Stop & Shop closures

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Re: Stop & Shop closures

Post by marketreportblog »

storewanderer wrote: March 8th, 2024, 12:26 am It looks like a significant amount of the meat is case ready?
Yep, Stop & Shop doesn't cut meat in-store anymore and mostly the service windows have been closed or removed. In some of the new remodels, they have added in service meat counters, although I'm not positive you can have anything done there other than getting something in the case wrapped up.
storewanderer wrote: March 8th, 2024, 12:26 am The other thing that confuses me about the random nature of the out of stocks is I assume items like drug/non food probably come from a warehouse shared with one of the Giant chains. So if those stores are fully stocking those departments, why aren't these stores?
Stop & Shop, I believe, is supplied by its own warehouses in Connecticut along with C&S. That article mentions some issues with the warehouses, but it sounds like there are multiple warehouses across multiple categories, and so I'm betting that the out-of-stock issues (coupled with what employees have posted online) originate in the stores and/or with corporate direction, not the warehouses.
storewanderer wrote: March 8th, 2024, 12:26 am The lack of music seems to be a management problem at the store level but why is it like that in almost every store? Ads play on that music that the stores get paid money to run so it needs to be turned on. I don't know who the District Manager for these stores is but whoever they are, they really need to get down to basics about how their stores look and make some quick adjustments. These stores don't look like they have any leadership or direction at any level.

Seeing this also makes me seriously pause at the concept of Ahold merging with Albertsons at this point. This is like Supervalu Albertsons at its worst moment, but with less inventory.
That sounds right about the music and about the management. And for your final point, it seems like (as far as I can tell, between looking at pictures and what others have said on this thread) these problems truly are only affecting Stop & Shop. Still, if Ahold Delhaize will let one division look like this, it might speak to their overall standards.
veteran+ wrote: March 8th, 2024, 8:32 am BTW...............................EXCELLENT reporting and observations.

Thank you! :)
Hey, thanks!
BillyGr wrote: March 8th, 2024, 12:59 pm I'm pretty sure that same group (SAS) has been the ones in Hannaford stores as well. Both doing inventory at times, but also when they are working to reset a section (you'll often see a particular category with many items marked down, then they come in at some point, remove anything still around and put that in the markdown table and then reset the section with new items that are taking the place of things discontinued).
They just did that in the local Hannaford stores in HABA within the last couple weeks.

Can't say I noticed anything in that Hyde Park store when I was down that way probably 2 months ago, but then again I was paying more attention to things that weren't cold (which seems to be all the stuff you noted there, dairy, frozen and produce), so that may be why.
That would make sense, thanks. Although it didn't seem that they were exactly resetting anything, as there wasn't any new stock going in as far as I could tell, and they weren't removing any stock. Hyde Park was definitely not in the worse shape that I saw yesterday, but there were noticeable gaps in a few departments. Otherwise seems to be a pretty well-run store, though.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Not a huge deal, but it sounds like a Stop & Shop in Trumbull, CT is being run poorly enough to have a Change.org petition. Sounds like this store hasn’t been remodeled in the current wave yet. To me, this is a small thing but indicative of the potential for Stop & Shops low standards for store conditions to hurt their business.

Edit to add: looks like Giant (PA) is also moving away from the in-house delivery service and towards more Instacart: https://www.abc27.com/local-news/giant- ... locations/
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

I went to four more Stop & Shops in Central Jersey today. Maybe it was just a particularly bad day for a particularly bad four stores, but I really feel like we're almost counting down the days here. Once again, all the stores were devoid of any and all customers.

Started at Inman Avenue in Edison, a former Grand Union. Looks pretty nice, and was generally in the best shape of any of the stores I saw today, but the first warning sign was rows of empty flower/plant shelving outside. Normal enough, we're in between seasons, so on and so forth, okay. But then you get inside and you have empty produce shelves, empty meat shelves, empty egg shelves, and a completely empty meat counter.

Then it was on to Piscataway, where I've been before (and it still actually has the Edwards decor inside). Empty shelves all over the place again. And there are things that continue to be a problem I've seen before (toothpaste, deodorant, organic vegetables) plus new things like grapes and dish soap.

