoming Capitol Hill shoppers with new plexiglass grocery maze: Its latest Broadway retail innovation
These stores must really make Kroger some big money or the leases are super iron-clad or something. I mean, this is a very dense neighborhood, but this is just a mess.

Clearly this is to make you walk past a point of sale to exit (in the old days that was the way shoplifiting could be prosecuted, if I recall correctly)?
This is the latest loss prevention tactic. The idea is to make it harder for thieves to run out of the store to potentially deter them from stealing.

This tactic is also being used/considered in some high theft/large city locations of various other red logo retailers including mass merchandise with red logo and drugstores with red logo.

Whoever came up with this idea... all I can say is, I hope there are no fires or other incidents in the stores there this gets deployed... that would make it so people need to get out all at once quickly...

I do not see this tactic working.

One of the first things, most basic things, you can do with retail loss prevention is to get merchandise away from the doors......... or you pile low value stuff by the doors like cases of water.... those produce and floral displays need to be moved.... this QFC I see a display of what looks like apple chips or something in this barricaded entryway in one of the photos. Why is it there? Just get rid of it.

Safeway sort of kind of tried this sort of thing in San Francisco but keeps the entryway/area around the exit quite open. They barricaded off much further from the exit, closer to the sales floor.

If QFC really wants to do this, they need to rearrange the store and create more space around the exit/entrance so traffic can at least flow in/out the door easily.

Walgreens also has an interesting way they can do this. With their typical freestanding store, they will basically barricade cosmetics then simply force traffic flow to walk in and take a hard turn toward photo (can't walk directly through cosmetics) then traffic is "set free" to go down the seasonal aisle or over to food.