Kroger Online Delivery

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by jamcool »

Kroger is going full blast into on-line delivery, what with the Ocado facilities being placed even is areas where Kroger has no stores. It makes you wonder if the regional store names under Kroger will eventually go away, between mostly Kroger branded products, Kroger Health, Kroger Delivery, Kroger Financial, Kroger branded credit cards, etc. Maybe they will keep the upscale brands like Harris Teeter, QFC, Fred Meyer, etc.
storewanderer

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 5:34 pm Kroger is going full blast into on-line delivery, what with the Ocado facilities being placed even is areas where Kroger has no stores. It makes you wonder if the regional store names under Kroger will eventually go away, between mostly Kroger branded products, Kroger Health, Kroger Delivery, Kroger Financial, Kroger branded credit cards, etc. Maybe they will keep the upscale brands like Harris Teeter, QFC, Fred Meyer, etc.
The regional brands basically have gone away. The signs are still out front but that is about it. At Smiths they have these now hiring signs that say Smiths then have a picture of employees in blue shirts that say Kroger. This is the type of crap Safeway was doing when they had zero regard for the regional brands. The difference of course is that Safeway ruined the stores it bought and sent customers away.

While I am not happy with what has come of Kroger's operation especially in the past six or so years, the fact is the stores are much higher volume under Kroger at the present time, than they were in, let's just say, 2002 (when the divisions were basically all doing their own thing). Kroger has obviously brought things to the table for many of these stores to drive sales and maintain that volume. So there is that.

I think Fred Meyer, QFC, Food4Less, Mariano's, and FoodsCo are all safe banners that simply would not make sense to convert to Kroger as they are basically different formats. Harris Teeter would also be dumb to convert to Kroger because Harris Teeter is able to command higher prices and has a better reputation than Kroger in like markets. At that point if you still have that many "other banners" you are keeping, maybe you just keep them all.

It would also cost a lot to rebrand the stores. I'm not sure it would be worth it. They could basically route all web traffic that goes to ralphs.com or whatever.com to Kroger.com.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by Brian Lutz »

Fred Meyer would be difficult for Kroger to rebrand just because of the risk of lost brand loyalty, but QFC would probably be a lot easier. Ever since they remodeled most of the QFC stores out of the Fresh Fare decor package they've basically moved them more and more toward generic Kroger decor and operations, to the point that I'm not sure there's much to distinguish a QFC from any other Kroger store anymore. That said, I think they'd more likely shut down the QFC division and roll what's left into Fred Meyer before they'd rebrand the stores to Kroger.
storewanderer

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:16 pm Fred Meyer would be difficult for Kroger to rebrand just because of the risk of lost brand loyalty, but QFC would probably be a lot easier. Ever since they remodeled most of the QFC stores out of the Fresh Fare decor package they've basically moved them more and more toward generic Kroger decor and operations, to the point that I'm not sure there's much to distinguish a QFC from any other Kroger store anymore. That said, I think they'd more likely shut down the QFC division and roll what's left into Fred Meyer before they'd rebrand the stores to Kroger.
QFC is much different from a standard Kroger operation in one way- pricing. Outrageous pricing. And it is uncalled for given their offering (standard Kroger stuff, nothing special anymore).

To be fair I know a few of QFC's flagship stores do have better offerings, but the lines sure do blur at most QFCs. Those ones around Portland are a complete joke. I'd shop in a Safeway before them, every time.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Kroger Online Delivery

Post by BatteryMill »

https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/ ... 748749001/

Something interesting along the lines, it seems as if a lot of proposed Krogers have been languishing or being cancelled while Kroger is investing heavily into online fulfillment and Ocado. I wonder why they choose that over any physical expansion.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

For many people it is a hassle, or don’t have time, to shop for groceries. And the building/maintenance/staffing of retail keeps going up in price.

