Nugget opening Rocklin store

California. No non-grocery posts.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Nugget opening Rocklin store

Post by lake52 »

Nugget is opening a new Rocklin store. Although they don’t currently have a Rocklin store, they have two stores (including their brand new West Roseville store) less than 5 miles away. They will have 3 stores within 4 highway exits of one another. I guess Nugget found that the demand is pretty much endless in this area which makes sense given the demand and wealth.

Nugget truly is a great operator, one of the best on the West Coast if not the country. Always great when they expand, especially since their new stores always seem to keep or expand on their reputation.

I had heard Raley’s was sniffing around this location for a while. In general this seems like a good location with little competition. You have a Raley’s and Safeway up in Lincoln and a bunch of Roseville stores about 5 miles south. There is also a very low volume Save Mart about 10 mins away, I would say this is a death sentence but Save Mart should have closed the store 10 years ago if volume was a factor. Maybe they have a sweet lease and some tax incentives to stay open.

UC Davis is also building a hospital nearby among other development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... enter.html
storewanderer

Re: Nugget opening Rocklin store

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 4:42 pm Nugget is opening a new Rocklin store. Although they don’t currently have a Rocklin store, they have two stores (including their brand new West Roseville store) less than 5 miles away. They will have 3 stores within 4 highway exits of one another. I guess Nugget found that the demand is pretty much endless in this area which makes sense given the demand and wealth.

Nugget truly is a great operator, one of the best on the West Coast if not the country. Always great when they expand, especially since their new stores always seem to keep or expand on their reputation.

I had heard Raley’s was sniffing around this location for a while. In general this seems like a good location with little competition. You have a Raley’s and Safeway up in Lincoln and a bunch of Roseville stores about 5 miles south. There is also a very low volume Save Mart about 10 mins away, I would say this is a death sentence but Save Mart should have closed the store 10 years ago if volume was a factor. Maybe they have a sweet lease and some tax incentives to stay open.

UC Davis is also building a hospital nearby among other development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... enter.html
The Rocklin Save Mart was remodeled recently. It is one of Save Mart's better performing stores. It is low volume (especially for its size) but for Save Mart that is a solidly performing store. It performs better than a couple of their other still open stores around Sacramento perform.

I am glad to see Nugget go back to 50,000 square feet on this newest store. The Blue Oaks Nugget is only 42,000 square feet and I was a little surprised they did not go larger. Nugget does a great store no matter what size it is, but they just get better and better the bigger they are.

After this, I wonder if Nugget will be 2nd in marketshare in that Roseville/Rocklin sub-market? I assume Safeway would be first (especially with another new store coming).

I'm still disappointed Nugget did not proceed with Truckee but I think it was the right business decision for them.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

I would imagine Nugget would still be third for traditional grocers.

You’re correct that Safeway is a clear first, all of their stores are very busy in Roseville/Rocklin. Sierra College is a clear first but Cirby/Sunrise, Pleasant Grove, Park Dr, and Granite Dr do great volume. Woodcreek Oaks is a little slower but that’s compared to very high volume stores.

Raley’s has some very high performing stores in Roseville/Rocklin. All three Bel Air’s are very high volume and the Raley’s Pleasant Grove does good business. Verdict is still out on ONE and the Douglas Blvd saga is covered in another thread. I’d also imagine the part of Rocklin where this store is going bleeds into Lincoln. The Lincoln Raley’s outperforms the Lincoln Safeway.

If we go non-traditional Walmart would probably be between Safeway and Raley’s, the Pleasant Grove Walmart does very high volumes. Then there are 2 other super centers (albeit the Lead Hill store is quite small for a super center) and 2 Neighborhood Markets to add.
Last edited by lake52 on June 24th, 2022, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:35 pm I would imagine Nugget would still be third for traditional grocers.

You’re correct that Safeway is a clear first, all of their stores are very busy in Roseville/Rocklin. Sierra College is a clear first but Cirby/Sunrise, Pleasant Grove, Park Dr, and Granite Dr do great volume. Woodcreek Oaks is a little slower but that’s compared to very high volume stores.

Raley’s has some very high performing stores in Roseville/Rocklin. All three Bel Air’s are very high volume and the Raley’s Pleasant Grove does good business. Verdict is still out on ONE and the Douglas Blvd saga is covered in another thread. I’d also imagine the part of Rocklin where this store is going bleeds into Lincoln. The Lincoln Raley’s outperforms the Lincoln Safeway.

If we go non-traditional Walmart would probably be between Safeway and Raley’s, the Pleasant Grove Walmart does very high volumes. Then there are 2 super centers (albeit the Lead Hill store is quite small for a super center) and 2 Neighborhood Markets to add.
I forget Wal Mart around Roseville/Rocklin. There you have 3 Supercenters (Sierra College, Pleasant Grove, Lead Hill) and 2 Neighborhood Markets (Rocklin Pacific, Granite Bay). I don't think Lead Hill does much business and I'm guessing the two Neighborhood Markets do enough to survive but definitely aren't breaking any sales records.

Seems the real loser in this zone is Save Mart. They have that Foothills Store which for some reason isn't being remodeled, that Rocklin Store which as you point out is really low volume, and no Food Maxx presence. In this active new store development area, it seems like Save Mart, especially with a distribution center in Roseville, should have gotten in on the action. At this point things may be about tapped out. The fact that Save Mart picked Rocklin for remodel (which was a newer store, about 2003, and frankly looked just fine) over Roseville (I think opened in about 1997 and had original Lucky interior until the day Save Mart came in and did their awful conversion repaint), is quite telling. They should get a remodel in on Foothills rapidly.

Roseville is a spot where Safeway seriously "cleaned up" from the mess of Albertsons/Lucky. They were able to build multiple new stores while Albertsons was almost dead (though they did get that Rocklin store built), Raleys was suffering from that Las Vegas mess, and Ralphs tried to get in on the action with the Woodcreek Oaks Store but of course closed it and Nugget passed on it (then Raleys got it). The Safeway units are all quite successful as you point out. The timing was sure good for them.