Circle K Camera Based Self Checkout

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Alpha8472

Circle K Camera Based Self Checkout

Post by Alpha8472 »

Circle K is rolling out camera based self checkout machines to 7,000 of their stores in the next few years. You put the items on the counter of the machine and cameras will ring up everything without scanning a barcode.

Circle K tried the just walk out technology at a couple of stores, but that went no further.
storewanderer

Re: Circle K Camera Based Self Checkout

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 5:03 pm Circle K is rolling out camera based self checkout machines to 7,000 of their stores in the next few years. You put the items on the counter of the machine and cameras will ring up everything without scanning a barcode.

Circle K tried the just walk out technology at a couple of stores, but that went no further.
Supposedly it is in use at 500 stores already. Also supposedly some AM PMs use this system. I haven't seen it anywhere. I've been to most of the newer AM PMs in Northern California that have opened in the past couple years too. Another new one is opening soon in Colfax, maybe it will have this system.

Given how many c-store transactions involve liquor or tobacco I think use for this will be limited.

Maverik self checkouts do not seem to get much use, and the employees actually deter you from using them. Last time I used it, I charged myself the wrong drink size and the manager who was arranging displays on the sales floor came over and I had already added the right drink size onto the purchase and explained I just needed the first one voided and he said I am voiding the whole thing go over there and the cashier will help you (cashier had no line but was busy eating a slice of pizza).
Super S

Post by Super S »

Do some modern scanners have this feature built in already? I ask because I have noticed that the self-checkout scanners (new within the last few years) at Walmart have a camera symbol on them.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart still uses barcode scanning. They do have cameras that watch to see if you fail to ring up items.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I finally came across a Circle K with this system.

You walk up to the unit and put your items down on it. There is a scanner flat, and also overhead. It easily recognized an Extra Large Foam Cup Soda with lid on it and a bag of nuts and tallied them both up immediately the second I put them down.

I am not sure how this machine would process if you used a Polar Pop (Soda) cup and filled it with something more expensive like Froster or Iced Coffee or something. With the foam cups that are not see through, I don't think it could. Unless they were able to do something with the weight recognition.

There is an item search function as well. The system will direct you to do an item search if it can't figure out what you have (like if you wrap an item in napkins). I suspect if you do a drink refill in a cup that they don't recognize that would happen too.

So this system I'd say it is okay. It may be scalable to a grocery store express lane perhaps but would need a strict item limit.

When paying the machine is a completely different point of sale than the standard Circle K cash register but it accepts credit cards.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It may be faster, but is it worth it for the added cost? Will other self-checkout makers use this technology? It seems OK for a small number of items, but not 20 items like at a supermarket.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 5:18 pm...It seems OK for a small number of items, but not 20 items like at a supermarket.
20 items? Try 6 (six).

Was buying water. Had six bottles of plain water and one of sparkling. The scanner first rang up three sparkling waters and three plain. Then it rang up four plain and three sparkling. Then it just stopped.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: November 21st, 2022, 5:56 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 5:18 pm...It seems OK for a small number of items, but not 20 items like at a supermarket.
20 items? Try 6 (six).

Was buying water. Had six bottles of plain water and one of sparkling. The scanner first rang up three sparkling waters and three plain. Then it rang up four plain and three sparkling. Then it just stopped.
It must be unable to count since the bottles are see through.

I wonder how shrink is in stores with this system.

I also noticed if you didn't want an item you could just take it and put it aside and it left the screen automatically (no employee approval for void needed).

Sounds like it needs a 3 item limit.

Supposedly AM PM uses this system too. Yet a new AM PM just opened in Colfax, CA does not have self checkout.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Was in two newly opened Circle Ks in Las Vegas last week. Neither had this self checkout.

One was a "Circle K Dealer" but the other was a corporate operated Circle K.

However I did see this self checkout in use at multiple unattended snack carts scattered around Las Vegas Airport.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Several of my local stores have had this for some time. Let me give you some insights:

1. The stores are using this as an excuse for fewer employees. Every store using these has only one person behind the counter, and they are usually just on their phone.
2. They are HIGHLY inaccurate. An example: I buy Coke Zero 24oz. These frequently ring up as 20oz. Saves me some money, but it's wrong. I've had one ring one of each.
3. They break. A lot.
4. Cash option is almost never available.