KATU-TV: Supermarket Price Comparison

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

KATU-TV: Supermarket Price Comparison

Post by SamSpade »

Comparing grocery store prices amidst record inflation
Clearly an "inner east side" shop with Fred Meyer, QFC, Safeway, and Trader Joe's on the list.
storewanderer

Re: KATU-TV: Supermarket Price Comparison

Post by storewanderer »

"Broccolini" instead of Broccoli. Sourdough Bread instead of standard bread. Dill? Kale? Feta Cheese?

For price comparisons to have much use they need to be of the items most commonly purchased by a household. Standard staple foods. It doesn't matter what you price compare, there are a lot of variances between stores. But when you throw too many specialty items into the mix it loses relevance to the average consumer.

I know this can be hard for some people to stomach. Many years ago I used to complain whenever there was a sale there was a ton of Coke Classic available but the Coke Cherry sold out quickly. Then I would complain there was no Tin Roof Sundae ice cream left yet tons of Vanilla in multiple SKUs. I was eventually shown how much more Coke Classic sells than Coke Cherry and how much more Vanilla Ice Cream sells than those other flavors... and I get it now. I don't get why so many people gravitate to what I consider to be boring items, and not venture to more interesting flavors/other items entirely, but habit is habit.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

It must also be noted that this news story is from a Sinclair station whose parent company isn't to far off from the Murdoch empire on the 'fair and balanced' scale.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: June 12th, 2022, 11:27 pm It must also be noted that this news story is from a Sinclair station whose parent company isn't to far off from the Murdoch empire on the 'fair and balanced' scale.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Given the items selected I'd argue they were turning over a new leaf.