PetSmart Operations

Alpha8472

Re: PetSmart Operations

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are many Unleashed by Petco stores in the San Francisco Bay Area: Oakland, Alameda, San Leandro, San Jose... Many of these stores are in high theft areas. The Dublin store permanently closed. This store was in a very upper middle class area with tons of houses and condos nearby. If it could not survive in that area, then the chain is in serious trouble. The ones in Oakland or San Leandro probably are just waiting until their leases are up, and then they will close.

The San Leandro store is in a not so great area. There are flashing lights on the buildings in the shopping center drawing attention to the multiple security cameras over the front doors. The parking lots are notorious for people getting robbed just getting into and out of their cars. You do not go to this shopping center after sundown if you value your life.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:25 am
ClownLoach wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 8:26 am
That Unleashed was the last one to open in the East Long Beach area that I can think of. The first was next to the Vons and former Rite Aid in the Traffic Circle center, a solidly busy center and it closed. There is one in an old bank building at 7th and Redondo by the Smart and Final where they have closed off the street side entrance completely and as a result there are frequently multiple homeless people camped under the awning there making the store look abandoned to cars driving by. Of the 3 locations the one by the Amazon makes the most sense as it is about 2 miles in all directions from another Petco or PetSmart, but then it is next to that sleepy Amazon Fresh that can't be bringing in any business.
The Unleashed looks to have a steady stream of a customer or two.

The Amazon Fresh is somewhat busy there sometimes. It had at least 30 other customers yesterday, plus about 10 employees walking around picking orders. Not sure how many of the customers were using the $20 off $35 or whatever it is coupon (says $40 but seems to discount well below threshold). Of the Amazon Fresh units I've gone to that is the only one I liked. It still has the various issues (out of stocks/mix), but produce is great and their effort on the bakery/deli is better than the others.
My understanding from a LinkedIn post is that is the top performer in the Fresh chain. Still probably does a tiny fraction of the Stater Bros across the street which is arguably the worst location at the intersection, yet they've officially seen everyone in the area come and go now including Albertsons (twice if you count the divestiture to SB), Ralphs, Fresh and Easy, Haggen, Food4Less, and an IGA.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 12:10 pm There are many Unleashed by Petco stores in the San Francisco Bay Area: Oakland, Alameda, San Leandro, San Jose... Many of these stores are in high theft areas. The Dublin store permanently closed. This store was in a very upper middle class area with tons of houses and condos nearby. If it could not survive in that area, then the chain is in serious trouble. The ones in Oakland or San Leandro probably are just waiting until their leases are up, and then they will close.

The San Leandro store is in a not so great area. There are flashing lights on the buildings in the shopping center drawing attention to the multiple security cameras over the front doors. The parking lots are notorious for people getting robbed just getting into and out of their cars. You do not go to this shopping center after sundown if you value your life.
I've never been to San Leandro, but from what I see on these boards it sounds like a candidate for a fleet of bulldozers to be run through the entire city. I've worked late night in Compton and Inglewood and never saw any of the stuff that y'all report happens in San Leandro on an almost daily basis.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I took public transportation through South Central L.A. and found it to be much more peaceful.