Oil Change Places and Car Repair

Alpha8472

Oil Change Places and Car Repair

Post by Alpha8472 »

Do most people get oil changes at chain oil change places or do you get auto repairs from an independent auto shop?

I have seen Jiffy Lube locations go out of business. I find that these chains often have horrible service and people keep coming back. There are long lines, poor service, and you never see the same employees. Everyone is quitting left and right.

There are many independent auto shops around, but they don't seem as convenient.

There have been consolidations in recent years. I remember Oil Can Henry's as a themed oil change place. They had employees wearing bow ties and old fashioned uniforms. Then they were taken over by Valvoline. There are some Chevron Drive Thru oil change places too. These places do not have gas pumps. They only do oil changes. I don't know about you, but these big brand names don't appeal to me. I certainly don't think Chevron is that great of a brand for a quick oil change place.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on July 6th, 2022, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Oil Change Places and Car Repair

Post by rwsandiego »

I have my car serviced at Firestone, as has been my habit since the 1980's. In more than thirty years I've had only one (1) issue with them. It was a service manager who refused to honor a tire replacement warranty. He claimed I hadn't rotated the tires, which voided the warranty. When I inquired as to why his store didn't perform the rotation every time the oil was changed, as I requested and was covered under the lifetime rotation plan, he backed off. The DM was very interested in my complaint.

Thinking back, I've had five cars serviced there at eight different locations in three cities.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The only Firestone that I know of is one in the parking lot of JCPenney. It is a very large auto center that seems to be made out of concrete brick much like the 1960s era concrete brick JCPenney.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 6th, 2022, 11:05 pm The only Firestone that I know of is one in the parking lot of JCPenney. It is a very large auto center that seems to be made out of concrete brick much like the 1960s era concrete brick JCPenney.
I think JC Penney at one time had their own auto centers. Perhaps this was previously a JCP Auto Center. In Citrus Heights at Sunrise Mall there is also a Firestone that was located near the JC Penney and looked to be of a similar exterior build, but not quite 100%.

Also there at Sunrise there is a Goodyear Auto Center near one of the Macys. That was previously a Weinstocks Auto Center.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

There was a human interest story 10 years or so ago about a 90 year old woman who'd bought a JCPenney battery with a lifetime warranty for her 1964 Mercury Comet and kept going back for new batteries even after Firestone took over JCP Auto. Looks like it's reasonably widespread.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/346613-ha ... -recently/
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

JCP Phased out the auto centers when they phased out hard lines. Depending on the location, they went to various chains or franchises. Many became Goodyear.

Firestone supplied a lot of the auto centers operated by mainline department stores like the May chains.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I bring mine to the dealership.

If I found a trusted independant local "mechanic" I would go there.

I'm not a fan of the chains like Jiffy, PepBoys, etc.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I used to always use Valvoline Instant Oil Change and never had many issues before. I'd see the same employees most of the time. However in the last few years it seemed like they started to get very pushy about offering additional services. They also insisted that I use full synthetic oil in my car.

Sometimes I'd have a pleasant experience and the employees would be great and helpful, the next time I'd go the employees were all different and would be rude and pushy.

I finally decided to just stop going and I now take my car to the express garage that the dealership I bought it from operates. They are far more knowledgeable and friendlier and you get people who actually know about the car they are working on.

The people at those quik lube type places often don't have any experience and likely little to know training about what they are working on.

The only issue is I do still have to make an appointment and it takes around an hour. That hour included a tire rotation too. Regardless I'd rather make that trip, even though the Valvoline is much closer to me.

The pricing isn't any worse different either. In fact, last month, it came out almost $10 less to have the oil changed AND tires rotated at the dealership's garage, than ONLY to have the oil changed at the Valvoline.

The lines were also quite long at the Valvoline, I used to get through quickly but anymore I'd be waiting half an hour anyway from the time I got in line until I left. Sometimes it would be so backed up they'd say it would take an hour, so I'd leave.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I do my own oil changes and as much maintenance and repair as I am able to. I have had occasions where I have used the dealership for warranty/recalls or anything involving reprogramming modules etc. (I did this for a living in a past career)

For tires and alignments I use a local tire shop I trust.

I occasionally have had oil changes done at the dealership.

I would not let Jiffy Lube touch any of my vehicles. I have heard too many horror stories. In some cases they have unplugged headlight connectors to sell bulb replacement, and recommended air filters on cars with a few thousand miles on the odometer, and I know of at least three instances where they used the wrong fluids during a transmission flush as well as a coolant flush where they used old green antifreeze in place of the orange GM Dex Cool, and the residual Dex Cool mixed and caused the system to clog. Fluids are very specific from one brand to the next, and modern vehicles do not operate properly if you use the wrong stuff. And many of the quick lube places in general like to consolidate part numbers and often use smaller filters because "they fit" but aren't really designed for the application. Many Ford and GM truck applications are good examples of that. At least at dealerships and regular garages you usually get the correct filter for the job.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Yeah I use a local shop for my tires, they always do a great job and have competitive rates. I've also used a local transmission shop and found them to be good too.

I wouldn't have any speedy oil change place do any other services besides changing the oil. I don't think very many people do, I've never heard of anyone doing this or seeing it done there, it seems to be all oil changes.

If something simple needs to be done like changing the air filter or replacing light bulbs, or small parts, I just order the parts or buy them locally and do it myself.