Up next was the Easton Avenue store in Somerset. This store was an absolute mess. I went to the Fairfield Avenue Stop & Shop in Bridgeport, CT about a month and a half before it closed for good, and that was in better shape than this one. It's an enormous, 75,000 square foot former Super Stop & Shop, and there's an even bigger abandoned Kmart next to it. It still has the "Taste & Time" decor and maintenance is terrible -- check out how dingy it is because of the number of burnt-out lights. The store is way too big, with big holes in grocery (including things like chicken broth, which seems to be a problem at all the S&S stores), a salad bar filled with Gatorade, empty meat cases, minimal bottled water, and an absolute mess of a HABA/baby department (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6). The natural food department seems to be long gone (although I believe aisle 1 now has some natural foods). I have to imagine this store is reaching the end of its life.

Kendall Park also has Taste & Time, and is even bigger at over 80,000 square feet. It seems to do alright but has all the same problems, especially in HABA, and the massive salad bar/olive bar/prepared foods bar, which runs around multiple sides of an island in the grand aisle, is stocked with grab-and-go cold cuts and other random deli items.

Most interesting thing? I was eavesdropping at Easton Avenue, and I heard two people who I would assume were department managers or something like that talking about how they were both frustrated with how little product they had. One said she tried to face and organize what they did have, but "then they get mad" and someone, I assume a store manager or something, has told the department managers not to face or fill empty shelves. Reminds me of the terrible implementation of the order to shelf system at Whole Foods a few years ago. On the one hand, I wonder if something like that is going on here, but on the other, I have to think the empty shelves coupled with the empty and barely staffed stores (three registers was the most I saw open today), and the fact that so many of the stores are in bad repair, something bigger is behind this. Plus, why would a program like that only be going on at Stop & Shop and none of the other Ahold Delhaize chains? If this is simply the "new normal" for how Stop & Shop stores are run, they must have some of the lowest standards of any grocery chain in the northeast.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

marketreportblog wrote: March 15th, 2024, 5:04 pm I went to four more Stop & Shops in Central Jersey today. Maybe it was just a particularly bad day for a particularly bad four stores, but I really feel like we're almost counting down the days here. Once again, all the stores were devoid of any and all customers.

Started at Inman Avenue in Edison, a former Grand Union. Looks pretty nice, and was generally in the best shape of any of the stores I saw today, but the first warning sign was rows of empty flower/plant shelving outside. Normal enough, we're in between seasons, so on and so forth, okay. But then you get inside and you have empty produce shelves, empty meat shelves, empty egg shelves, and a completely empty meat counter.

Then it was on to Piscataway, where I've been before (and it still actually has the Edwards decor inside). Empty shelves all over the place again. And there are things that continue to be a problem I've seen before (toothpaste, deodorant, organic vegetables) plus new things like grapes and dish soap.

Up next was the Easton Avenue store in Somerset. This store was an absolute mess. I went to the Fairfield Avenue Stop & Shop in Bridgeport, CT about a month and a half before it closed for good, and that was in better shape than this one. It's an enormous, 75,000 square foot former Super Stop & Shop, and there's an even bigger abandoned Kmart next to it. It still has the "Taste & Time" decor and maintenance is terrible -- check out how dingy it is because of the number of burnt-out lights. The store is way too big, with big holes in grocery (including things like chicken broth, which seems to be a problem at all the S&S stores), a salad bar filled with Gatorade, empty meat cases, minimal bottled water, and an absolute mess of a HABA/baby department (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6). The natural food department seems to be long gone (although I believe aisle 1 now has some natural foods). I have to imagine this store is reaching the end of its life.

Kendall Park also has Taste & Time, and is even bigger at over 80,000 square feet. It seems to do alright but has all the same problems, especially in HABA, and the massive salad bar/olive bar/prepared foods bar, which runs around multiple sides of an island in the grand aisle, is stocked with grab-and-go cold cuts and other random deli items.

