Buffalo Wild Wings

Alpha8472

Buffalo Wild Wings

Post by Alpha8472 »

I drove to a local Buffalo Wild Wings only to find it permanently closed. It was very sudden. The entire restaurant was empty and a sign said it was for lease.

This place was doing decent business not too long ago. What happened? The reviews on Google look pretty bad. This company seems like they are going downhill.

Severe understaffing, long waits of over an hour, no employees to take your order, etc. Are these franchises or corporate owned?

This was the one near the Nob Hill Foods that recently closed in San Ramon, California. The shopping center seems really empty now that the main anchor closed.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Buffalo Wild Wings

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 1st, 2022, 2:17 pm I drove to a local Buffalo Wild Wings only to find it permanently closed. It was very sudden. The entire restaurant was empty and a sign said it was for lease.

This place was doing decent business not too long ago. What happened? The reviews on Google look pretty bad. This company seems like they are going downhill.

Severe understaffing, long waits of over an hour, no employees to take your order, etc. Are these franchises or corporate owned?

This was the one near the Nob Hill Foods that recently closed in San Ramon, California. The shopping center seems really empty now that the main anchor closed.
Buffalo Wild Wings is a larger scale franchising problem - the majority of the company owned restaurants were sold to franchisees. Looks like it is having the same result, when the money is the same but there are now more mouths to feed (franchise owner) things don't go well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 7:08 pm

Buffalo Wild Wings is a larger scale franchising problem - the majority of the company owned restaurants were sold to franchisees. Looks like it is having the same result, when the money is the same but there are now more mouths to feed (franchise owner) things don't go well.
The Reno BWW (in a center where the only restaurants who can survive long term are Starbucks and BJ's) was a franchise for many years then went corporate. It was only open for about a year as a corporate site before it just closed suddenly.

The franchise was pretty bad (didn't accept gift cards and had weird rules on promotions). It was better for the brief period it was corporate.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

The location in Torrance at Del Amo mall requires a card before ordering and automatic 15% tip on "game nights" (which seems to be everyday).

The wait staff are dumb as rocks and came back to my table multiple times because they forgot the order. When the order did finally come, things were missing. Food is pretty good but they are extremely overpriced for what you get. That was my 2nd and last time ever going to BWW. I'll stick to Wing Stop.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

steps wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 5:24 pm The location in Torrance at Del Amo mall requires a card before ordering and automatic 15% tip on "game nights" (which seems to be everyday).

The wait staff are dumb as rocks and came back to my table multiple times because they forgot the order. When the order did finally come, things were missing. Food is pretty good but they are extremely overpriced for what you get. That was my 2nd and last time ever going to BWW. I'll stick to Wing Stop.
I suppose a card before ordering is reasonable to avoid folks from leaving without paying and to prevent unordered food from being handed out as easily. It is like a prepayment model. But how can I determine a tip amount, before I assess how the service was? Well, charge my card for the food. I guess we will figure the tip out before I leave (assuming I have cash...).

BWW and Hooters were the only two chain restaurants where I found the wait staff to be very overly friendly and supposedly they are told that type of behavior is okay (will sit at table, make contact, etc.). Last time I ate at a BWW which was out of town, I think somewhere around Seattle, I did not observe any of that. Maybe they have changed.