Petco opens first farm animal focused store

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Petco opens first farm animal focused store

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 69334.html
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/16/business ... index.html

Petco is opening the first of their new Neighborhood Farm and Pet stores in Floresville TX today, with an additional focus on farm animals alongside more traditional pet products. I haven't been able to find any photos of the actual store, but the press release has a number of renderings. They expect to open 15 of these stores in rural areas by the end of 2022.
Alpha8472

Re: Petco opens first farm animal focused store

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are stores in the San Francisco Bay Area, California that sell chicks and farm animal feed. Will these Petco stores sell chicks and ducklings?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I expect Petco to fail with these stores. Petco with its California attitude and California pricing will fail in rural areas. There are already established retailers in these areas who are taking care of these customers.

I thought Petco was pushing a new Petco prototype with expanded "services" and very top of the line interior renovations in certain showplace type locations in CA. What happened? Too low of a return on investment for those, so now they shift to cheap development in cheaper markets?

Also comes off as a watered down version of Tractor Supply.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

They can’t complete with Tractor Supply and the various Farm & Fleet chains…who also have other livestock supplies like stock tanks, fence panels, fencing supplies, animal health supplies, etc.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

jamcool wrote: June 17th, 2022, 11:28 pm They can’t complete with Tractor Supply and the various Farm & Fleet chains…who also have other livestock supplies like stock tanks, fence panels, fencing supplies, animal health supplies, etc.
They might have all that. It's hard to tell from the renderings what's in the Yard and Garage outdoor areas. While the odds are long that this will succeed, Farm and Ranch stores are a growing segment. The ideal locations might be in areas that aren't totally rural but outer suburbs where there are people with hobby farms and ranches, and are familiar with the Petco brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: June 18th, 2022, 9:57 am
jamcool wrote: June 17th, 2022, 11:28 pm They can’t complete with Tractor Supply and the various Farm & Fleet chains…who also have other livestock supplies like stock tanks, fence panels, fencing supplies, animal health supplies, etc.
They might have all that. It's hard to tell from the renderings what's in the Yard and Garage outdoor areas. While the odds are long that this will succeed, Farm and Ranch stores are a growing segment. The ideal locations might be in areas that aren't totally rural but outer suburbs where there are people with hobby farms and ranches, and are familiar with the Petco brand.
I don't think the Petco brand is particularly strong in outer suburbs among people with hobby farms and ranches. I would even venture a guess these consumers have a negative perception of Petco due to its high pricing and limited selection. And Petco's marketing in recent years runs completely counter to what those types of customers look for/care about.

If I were Petco I would not have put my name onto this new format.