United Supermarkets reopening Wichita Falls Albertsons

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

United Supermarkets reopening Wichita Falls Albertsons

Post by pseudo3d »

In many ways a bit of a repeat to what happened to Haggen several years ago, United Supermarkets is reopening a store that was forced to be divested when they merged with Albertsons. The Albertsons in Wichita Falls was one of the older Albertsons stores in the state, opening as a Skaggs Albertsons in 1976 and converting to Albertsons in the late 1970s when the brand was discontinued. In January 2014 the store was closed as part of the divestiture deal and reopened as Cash Saver, which closed in 2019.

(News article, archived)

United at least seems to be opening stores at a semi-reasonable pace for a division, opening Pecos in 2020 and a new store in Lubbock in 2021. I wish South would get the message and at least start at least defending the stores back in Austin and Houston. Since the merger, Austin has opened a few stores but still lost a net of one store, Houston is looking pretty meager these days, and even Louisiana has lost both the 2011 Denham Springs store and the nice Mandeville store, which was effectively evicted for a Whole Foods Market and never replaced.
storewanderer

Re: United Supermarkets reopening Wichita Falls Albertsons

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder why they do not reopen it as an Albertsons?

That store wasn't in great condition as Albertsons. I can imagine it did not get any better as a cost plus store.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 1:17 am I wonder why they do not reopen it as an Albertsons?

That store wasn't in great condition as Albertsons. I can imagine it did not get any better as a cost plus store.
I think when the store was divested, United had several stores in the area (including the first Market Street store) and Albertsons just had one, so it made sense to leave the market. The stores in Midland-Odessa were initially kept as well but they soon effectively ceded them to United, which a few years ago completed their transition by making them full United Supermarkets.

Given that it won't be set up until 2023, I'm guessing United will give the store the TLC it needs to reopen as a full supermarket again and will look very little like the Cash Saver when it closed.

As much as I'd like them to expand to new markets in the South territory, I'd like to see them improve in the markets they already have.
Mgomrjsurf
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by Mgomrjsurf »

Come back to KS/MO.