Most interesting thing? I was eavesdropping at Easton Avenue, and I heard two people who I would assume were department managers or something like that talking about how they were both frustrated with how little product they had. One said she tried to face and organize what they did have, but "then they get mad" and someone, I assume a store manager or something, has told the department managers not to face or fill empty shelves. Reminds me of the terrible implementation of the order to shelf system at Whole Foods a few years ago. On the one hand, I wonder if something like that is going on here, but on the other, I have to think the empty shelves coupled with the empty and barely staffed stores (three registers was the most I saw open today), and the fact that so many of the stores are in bad repair, something bigger is behind this. Plus, why would a program like that only be going on at Stop & Shop and none of the other Ahold Delhaize chains? If this is simply the "new normal" for how Stop & Shop stores are run, they must have some of the lowest standards of any grocery chain in the northeast.
I would guess that because of the semi-independent nature of the way Ahold Delhaize chains are run, something has to be rotten at Stop & Shop Supermarket Company in Quincy.

In January 2019, as you recall, they were going to scoop up King Kullen and although COVID officially killed it just a month later there was a strike at Stop & Shop. Ahold Delhaize reported that the strike cost them $345 million loss of sales over eleven days. Roughly calculated, (345000000 divided by 400 divided by 11) meant that $80k was lost by every store every day, and the $345M was far more than the $100M Ahold Delhaize predicted. In comparison, the 2003-04 grocery strike of California is reported to have lost $1500000000 among 850 stores but lasted 141 days, which means that every store was losing $12k a day in sales. Assuming the national average of sales of $500k a week, losing $12k a day is manageable, so a $500k a week store becomes $416k a week. Making $100k in sales every week is not sustainable.

We don't have any information on Stop & Shop's profits. The closest we know of is $11.17 billion from twenty years ago, but so much of the industry has changed since then. If Stop & Shop has been losing money it's been covered up by Royal Ahold/Ahold Delhaize and the cracks are showing now.

If Ahold Delhaize decides to put the screws to Stop & Shop it would be a very public movement and would show weakness. Maybe Albertsons could work with Ahold Delhaize after all. All they need to do is announce that they'd "restructure" their U.S. division to buy Albertsons. At that point, it would just be an issue of mopping up the mess: sell Giant-MD to Kroger, spin off Food Lion/Hannaford, divest a bunch of stores to the chains previously mentioned (Weis, Big Y, Northeast Grocers, Wakefern, NY food co-ops, etc.), rebrand the remaining stores to Shaw's and ACME...and I don't know about Giant-PA.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

pseudo3d wrote: March 15th, 2024, 7:57 pm
I would guess that because of the semi-independent nature of the way Ahold Delhaize chains are run, something has to be rotten at Stop & Shop Supermarket Company in Quincy.

In January 2019, as you recall, they were going to scoop up King Kullen and although COVID officially killed it just a month later there was a strike at Stop & Shop. Ahold Delhaize reported that the strike cost them $345 million loss of sales over eleven days. Roughly calculated, (345000000 divided by 400 divided by 11) meant that $80k was lost by every store every day, and the $345M was far more than the $100M Ahold Delhaize predicted. In comparison, the 2003-04 grocery strike of California is reported to have lost $1500000000 among 850 stores but lasted 141 days, which means that every store was losing $12k a day in sales. Assuming the national average of sales of $500k a week, losing $12k a day is manageable, so a $500k a week store becomes $416k a week. Making $100k in sales every week is not sustainable.

We don't have any information on Stop & Shop's profits. The closest we know of is $11.17 billion from twenty years ago, but so much of the industry has changed since then. If Stop & Shop has been losing money it's been covered up by Royal Ahold/Ahold Delhaize and the cracks are showing now.

If Ahold Delhaize decides to put the screws to Stop & Shop it would be a very public movement and would show weakness. Maybe Albertsons could work with Ahold Delhaize after all. All they need to do is announce that they'd "restructure" their U.S. division to buy Albertsons. At that point, it would just be an issue of mopping up the mess: sell Giant-MD to Kroger, spin off Food Lion/Hannaford, divest a bunch of stores to the chains previously mentioned (Weis, Big Y, Northeast Grocers, Wakefern, NY food co-ops, etc.), rebrand the remaining stores to Shaw's and ACME...and I don't know about Giant-PA.
Well said, you're right. I think your point of the companies remaining fairly independent is a very good one, too -- that problems at Stop & Shop might not necessarily suggest anything about Ahold Delhaize as a whole (which I believe to be the case, I don't have any reason to believe Ahold Delhaize is in any big trouble), but on the other side, that it would be in Ahold Delhaize's interest to minimize and essentially hide problems in that division.

