Arby's Sells Burgers For The First Time Ever

Alpha8472

Arby's Sells Burgers For The First Time Ever

Post by Alpha8472 »

Arby's have never sold a burger until now. It is the "highest-quality burger the market has seen yet." The Wagyu Steakhouse Burger cost $5.99 and is a limited time offer. Wagyu means "Japanese cow," and refers to specific breeds of cattle. It is known for its rich flavor and buttery tenderness.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/23/business ... index.html
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Arby's Sells Burgers For The First Time Ever

Post by jamcool »

I assume very little “Wagyu” is in the burger.
Super S

Post by Super S »

A friend of mine tried the new Arby's burger yesterday. He said it was one of the worst burgers he ever had and that a microwaved and reheated burger from Burger King tasted better. That tells me all I need to know, I will not be trying it.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I remember at some point they tried selling a "burger" that was pretty much a roast beef sandwich with hamburger toppings on it. I don't think that lasted long at all. As for this one, I don't think their restaurants are equipped with any sort of grilling equipment so any burger they are selling would presumably be pre-cooked and reheated.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Brian Lutz wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:07 am I remember at some point they tried selling a "burger" that was pretty much a roast beef sandwich with hamburger toppings on it. I don't think that lasted long at all. As for this one, I don't think their restaurants are equipped with any sort of grilling equipment so any burger they are selling would presumably be pre-cooked and reheated.
This is how the process is explained. It is "sous-vide" cooked offsite then reheated somehow on-site (roast beef steaming tables?).

Bill Oakley, former Simpsons writer, now becoming well known fast food social media influencer, tried it in the Portland, Ore. area the other day where he lives. He was disappointed. As he said "it's OK, but I'd rather have a McDonalds double-quarter pounder or Dave's single," for the price and calories.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They are shipped frozen and then thawed. Employees deep fry them for 2 minutes and then microwave them to melt the cheese.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am thinking how a burger fried in Arby's oil must taste. Those curly fries have a unique seasoning profile and the fryer sees a lot of those...

Arby's does like to use microwaves. Their chicken strip slider takes a chicken strip (which is already in a warmer), puts it on a bun, puts a small square of cheese on it, then microwaves it to serve. I have to explicitly ask them to not microwave it (since the chicken is already hot).

Does anyone else serve a burger that is prepared in a deep fryer? Sounds pretty awful to me.

Maybe an air fryer could work...? Not saying it would be good but probably better than the oil soaked result you'd get with a deep fryer...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I finally saw a customer actually order a burger from Arby's. The burger alone at 7.99 or combo at 11.39.

I was able to see the entire preparation process. Even though only one customer ordered one burger for some reason they decided to cook 2 burgers. I feel bad for the other poor fool who ordered a burger there in the next many hours (they don't seem to throw much away until it is rock hard and they hardly have any customers).

The burger patty is in a refrigerated unit but appears to have been previously defrosted from frozen.

They take the burger then they get a fry cage that is used to fry chicken sandwich patties (has little slits to insert the patty into) and they put the burger patty into this. Then it goes over into the deep fryer (to clarify any confusion the same machine that cooks fries, chicken products, etc.). It appeared the burger was being cooked in the compartment of the fryer that is also cooking chicken sandwiches/chicken products. There is actually a button/timer on the fryer for "BUR" and the burger fries for about 1:40 in the fryer (in all of the oil, like a french fry) then it comes out. But it gets better. After it comes out they take it over to the prep bar. They then get the bun and they put some cheese on the burger. Then they put it in the MICROWAVE for maybe 15 seconds for some unknown reason, then they finish it off with vegetables and serve it.

Anyone else ever heard of deep frying (in a vat of oil) a burger before? I cannot even imagine eating this product after seeing that.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: May 27th, 2023, 9:47 am I finally saw a customer actually order a burger from Arby's. The burger alone at 7.99 or combo at 11.39.

I was able to see the entire preparation process. Even though only one customer ordered one burger for some reason they decided to cook 2 burgers. I feel bad for the other poor fool who ordered a burger there in the next many hours (they don't seem to throw much away until it is rock hard and they hardly have any customers).

The burger patty is in a refrigerated unit but appears to have been previously defrosted from frozen.

They take the burger then they get a fry cage that is used to fry chicken sandwich patties (has little slits to insert the patty into) and they put the burger patty into this. Then it goes over into the deep fryer (to clarify any confusion the same machine that cooks fries, chicken products, etc.). It appeared the burger was being cooked in the compartment of the fryer that is also cooking chicken sandwiches/chicken products. There is actually a button/timer on the fryer for "BUR" and the burger fries for about 1:40 in the fryer (in all of the oil, like a french fry) then it comes out. But it gets better. After it comes out they take it over to the prep bar. They then get the bun and they put some cheese on the burger. Then they put it in the MICROWAVE for maybe 15 seconds for some unknown reason, then they finish it off with vegetables and serve it.

Anyone else ever heard of deep frying (in a vat of oil) a burger before? I cannot even imagine eating this product after seeing that.
Arby's really needs to stick to roast beef... you don't see Rax or Lion's Choice doing stuff like this.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Reviews of the burger seem to be decent. It is not to the level of a gourmet fancy restaurant, but people generally like it. It would be nice if Arby's would spend money to actually cook it like real burger restaurants do. Frying a burger in the same oil as their other food is not appetizing to many people.