Starbucks Closes Unionized Store

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Starbucks Closes Unionized Store

Post by veteran+ »

We will have to just disagree.

I am pro employee and pro human (customer) first and foremost.

Corporations and executives and many "managers" do NOT get a pass from me so their excuses and finger pointing (Kool-Aid) dosen't work with me. Like I said, business does not fail because of the Union, employee or customer (or even "regulations").

But that does not mean that Unions or employees are perfect. It is no coincidence that the middle class has diminished as the Unions were evicerated by big business and their allies.

P.S. I was not suggesting YOU drink the Kool-Aid :)
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Starbucks Closes Unionized Store

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: June 14th, 2022, 2:16 pm Grease traps when configured improperly are not easy to fix. If the placement was difficult they may have had to half demolish the facility to dig them out and replace them. For a big box like a grocery store this is a cost of doing business. But for a little coffee shop like a Starbucks there is zero reason to do this work when they can walk away from their likely year to year lease, close and open in a new building elsewhere. That way they leave the defective construction for the landlord to deal with. The cost structure of a coffee shop, even in a chain of tens of thousands, would not be able to accommodate such costly construction. And before anyone talks about how many billions of dollars Starbucks makes they're still a business which has a obligation to shareholders to make appropriate financial decisions. Based on the plumbing situation as described in other news stories, which would cause the building to fill with foul odors similar to raw sewage as well as drain overflows, there is no way they could or would retain such a store even if the CEO had a satellite office in the back room.
Or, if they are LEASING the building, they could fix the problem and withhold the cost of doing so from their rent, if the landlord wouldn't fix it (as they are required to do).

So, no reason to leave a site (and the costs that go with that for moving, fitting out a new location and even advertising to let people know where they went to).