Employees Want To Fight Back

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Employees Want To Fight Back

Post by Alpha8472 »

Attacks on retail employees has gotten so bad recently, that some unions have won the right for employees to fight back against violent customers. I have seen many crazy customers get into fights with fellow employees. I have seen women get beaten up and grown men just stand by and watch.

I have seen huge men shove female employees to the ground just so that they could race into the store at the last minute to shop. Customers these days have no manners and are acting like spoiled children. What happens when you grow up and you never get told "No."? There are many people who believe that they are above rules and can do anything they want without consequences. If employees are being beaten up, employees should be allowed to defend themselves and fight back. Most of the time if an employee lays a hand on a customer they are terminated. There is no flexibility.

I have seen elderly employees get yelled at by young spoiled customers. These customers are vicious. What do they do all day long? Do they not have a job? I don't see how anyone with such social skills can even maintain any type of a job.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-attacks ... 56439.html
pseudo3d

Re: Employees Want To Fight Back

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 12:37 am If employees are being beaten up, employees should be allowed to defend themselves and fight back. Most of the time if an employee lays a hand on a customer they are terminated. There is no flexibility.
The reason as to why is because there's so much bad press in fighting back against customers and the threat of lawsuits. Even if the retailers and the unions signed off on it, it will either be eviscerated by the 9th Circuit, spend years milling around in the court system, or some incident will spark some sort of huge controversy.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: June 29th, 2022, 1:04 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 12:37 am If employees are being beaten up, employees should be allowed to defend themselves and fight back. Most of the time if an employee lays a hand on a customer they are terminated. There is no flexibility.
The reason as to why is because there's so much bad press in fighting back against customers and the threat of lawsuits. Even if the retailers and the unions signed off on it, it will either be eviscerated by the 9th Circuit, spend years milling around in the court system, or some incident will spark some sort of huge controversy.
This is a messy situation. At some point the employee has to make a decision and determine what to do. If the employee may be permanently harmed from not defending themself, they need to defend themself. So what if they lose their job.

Long ago I used to hear the story of that graveyard shift c-store clerk who would have a gun under the counter since they worked alone and were afraid of a robbery. Who knows if that was true or just a joke but this type of controversy over employees protecting themselves has been going on for years.

One time I went into a 7-Eleven very late at night and the clerk was there behind the counter and there was a very large dog relaxing on the floor behind the counter. I commented on the dog and the clerk said the owner wouldn't let her keep a gun with her, so she brought the big dog instead.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote: June 29th, 2022, 1:04 pm
Conflating a tad there?