99 Cents Only

storewanderer

Re: 99 Cents Only

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:55 pm Have there been any improvements in product selection at the 99 Stores? Are there higher quality products at a higher price point? Does every item cost $1.99, $2.99, etc? What is the reason why customers should shop at these rebranded stores? It really does not sound very appealing.

Has Dollar Tree improved their selection of products after the price hikes? Is anything a good value anymore?

What is a better value? Walmart, Dollar Tree, or The 99 Store?
The better value day in and day out today, tomorrow, yesterday, is Wal Mart. These other stores, from time to time they will be a better value than Wal Mart. The products seem to ebb and flow in. Some weeks/months/years are better than others. 99 Only is VERY inconsistent from week to week on how good its mix is. Dollar Tree is very inconsistent with so many poorly run/poorly stocked stores where anything good gets taken immediately and there is just junk left.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: October 1st, 2022, 9:09 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:55 pm Have there been any improvements in product selection at the 99 Stores? Are there higher quality products at a higher price point? Does every item cost $1.99, $2.99, etc? What is the reason why customers should shop at these rebranded stores? It really does not sound very appealing.

Has Dollar Tree improved their selection of products after the price hikes? Is anything a good value anymore?

The better value day in and day out today, tomorrow, yesterday, is Wal Mart. These other stores, from time to time they will be a better value than Wal Mart. The products seem to ebb and flow in. Some weeks/months/years are better than others. 99 Only is VERY inconsistent from week to week on how good its mix is. Dollar Tree is very inconsistent with so many poorly run/poorly stocked stores where anything good gets taken immediately and there is just junk left.
The problem is that Walmart, like everybody else, is aggressively raising its prices. I’ve started going to the 99 more regularly, and there’s typically a handful of grocery bargains. Procure has great pricing too, although the quality is crap.

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

So many wasted trips with hopes of "meaningful" bargains....................

:cry:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:16 am

The problem is that Walmart, like everybody else, is aggressively raising its prices. I’ve started going to the 99 more regularly, and there’s typically a handful of grocery bargains. Procure has great pricing too, although the quality is crap.
Problem is I am so grossed out by the filthy smelly condition of the 99 Stores in Reno, Sparks, and Carson City that I don't feel comfortable buying produce there unless it is in a completely sealed package (berries, salad, carrots, etc.) and even that sealed package is going into a produce bag and not touching their filthy checkstand. Also not sure if 99 does not have any hand washing facilities for their employees in the store but that is how it looks. The restrooms in Reno and Sparks have been closed for months due to plumbing problems, I assume they just don't want people using them as these stores attract a lot of homeless customers.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 8:46 pmProblem is I am so grossed out by the filthy smelly condition of the 99 Stores in Reno, Sparks, and Carson City that I don't feel comfortable buying produce there unless it is in a completely sealed package (berries, salad, carrots, etc.) and even that sealed package is going into a produce bag and not touching their filthy checkstand. Also not sure if 99 does not have any hand washing facilities for their employees in the store but that is how it looks. The restrooms in Reno and Sparks have been closed for months due to plumbing problems, I assume they just don't want people using them as these stores attract a lot of homeless customers.
Some stores are better than others. The El Toro 99's -- once identified as their second highest-grossing store (and probably still among the top) -- produce selection is disgusting, filled with fruit flies and smelling of rot. But a few miles down the street, the Foothills Ranch location actually regularly inspects the produce, tossing out rot. Much cleaner and more pleasant store, but not as much business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: October 4th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Some stores are better than others. The El Toro 99's -- once identified as their second highest-grossing store (and probably still among the top) -- produce selection is disgusting, filled with fruit flies and smelling of rot. But a few miles down the street, the Foothills Ranch location actually regularly inspects the produce, tossing out rot. Much cleaner and more pleasant store, but not as much business.
The one in Sparks has always been rather dirty. The Reno one has gone up and down over the years. The Carson City one used to be great but has become very dirty and poorly stocked. I've been into a lot of the 99 locations around Sacramento and they are always clean with rotated produce. They seem to run to a much different standard in some locations than others.

Last time in SoCal went into one in Carson, think it is a former Ralphs; place was clean and neat and produce was rotated. Some areas not stocked great, but still organized.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

If you have to just select one, I would say Walmart, simply because it has a comprehensive selection. You know you will find what you are looking for. 99 Store is very inconsistent, the last time I went they had no butter, for example. I'm not too sure about Dollar Tree but their pricing is too rigid. They sell many things for $1.25 that you can get for $1 elsewhere.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The 99 Cents Only store in Berkeley, California inside of the old Rivoli Theatre is going to be demolished for condos. This theatre was an amazing piece of classic architecture. There are elaborate paintings preserved on the ceiling. At least with the 99 Store this theatre was kept alive. Now this gem of history will be gone forever. I do not know how the 99 Store survived for so long in high rent Berkeley.

The sales signs are up and customers are filling baskets with tons of items.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/ber ... tors-Picks

http://www.artnet.com/artists/yves-marc ... mRdg7bvZQ2
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 28th, 2022, 5:55 pm The 99 Cents Only store in Berkeley, California inside of the old Rivoli Theatre is going to be demolished for condos. This theatre was an amazing piece of classic architecture. There are elaborate paintings preserved on the ceiling. At least with the 99 Store this theatre was kept alive. Now this gem of history will be gone forever. I do not know how the 99 Store survived for so long in high rent Berkeley.

The sales signs are up and customers are filling baskets with tons of items.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/ber ... tors-Picks

http://www.artnet.com/artists/yves-marc ... mRdg7bvZQ2
In the old days this building would be protected due to its age and former life.

Now in the new era we are in, demolishing for housing seems to be the green light to do... anything. Take down historic buildings, ignore parking needs...

99 Only is a quirky type of chain. My guess is they were willing to move in and do little to the space so they worked out as a tenant. Also 99 Only serves a need in the community as a source for low priced goods. It is possible the property owner over the years made it so 99 Only could stay there, knowing it serves a significant need in the community as a source for low priced goods. Obviously now whoever owns the property is going for the ultimate pay day...
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

I stopped at The 99 for the first time in awhile tonight. The Foothills Ranch (CA) location has received the new interior layout and interior signage, although they didn’t paint the store walls or update the exterior signage (and that’s a good thing, as this is the one of their nicest locations). The remodels increase the amount of space devoted to general merchandise, seasonal and snacks while sharply decreasing other sections (for example, “pharmacy” use to take up one side of an entire aisle but now occupies only the end of it).

Biggest observation: the store is open until 11PM daily through Christmas Eve (was 8pm Sun, 9pm M-Sat.). Of course, their website nor app mentions nothing about Holiday hours nor dis they notify Google/ Yelp/ etc. so at 9PM, I was the only person in the store.

Like everywhere else, prices continue to escalate and item sizes continue to shrink. But I was surprised at how high some of their produce was — 12 oz bagged romaine hearts were selling for $3.99, which is the same as Albertsons and Ralphs sell larger 18 oz bags for, and the 99’s label was entirely in Spanish.

Maybe because of the proximity of the Albertsons distribution center, this store had a ton of refrigerated Signature Select items. 16 oz Primo Taglio lunch meats were $3.99, which was a decent deal.

There was lots of empty shelves in this store, and once again, pretty much everything is mismarked (but you can use the app to scan items with). Ultimately, I walked out buying nothing. Maybe next time.