Acorn does a price check: NY, Chicago, LA suburbs

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Acorn does a price check: NY, Chicago, LA suburbs

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder how Trader Joes would do with that price list.

Assuming they had all of the items...

I think Kroger is pricing more and more off of Target. Not sure what QFC is doing being so much more expensive than Albertsons, that is really off.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Trader Joe's data now available.
That "one pound" cheese and bacon seem to be where most local grocers vary widely. The other thing that "hurt" Trader Joe's was that they only sell the smaller sugar bags so one has to buy two smaller bags to equal the four pound size we were pricing.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: May 9th, 2022, 11:56 pm I wonder how Trader Joes would do with that price list.

I think Kroger is pricing more and more off of Target. Not sure what QFC is doing being so much more expensive than Albertsons, that is really off.
I saw another chart that a Northwest blogger and a Houstonite collaborated on (I might share it if I get permission or if I find it) that shows that in Seattle, Safeway beat QFC (but not Fred Meyer, which priced lower than both) on every single item.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

pseudo3d wrote: May 27th, 2022, 11:02 am I saw another chart that a Northwest blogger and a Houstonite collaborated on (I might share it if I get permission or if I find it) that shows that in Seattle, Safeway beat QFC (but not Fred Meyer, which priced lower than both) on every single item.
Cool. Hope you get the OK.
Data now includes regional mid-upper scale grocer Market of Choice and a Grocery Outlet location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: May 27th, 2022, 11:02 am
storewanderer wrote: May 9th, 2022, 11:56 pm I wonder how Trader Joes would do with that price list.

I saw another chart that a Northwest blogger and a Houstonite collaborated on (I might share it if I get permission or if I find it) that shows that in Seattle, Safeway beat QFC (but not Fred Meyer, which priced lower than both) on every single item.
QFC seems to be far and away the worst priced Kroger division. Ralphs and QFC used to have similar pricing but something has happened at Ralphs and Ralphs pricing seems to be much more competitive than it used to be.

QFC's "quality" (I use that term lightly) does not in any way justify its pricing. I think their fresh department quality at present is worse than Fred Meyer. There was a time when QFC had superior perishables and fresh departments but Kroger has completely ruined it.