I agree that a lot has changed since 2004, and that Ahold Delhaize seems to be particularly opaque when it comes to discussing Stop & Shop. But we know that at least in the last two years (2022 and 2023), Stop & Shop has been reported as a problem child. The question, of course, is how big that problem is.

I'm betting that if Ahold Delhaize and Albertsons combine in any way, it's Shaw's that's going (NH/VT/ME) and not Hannaford. Shaw's and Star Market are solid in Boston and most of the suburbs, but to the north, Hannaford beats them easily with more, larger, and newer stores that seem to be higher traffic. I highly doubt a merged Albertsons-Ahold Delhaize would want to part with Hannaford. And I also believe there are enough places that they don't overlap (especially in small towns) that there probably wouldn't even need to be that many sold.

Is a more likely scenario that Albertsons simply purchases Stop & Shop from Ahold Delhaize, rather than the two companies combining altogether? You'd have very few divestitures necessary with ACME (the only serious overlap is actually in the Hudson Valley of NY and parts of southwestern CT, and who cares about ACME there), and I would bet you could divest the Shaw's overlaps easily enough. But then, we come back to the big question: is Stop & Shop even for sale? All I know is the way the stores are being run right now isn't sustainable. I keep thinking, am I overreacting? Then I go into a store and see empty shelves everywhere, burnt-out lights everywhere, and as many shoppers as I can count on my fingers in an 80,000 square foot store and yeah, something's really wrong here.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

pseudo3d wrote: March 15th, 2024, 7:57 pm We don't have any information on Stop & Shop's profits. The closest we know of is $11.17 billion from twenty years ago, but so much of the industry has changed since then. If Stop & Shop has been losing money it's been covered up by Royal Ahold/Ahold Delhaize and the cracks are showing now.

I live in Giant-MD territory. Store conditions at Giant-MD are nothing like what we have seen in the pictures of the Stop and Shop stores. The Giant-MD stores that I frequent are well stocked, clean and well shopped with consistent traffic. Giant-MD has also been renovating, relocating or rebuilding stores to get them to one of their modern store designs. Giant-MD has also opened a couple of new stores near me in mixed use developments. The only time I have seen stock issues is if there is a sale that ends up outstripping the initial quantities they have in stock. In almost all cases though I've been able to go back during the sale period and get the item after they have restocked. I think a big difference between Giant-MD and Stop and Shop that I see based on the pictures shared here is that Stop and Shop has a number of massive stores that they just don't know how to deal with. Prior to the Ahold buyout, Giant-MD had gotten up to the 55,000ish sq foot store size. Giant-MD seems to be staying withing the 40-50,000 sq foot range for suburban stores. That size seems to work well with the merchandising Ahold is currently using. I must say that the rebuild and new Giant-MD stores are actually pretty easy to shop despite what one might think are huge stores based on the sq foot numbers. We still have a few Food Lion stores down here. I've been shopping there for the first time in a long time because someone I know got a job there and was raving about the pricing as compared to Giant-MD. Ahold seems to be running Food Lion with more promotions along with non-sale prices that are below Giant-MD but a bit above Walmart. The Food Lion stores are well stocked and surprisingly busy.

I have always heard that Giant-PA is Ahold's US cash cow. It is conceivable that now that Ahold seems to have gotten Giant-MD back on track, the two Giants are bringing in the bulk of the profit. They could mask the lower volumes and profits at Stop and Shop with the two Giants. Perhaps now with Ahold and Delhaize together the sore spots are more obvious because resources are spread more thinly. We definitely have more competition in my area with Lidl coming in, Aldi already here, ethnic markets and Walmart. Stop and Shop is probably feeling it too and their model of a good number of huge stores just isn't working anymore. It will be interesting to see what really ends up happening with Stop and Shop be it closure, sale or Ahold doing a complete shakeup of its chains.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

