Safeway-Sacramento-Crocker Village

California. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Safeway-Sacramento-Crocker Village

Post by HCal »

I learned the hard way that Vons gas stations cannot pre-authorize gift cards if you pay inside the kiosk. They drain the entire card (or whatever amount you ask for) and if you don't use it all, you have to go back inside and get a new card with the balance.

Only lost a few dollars, but still left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know if they have fixed this. I now pay at the pump.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Both of my nearest Safeway locations have filling stations:the early-2000's Dewey location (replaced a bel Air)has it's gas station on the site if a former Texaco turned Exxon).The 1999-era manzanita location(redevelopment of a 1963-era Safeway-Super S twin with the current 1999-build Rite Aid replacing the Super S turned Pay-n-Save turned Payless) didn't get its gas station until a few years after the store opened.The 2000-era Arden location has been slated to get gas pumps for years,but as of October 2020 has yet to receive them.Sunrise/cirby despite having an undersized store also has them.There might be other locations with onsite gas pumps that I don't remember off hand.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:46 am I learned the hard way that Vons gas stations cannot pre-authorize gift cards if you pay inside the kiosk. They drain the entire card (or whatever amount you ask for) and if you don't use it all, you have to go back inside and get a new card with the balance.

Only lost a few dollars, but still left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know if they have fixed this. I now pay at the pump.
This goes for any prepayment inside the Safeway gas station (including credit or debit as well). If you don't use all of it, you have to go back to the cashier and present the card used (or ask for cash with debit) for a refund. Otherwise you will lose the money.

I too learned this the hard way... many years ago. The issue was taken care of a week or two after it happened. The fuel station in Reno is considered a separate "store" and has a separate "store manager" who was able to research the issue on the spot for me and provide a refund for the refund I didn't go inside and claim after I had fueled. They actually had a log/notepad where the cashier on shift had recorded when I hadn't come back in for the refund, and I still had the original prepay receipt when I went back. At the time I was also offered the option "next time" of leaving the card inside then they would charge it after fueling was complete (not sure if they still offer that option, I wouldn't offer it).

Although basically every other gas station I have dealt with in the past 20 years will pre-authorize a card and then either only charge the amount fueled or automatically (as in, the customer doesn't have to go back inside and present the card again) refund the card used, for whatever reason, Safeway's system does not do that. But Safeway was the first gas pump in the US that I got to use where the gas pump processed Chip cards, so there is that.
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:50 am Both of my nearest Safeway locations have filling stations:the early-2000's Dewey location (replaced a bel Air)has it's gas station on the site if a former Texaco turned Exxon).The 1999-era manzanita location(redevelopment of a 1963-era Safeway-Super S twin with the current 1999-build Rite Aid replacing the Super S turned Pay-n-Save turned Payless) didn't get its gas station until a few years after the store opened.The 2000-era Arden location has been slated to get gas pumps for years,but as of October 2020 has yet to receive them.Sunrise/cirby despite having an undersized store also has them.There might be other locations with onsite gas pumps that I don't remember off hand.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I think they are finally building something in the Arden parking lot(a Chipotle?)