[Admin note: Removed offensive comment.]
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: October 8th, 2022, 9:56 pm For many people it is a hassle, or don’t have time, to shop for groceries. The Chinese Virus just accelerated this situation. And the building/maintenance/staffing of retail keeps going up in price.
Kroger just doesn't build many new stores. Their new stores are great when they finally do one though. I wish they'd do more.

The fulfillment centers they are building are either automated or waystations of sorts supplied from an automated facility a few hours further away. Either way the labor to do this must be significantly less than a normal store. I just question if they can get $750,000 a week in sales out of one of these little waystations the way they could out of an actual store. But maybe the expenses are so much lower that they don't need nearly that. I'd be very curious what kind of volume they need to make the waystations profitable. They are entering a lot of new markets with these waystations.

I equate the Kroger model to a bread business. Bread Co. has a plant in large city that bakes tons of breads, a lot of automated machinery doing this, then the bread is organized onto crates and put onto racks onto a big truck. Bread co then drives that big truck full of bread from plant to small depots located in various smaller markets and depot breaks it out into orders for individual stores. Depots then have small vans that take the completed orders of specific bread and deliver it to individual stores. Seems to be very similar but replace stores with houses.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BatteryMill wrote: October 8th, 2022, 6:14 pm https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/ ... 748749001/

Something interesting along the lines, it seems as if a lot of proposed Krogers have been languishing or being cancelled while Kroger is investing heavily into online fulfillment and Ocado. I wonder why they choose that over any physical expansion.
It seems that Kroger is under capitalizing my area as well. The stores look really beaten up and of course NO new stores!
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

veteran+ wrote: October 9th, 2022, 7:03 am
BatteryMill wrote: October 8th, 2022, 6:14 pm https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/ ... 748749001/

It seems that Kroger is under capitalizing my area as well. The stores look really beaten up and of course NO new stores!
In the Phoenix, AZ area they're still opening up new stores.

One opened last week: https://ktar.com/story/5222337/frys-to- ... ext-month/

One opened in January: https://ktar.com/story/4811453/frys-foo ... wednesday/

There are also plans for 2 more stores:

Asante Marketplace: Barclay group is developing another grocery-anchored neighborhood center in the Asante master-planned community at the northwest corner of Pat Tillman Boulevard and 163rd Avenue. The 20-acre site will comprise a 167,205-square-foot neighborhood retail center anchored by Fry's in Surprise.

Vistancia Point: In Peoria, Barclay Group plans to build another Fry's-anchored retail center at the southeast corner of El Mirage Road and Lone Mountain Parkway. A brochure for the property shows that Fry's, which purchased 13 acres on the site this year, will occupy a 123,722-square-foot space. About six additional retail buildings totaling approximately 33,300 square feet also are proposed.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/new ... eoria.html

What's also interesting is that post-merger Albertsons/Safeway is also opening up new stores in the Phoenix area.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

arizonaguy wrote: October 9th, 2022, 8:29 am
veteran+ wrote: October 9th, 2022, 7:03 am

In the Phoenix, AZ area they're still opening up new stores.

One opened last week: https://ktar.com/story/5222337/frys-to- ... ext-month/

One opened in January: https://ktar.com/story/4811453/frys-foo ... wednesday/

There are also plans for 2 more stores:

Asante Marketplace: Barclay group is developing another grocery-anchored neighborhood center in the Asante master-planned community at the northwest corner of Pat Tillman Boulevard and 163rd Avenue. The 20-acre site will comprise a 167,205-square-foot neighborhood retail center anchored by Fry's in Surprise.

Vistancia Point: In Peoria, Barclay Group plans to build another Fry's-anchored retail center at the southeast corner of El Mirage Road and Lone Mountain Parkway. A brochure for the property shows that Fry's, which purchased 13 acres on the site this year, will occupy a 123,722-square-foot space. About six additional retail buildings totaling approximately 33,300 square feet also are proposed.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/new ... eoria.html

What's also interesting is that post-merger Albertsons/Safeway is also opening up new stores in the Phoenix area.
NOT fair and I am so jealous!

😡😡😡😡