mjhale wrote: March 15th, 2024, 9:35 pm I have always heard that Giant-PA is Ahold's US cash cow. It is conceivable that now that Ahold seems to have gotten Giant-MD back on track, the two Giants are bringing in the bulk of the profit. They could mask the lower volumes and profits at Stop and Shop with the two Giants. Perhaps now with Ahold and Delhaize together the sore spots are more obvious because resources are spread more thinly. We definitely have more competition in my area with Lidl coming in, Aldi already here, ethnic markets and Walmart. Stop and Shop is probably feeling it too and their model of a good number of huge stores just isn't working anymore. It will be interesting to see what really ends up happening with Stop and Shop be it closure, sale or Ahold doing a complete shakeup of its chains.
80k square foot stores require lots of traffic if most of the space is taken up with food. I get the impression that Stop & Shop isn't known for large, busy perishable departments, nor does it have a big selection of general merchandise (GM could be great as it doesn't need turnover and has higher margins).

If Ahold Delhaize was private, then it wouldn't matter as much if Stop & Shop was dismantled. Because it's a public company they would need to sort that out in PR to avoid spooking investors. (even if it's "Stop & Shop was losing money, so profits are up this year" :mrgreen: )
marketreportblog wrote: March 15th, 2024, 9:09 pm Is a more likely scenario that Albertsons simply purchases Stop & Shop from Ahold Delhaize, rather than the two companies combining altogether? You'd have very few divestitures necessary with ACME (the only serious overlap is actually in the Hudson Valley of NY and parts of southwestern CT, and who cares about ACME there), and I would bet you could divest the Shaw's overlaps easily enough. But then, we come back to the big question: is Stop & Shop even for sale? All I know is the way the stores are being run right now isn't sustainable. I keep thinking, am I overreacting? Then I go into a store and see empty shelves everywhere, burnt-out lights everywhere, and as many shoppers as I can count on my fingers in an 80,000 square foot store and yeah, something's really wrong here.
If Stop & Shop is unprofitable as a whole, then Albertsons would be doing themselves a disservice, unless it was some sort of proxy for Apollo. The unions also probably know what's going on and certainly stand in the way of dissolving or selling off Stop & Shop, even if the entire company was on the ropes. Most of the stores right now, however, if in the hands of new owners (anybody, really), could bounce back with a reset that fixes broken lights, restocking, and a good cleaning.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

All kinds of moves happening around with Ahold, I'd thought I throw this out there as well...Giant (PA) is ending its Giant Direct delivery service in the Camp Hill, PA area with delivery now being outsourced to Instacart.

Note that the Camp HIll store, which it appears the operations were based out of, is/was a 'Super Giant' concept store that was significantly larger and offered many more amenities than a traditional Giant when it first opened (they had a similar second store in Willow Grove, PA). I'm pretty sure most of those extra features in both these locations have long been discontinued.

https://www.abc27.com/local-news/giant- ... locations/

Is this just a 'one off' due to lack of business in that particular area, or will we see them slowly end their own delivery in other areas?
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

mbz321 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 5:57 pm

Is this just a 'one off' due to lack of business in that particular area, or will we see them slowly end their own delivery in other areas?
Good question. I don't know that there's much evidence that Ahold Dehlaize is making any major moves (or struggling), but it does look like they're eliminating their own delivery services. Are there any divisions left with it intact? Giant-MD?

Anyway, I just posted on my own blog some of the pictures I've put on here. Nothing I haven't said on here necessarily, but feel free to check it out (and my previous post).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

mbz321 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 5:57 pm All kinds of moves happening around with Ahold, I'd thought I throw this out there as well...Giant (PA) is ending its Giant Direct delivery service in the Camp Hill, PA area with delivery now being outsourced to Instacart.

Note that the Camp HIll store, which it appears the operations were based out of, is/was a 'Super Giant' concept store that was significantly larger and offered many more amenities than a traditional Giant when it first opened (they had a similar second store in Willow Grove, PA). I'm pretty sure most of those extra features in both these locations have long been discontinued.

They killed off Peapod's delivery services a few years ago but it still functions as Peapod Digital Labs...who knows how long Ahold Delhaize will keep that around for, though.